Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This little dude is "Shadax", the protagonist from the NES game Solstice.
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many others out there, I enjoy Rex but I'm really bothered by the theme. Being a fan of the book and the movie(s), I'm annoyed by how badly the theme of Rex synergizes with the game mechanics, Especially since everything does makes sense if you know the Dune equivalents for all the aspects of the game.

Ever since I got this game I've been toying with the idea to re-theme it myself, and there seems to have been several attempts to this in these forums. I first asked myself, which are the easiest fixes I can do to significally change the feeling of the game. I came up with a couple of ideas.

Step 1 - Game Map
The fact that the map in Rex is close to optimal when considering the number of tokens that can be placed in each space doesn't make up for it being super boring. I continued working from the map in this thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1229211/dune
And made my own version of it. Here's the result:

I'm going to print it on 3x2 A4 papers and stick it to the back of the Rex game board.

Stay tuned for futher ideas.

Edit: Below is a newer map with the sectors more clearly marked. Also the Fremen deployment area is even more marked than before. Also "Sietch Tabar" has been changed to "Sietch Tabr".

Edit 2: A nice gent in france made a much nicer version of the map, available over in the files section:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/111434/retheme-rexs-map-du...

Edit 3: Here's another pimped version of the map which clearly indicates the stronghold spaces.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2315101
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ronke
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great, though I would get rid of the dashed lines spoking outward from the center. They have meaning in Dune, but I'm not sure they're a good idea to leave in on a Rex map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ronke
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you want to, you can go ahead and connect Carthag to Hagga Basin. It's not officially connected on the Rex board, but it's mathematically equivalent based on the Rex rules (since no player only has a one-space move).

That will allow you to shrink one of the nearby mountains and give Carthag a little more space to breathe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the map in general, but you've got the storm moving in the wrong direction. In Dune, it goes counter-clockwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingalces wrote:
Also, if you want to, you can go ahead and connect Carthag to Hagga Basin. It's not officially connected on the Rex board, but it's mathematically equivalent based on the Rex rules (since no player only has a one-space move).

That will allow you to shrink one of the nearby mountains and give Carthag a little more space to breathe.

Thank's, will do.

(Edit: The map above has been updated)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
I like the map in general, but you've got the storm moving in the wrong direction. In Dune, it goes counter-clockwise.

Please note that I'm not re-theming it to the original game. (Although I am borrowing heavily from it). I'm simply making a Dune-skin to Rex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingalces wrote:
This is great, though I would get rid of the dashed lines spoking outward from the center. They have meaning in Dune, but I'm not sure they're a good idea to leave in on a Rex map.

Yeah, I figured they have some meaning in the old game. My thought was to let the storm just be a token which goes around the perimeter of the map. The sector lines would thus aid in seeing which spaces the storm would affect. You still have to look at the numbers on the spaces anyway, so they are a bit redundant but they may help a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 2 - Faction Sheets

The next major improvement is the faction sheets themselves. Here they are:

Stay tuned for more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 2 b - Ally Advantage Cards

Oh, and by the way. I'll upload a pdf with all of this content when I'm finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 3 - Spice Cards

I had to step a bit outside the movie at this point to find suitable imagery for the spice cards. Fortunately google was very accommodating.
I've also introduced a slight change on the spice/influence cards. The numbers on the spice/influcence symbol denote the sectors in which spice occurs, instead of how much spice which is generated (that amount is printed on the board anyway).

The backs to the cards will be the same as in the original game.

Stay tuned for more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 4 - Strategy Cards

For the attack cards I obviously had to change the names, so I decided to put different pictures on all the weapons. I'm not sure if this will make it easier or harder for people to remember what cards the other players have.

For the non-combat cards I changed some of the names to make them more mnemonic.

I wasn't quite sure what to do with the backs of the strategy cards, so i just went with the title screen from the movie.

Stay tuned for more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step X - Unit miniatures
To spice things up a bit. I've decided to add some painted minis to the re-theming project. I got 5 sets of "gangers" and 1 set of "troopers" from em4-miniatures. Shipping included it was £20.

here they are after assembly.

So, each faction gets 5 minis to replace 5 of their unit tokens. For the emperor, the minis replace the Sardaukar units.
Here they are painted:

Guild troopers and Bene Gesserit witches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 5 - Betrayal Cards

The betrayal cards are a must have in my opinion, since they add an extra dimension of consideration when forming alliances. "Sure, we can have an alliance, If you tell me your betrayal card."

Here they are, the backs are unaltered.

I tried keeping the original names and wording intact as much as possible.

Stay tuned for more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got around to printing the stuff today. So here it is, everything from step 1 through 5 printed and assembled.

For those of you who want to print out your own board, this is how I made mine:
1. Open word or openoffice and create a new document. Set the page size to user and set it to how big you want your board to be. I made mine the same height as the original board (but since this board is square, it is not as wide as the original).
2. Take the image above (click on it and get the full resolution one) and insert into the document, make sure it's fills up the entire document.
3. Export the document a a pdf.
4. Open the pdf in acrobat reader 11 (i think 10 works as well, 9 does not). And print your file. In the settings you should be able to select poster-printing. Make the overlap 0.
5. Print and cut of the margins.
6. Take some old binders which have been lying around since the 90's and cut of the cardboard backs. You may have to cut some of them to fit the middle pieces of the board.
7. Paste your board pieces on the binder backs and voila! You've got yourself a game board.

Stay tuned for more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step X2 - Box Art

Since this is rapidly evolving into a print-a-play version of Rex, I've put together some box art.
The following is designed to make a 37x23x8 (cm) box (outer measurements).

Stay tuned for more stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 6 - Leaders and Traitors

I didn't even want to try to make tokens which would fit into the original battle dials. Morover, it would be very difficult to make pictures of the leaders fit to those tokens and keep them visible. Instead, I've opted to go with small, square leader tokens (roughly 30mm a side). You'll still need to use a "dummy leader" from the original game to select which cards you will play on the battle dial.

Below the leader tokens is my attempt at a storm token for the board.
Stay tuned for more stuff...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 7 - Storm Cards

Stay tuned for more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the stuff from steps 6 and 7, printed and assembled. I made the tokens by printing them on sticky paper and attaching that to an old binder. Cutting out the tokens was a nightmare. Not recommended.

So, what's left to make this a complete stand alone game? I need: Spice tokens, unit tokens, battle dials and perhaps a separate board for the tleilaxu tanks.

Stay tuned for moore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 8 - Unit Tokens

Replacement unit tokens. If you, like me, wanna use miniatures, you only need the upper set*. The dark red tokens are the sardaukar.

Sorry about the resolution on this one...

Stay tuned for Michael ...

(*Edit: Actually, you need 2 Guild tokens from the lower pic, don't worry though, I'll fix that when I put together the final pdf.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 9 - Tleilaxu Tanks Board

A separate board to be placed adjacent to the main board. Dead troops are placed on the board in their respective area.

Stay tuned for Marley...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 10 - Destroyed Location Token

To be placed over Habbanya Ridge Sietch (sector 12) when playing with 3 or four players.

More will come...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 11 - Battle Dials

Check it out:

Printed, cut and assembled:

Still some more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game in progress.

Hillerious comment: in this game Shaddam, Fenring, Leto and Paul were all traitors!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ronke
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very impressive. We should swap files!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to upload the whole thing on bgg, but the file is too big (75 mb pdf...). I know I can split it up but I should probably compress some images within first.

While playing yesterday we figured out that the unique pictures on the weapon cards actually has a big impact on the game, since it is much much easier for players to collectively recall what cards have been played or are still in players hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.