Nikolai
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the bonus card for 3-4 places of movement effectively be used like the do-not-move bonus card by using it to go 4 spaces of full circle and end up on your original place?

As I can't see anything in the rules which forbids it, I'd say the wording of the card allows it, but somehow I have my doubts if this is really the intention.
Additionally, this would make the card strictly superior to the do-not-move card, which is why I would prefer a rule that it isn't allowed.

Any official clarification would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for Movement say this.

1. Movement
Move your Merchant and the stack of Assistants under him (if any) by 1 or 2 Places. You may not move diagonally and you must end up on a different Place than you started at.

Emphasis mine.

The bonus card, only changes the distance in which you can move, no other part of the movement rules are adjusted by the bonus card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
The rules for Movement say this.

1. Movement
Move your Merchant and the stack of Assistants under him (if any) by 1 or 2 Places. You may not move diagonally and you must end up on a different Place than you started at.

Emphasis mine.

The bonus card, only changes the distance in which you can move, no other part of the movement rules are adjusted by the bonus card.

Confirmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
You may not move diagonally and you must end up on a different Place than you started at.

I agree that this wording settles my rule question unambiguously.

However, the second part of that sentence about having to end up on a different Place than you started at is simply not there in the German rules! It only says "Diagonale Bewegungen sind dabei nicht erlaubt." and nothing more in the current German rule PDF from Pegasus' website. I didn't read the English rules as the designer of the game is German and so when in doubt, the German rules should probably usually take precedence.
But in this case it doesn't look like the original German rules should take precedence, it looks like an erratum (of omission) in the German PDF. If someone from Pegasus reads this, I suggest correcting it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Darador wrote:
jmathias wrote:
You may not move diagonally and you must end up on a different Place than you started at.

I agree that this wording settles my rule question unambiguously.

However, the second part of that sentence about having to end up on a different Place than you started at is simply not there in the German rules! It only says "Diagonale Bewegungen sind dabei nicht erlaubt." and nothing more in the current German rule PDF from Pegasus' website. I didn't read the English rules as the designer of the game is German and so when in doubt, the German rules should probably usually take precedence.
But in this case it doesn't look like the original German rules should take precedence, it looks like an erratum (of omission) in the German PDF. If someone from Pegasus reads this, I suggest correcting it!
The German rule says: "Bewege deinen Kaufmann ... zu einem anderen Ort", which I hope is umambiguously too.
Best wishes,
Ralph (Pegasus)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barandur wrote:
The German rule says: "Bewege deinen Kaufmann ... zu einem anderen Ort", which I hope is umambiguously too.

Oops, my bad, I completely overlooked that! It may not be as unambiguous as the English version, but still, clear enough. Thanks for mentioning it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious what was meant by 'full circle' in the OP. Just to clarify, the board does not have periodic boundaries. For example you cannot move to the right when on the right-most edge and appear on the left-most edge. Perhaps full-circle means something else, but that's what popped into my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
I'd assume he meant moving, say, right, then down, then left, and then back up, thereby completing a full circle of movement and returning to the space on which he started.

Indeed, that is what I meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.