Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Return to Arkham, Automatically close a gate and Gate Box interaction. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tormod Santi
msg tools
Twice in just two days now, I've found myself in the following situation: I'm in the Other World, I have a Gate Box, and I draw the (blue) Gate card that reads under Other:
"You've completed your task, but now you must escape before the portal closes! Pass a Speed (-2) check to return to Arkham. If you fail, you are lost in time and space. In either event, you automatically close the gate you entered through."
Ugh. So many questions.

1. Can I seal the gate that was automatically closed? I've read through 2 old discussions, here and here. There are a lot of arguments for both sides, but I think I favor the ruling that you cannot seal the gate that was automatically closed. However, this is not really the main question I'm asking myself, but if any official, crystal clear ruling on this can be found somewhere, please point me in that direction.

2. Which gate is the target of the automatic closing? I'm assuming it is the gate I used to enter the Other World, not necessarily the one I will emerge through when I leave. After all, I may end up LiTaS and not emerge through a gate at all. This is also not the main question I'm asking myself, but if I'm wrong, please correct me. I played the game for the first time 2 weeks ago, and I still spend as much time learning rules as I spend playing (going on about 10 games now).

3. I want to use the Gate Box to return to a different gate than the one I entered through (assuming I pass the check). After all, I entered the Other World with the intention of sealing a gate, and I want to see my mission through. I'm assuming this is okay to do, as I read somewhere yesterday in a quite one-sided discussion that when the text "return to Arkham" appears on any card, I may use the Gate Box. Similarly, if there is more than one possible exit for me and I don't have the Gate Box, I assume I can leave through the one I didn't enter, and close+seal that one on my subsequent turn.

Soo... I guess the only questions I'll really be asking are: Am I mistaken on any of these points? Did I miss some rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tormod,

Welcome to the Carnival!

It's great to see a new player and a NewUser on BGG.

As to your questions...

1. Unfortunately, you may not seal the Gate and this has been an issue for many years, but was finally clarified in a long-awaited 40+ page FAQ released late last year, but you do claim the Gate as a Trophy.

2. You typically must leave through the same "destination" Gate. For instance, a Plateau of Leng gate may sit upon the Historical Society, but you entered a Plateau of Leng Gate located at an unstable location in Dunwich. You may choose either Gate. However, moving to #3...

3. The fact that you have a Gate Box makes ANY Gate an acceptable choice from which to depart the Other World.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tormod Santi
msg tools
Then I seem to have solved the situation correctly on all accounts. Taking things literally usually ends up being the correct way I'll get through the rest of the FAQ some time soon, I only had time for 10 pages or so yesterday. Hopefully I'll discover something new I've been doing wrong all along.

Thanks for the reply,
Tormod
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lawson
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:

1. Unfortunately, you may not seal the Gate and this has been an issue for many years, but was finally clarified in a long-awaited 40+ page FAQ released late last year, but you do claim the Gate as a [i]Trophy[/

Are you sure about the trophy part? Page 3 of the FAQ:
Encounters that Close Gates
Some encounters or other card effects state that a gate closes or that the investigator may close a gate if they wish. In such cases, the gate marker is not taken as a trophy, but is instead placed on the bottom of the gate marker stack. This gate cannot be sealed, even if the current player has an Elder Sign, sufficient Clue tokens to seal it, or both.

I always played it that way, discarding the potral token...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,

Thank you very much ~ yes, this might be one of the answers with which I did not agree (like the Find Gate Spell).

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tormod Santi
msg tools
Aha! I had missed something after all! Thanks Mike for pointing that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thread. This is the kind of thing lots of folks will play wrong.

Tormod: welcome to Arkham! Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.