GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Pick Up and Deliver games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Haywood
United Kingdom
Lancaster
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wanting to buy a Pick Up and Deliver game to add to my collection - I like the mechanic but don't have any currently. The only one I've played is Kings of Air and Steam which I really enjoyed, so may end up getting that but wondered what other games there are.

Ideally I'd like a game that plays well with two but can accommodate more, as I'd play two player with my wife and also with my gaming group. Also preferably I'd like a game that plays in 2 hours or less. Though may waive one or both of these criteria if there's a really good game I'm missing out on! Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some don't view them precisely as pick up and deliver, though many do, but

Railways of the World

and

Steam

are both really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
From one Steve to another, I've always been fond of Iron Dragon. Getting to draw your own tracks to optimize your routes is an interesting twist on standard pick up & deliver, to me.

I think that one is OOP now, but in theory any of the other crayon rails games would also fit the bill. I've only played ID and the one on the moon (Lunar Rails?) myself.

Also, if you're in to sci-fi, Firefly is a decent pick up and deliver game. To be fair, the game is more about the theme than the mechanics, but it does qualify as P&D. You'd also have to chuck your 2 hour time frame, at least until you get it down pat. =P

If you're NOT into sci-fi (or Firefly in particular), then forget I mentioned that one. It is a good game, but like I said, it was built around the theme. If that doesn't suit you, there are better games to spend your money on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchant of Venus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up and deliver is not a genre I really play that much but I've heard a lot of good things about Cinque Terre. There is also a GameNight-Episode about it if I'm not mistaken :)

Edit: Here it is: http://boardgamegeek.com/video/33707/cinque-terre/gamenight-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I quite enjoyed Kings of Air and Steam too. It's on my wish list here and I'd like to get it at some point.

As others have said... I'd recommend Railways of the World/Railways of the World. It's a lot of fun but it is better with more people and can take longer than 2 hours.

Merchant of Venus (second edition) is also quite a bit of fun. It can be played 2-player or even solo, but can take a bunch of time too... especially given that you're somewhat at the mercy of die rolls.

Anther game that's quite fun and quick to play is The Great Heartland Hauling Co.. I'd really like to get my own hands on a copy of this but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. I'd check it out though if I were you. Simple, fast, fun, and a tiny game that you can take anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nakmeister wrote:
I'm wanting to buy a Pick Up and Deliver game ... but wondered what other games there are.
One way to research is using the Adv. Search menu pick at the top center of most pages. You can filter on Pick and Deliver as a "Board Game Mechanic".

I think of it as being a little different from the common Pick/Deliver but Cinque Terre is recent and may be the one most getting mentions right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MP Szakos
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coal Baron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin von Allmen
Switzerland
Zuchwil
Zuchwil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steam with the full ruleset is pretty brutal and awesome!
railways of the world is also good and more beginner-friendly
and i like a lot 1830, but its more a stock-market game then a transport-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Merchant of Venus (second edition). In my top 5. Plays great with 2. It might push your time limit a little bit when you're first learning or if you have more than 2 players, but me and my buddy can knock out a game in 90 minutes now that we know what we're doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
XxaviorR wrote:
Anther game that's quite fun and quick to play is The Great Heartland Hauling Co.. I'd really like to get my own hands on a copy of this but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. I'd check it out though if I were you. Simple, fast, fun, and a tiny game that you can take anywhere.

I second The Great Heartland Hauling Co.. As for availability, it's currently sold out, but I believe it was just reprinted and should be available very shortly.

The Empire Builder Rail Games family (including Iron Dragon and Empire Builder) is pretty good. We found that Empire Builder took a long time to zero in on the most effective routes, but thought EuroRails had a more obvious best route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
+1 to Merchant of Venus (second edition). In my top 5. Plays great with 2. It might push your time limit a little bit when you're first learning or if you have more than 2 players, but me and my buddy can knock out a game in 90 minutes now that we know what we're doing.

Another vote for Merchant of Venus (second edition). If you think it's too long, you can always decide in advance that you'll only play to a certain amount of money or number of rounds.

Also +1 for Empire Builder Rail Games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Pesti
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in same situation as the OP. Played Kings of Air and Steam, probably buying but looking for others too. Played Himalaya, didn't like it so much. Now looking at Keyflower, has Pick up & Deliver listed, but does it have that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Steam +1

Heartland Hauling +1

Merkator - Underrated Uwe Rosenberg, plays well with two.

First Train to Nuremberg - Another Martin Wallace train game. The randomized setup really makes the game. I have played with three, but believe it would work with two.

Finca - Not listed as pick up and deliver, but I'm not sure why. Regardless, if you like such games this should be on your radar. Plays best with two, my wife's favorite game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haywood
United Kingdom
Lancaster
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Definitely a few out of print ones to go on my watchlist to try and pick up some time (Railways of the World, Great Heartland Hauling Co etc). At the moment I'm thinking of going for either Cinque Terre or one of the crayon rails games - really interesting concept.

Merkator - had forgotten about that, played it years ago and enjoyed it at the time, may check it out again.

Really like the look of Merchant of Venus too, but looks like it could be quite a long game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nakmeister wrote:
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Definitely a few out of print ones to go on my watchlist to try and pick up some time (Railways of the World, Great Heartland Hauling Co etc). At the moment I'm thinking of going for either Cinque Terre or one of the crayon rails games - really interesting concept.

Merkator - had forgotten about that, played it years ago and enjoyed it at the time, may check it out again.

Really like the look of Merchant of Venus too, but looks like it could be quite a long game.

Railways of the World is easily available at regular price. In fact there are some new copies in the marketplace for well under MSRP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants & Marauders is also a good choice if you don't mind some options for conflict
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haywood
United Kingdom
Lancaster
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

Railways of the World is easily available at regular price. In fact there are some new copies in the marketplace for well under MSRP.

Alas I'm the wrong side of the pond, here in the UK it doesn't seem to be available at the moment from my usual stores, cheapest is £90/$140 on Amazon UK marketplace. However if it is easily available elsewhere it should turn up in stock again before too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Steam.

Kings of Air and Steam is one of the few that plays up to 7 right out of the box. Modular map for good replayability, and more depth than at first appears, especially with all the unique character abilities make it one of my faves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Artdicted
Greece
Athens
Kallithea
flag msg tools
badge
ΓΙΑ ΤΑ ΚΑΣΚΟΛ ΠΟΥ ΕΧΟΥΝ ΠΑΛΙΩΣΕΙ...ΚΑΙ ΓΙΑ ΤΗΝ ΤΡΕΛΑ ΠΟΥ ΠΟΤΕ ΔΕΝ ΘΑ ΤΕΛΕΙΩΣΕΙ
mbmbmbmbmb
Many days later, i just saw the thread.
I recently bought a pick up and deliver and have a blast, talking about Firefly: The Game.

The thing is that it might take you more than 2 hours, and i only play it as a 2 player game, so i don't know how it goes with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.