Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Chance

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmb
Keyhole for reference.

And card text for the lazy:
Quote:
Make a run on R&D. If successful, instead of accessing cards, look at the top 3 cards of R&D. Trash 1 of those cards at no cost (even if it cannot normally be trashed) and the Corp shuffles R&D.

Basically I hand the Corp 2 of the 3 cards back for them to shuffle into R&D. No where does it say they can or cannot look at these cards. I would assume the Corp cannot look at these cards just as they cannot look at cards you access from R&D normally (or through RDI, Makers Eye, or Indexing).

I think it's against the spirit of the game to look at these two cards to see which cards were not worth trashing as much as the one that could be trashed. What do you think or is there an official ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is a ruling on this, I'm sure I remember reading it...

My view is that you *can't* do this. Compare the text of the card to, say, Indexing; you wouldn't say that the corp could look at the 5 cards you rearranged, would you? If you *could* do it, I'm sure Keyhole would say 'reveal' in there somewhere.

Looking at the cards the runner didn't trash may give you information about what they are planning (a simple example would be if the 3 cards were a barrier, a code gate and a sentry; knowing which they trashed would give you information about which breakers they had in their grip/stack).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The card says 'look at the top three cards'. That instruction is to the controlling player. Nowhere does it instruct the Corp to look, so no, they can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The important point here is that the Runner is not actually removing cards from R&D when he looks at them (physically, of course, he picks up the cards. But technically, they are still in R&D).
The rule is that Corp can't look at the cards in R&D unless a card effect allows him to. This card effect does not allow him to, so he can't.
If they had intended for the Corp to see the cards, they might have instructed the Runner to "reveal" rather than "look at" the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, there's no reason to allow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Chance

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone. The consensus is "no they cannot." I'm almost certain my friend does it just to bother me but it's still information they shouldn't have access to that can be used to make better decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
They are about to shuffled in and you (the opponent) can cut the deck and shuffle them yourself when you are given the opportunity to do so.

So I personally do not see a problem with it. It's no different than if you play The Maker's Eye and I pop Jackson Howard before you access to shuffle 3 cards in and I look at the top 3 cards of R&D to see what you would have drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
They are about to shuffled in and you (the opponent) can cut the deck and shuffle them yourself when you are given the opportunity to do so.

So I personally do not see a problem with it. It's no different than if you play The Maker's Eye and I pop Jackson Howard before you access to shuffle 3 cards in and I look at the top 3 cards of R&D to see what you would have drawn.

The Corp knowing what the other two cards are means they get to see why you trashed the card you trashed. That might give them some information - like if you trash a particular piece of ICE instead of another one, that tells the corp that your deck or hand is better suited for dealing with the piece of ICE you shuffled back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards should go back on the top of R&D unseen by the corp, then the shuffling should occur. Nowhere does it state to reveal the unselected cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:

There is a difference - the things the Runner sees may give him insight into certain facets of the Corp's strategy, which may change how the Runner plays. If the information is going to affect how the Runner plays, then it can easily be of interest to the Corp.

It's meta-information. It may not have an immediate impact on the game, but it can certainly affect how people make decisions. You aren't allowed to know everything your opponent knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
There is a difference - the things the Runner sees may give him insight into certain facets of the Corp's strategy, which may change how the Runner plays. If the information is going to affect how the Runner plays, then it can easily be of interest to the Corp.

It's meta-information. It may not have an immediate impact on the game, but it can certainly affect how people make decisions. You aren't allowed to know everything your opponent knows.

For example:

The runner sees: Scorched Earth, Hunter, and Hedge Fund. They choose to trash Hedge Fund.

If the corp was allowed to look at the two cards they did not trash (Scorched Earth and Hunter), that would imply that the runner doesn't care about taking tags or meat damage (maybe they're running a resource-less deck and has a Plascrete Carapace in hand.) Which in turn would allow the corp to shift your game plan around that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Chance

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's bordering on pedantic and while I'd like it to not be necessary, the next FAQ should just have one line added:

Quote:
Neither player is allowed to look at any deck before or after shuffling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
Another vote for not allowing the corp to see the cards. First and foremost, there's no ability that allows them to referenced on any of the cards. Secondly, knowing what the opponent knows about your deck can definitely give you a leg up - suddenly that splashed Snare, Scorched Earth or Rototurret is much less likely to be effective - and if you know that they know, you will plan on it being less effective, removing the runner's advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Since no one seems to think the Corp should see the cards, I have a question - what's the reasoning that allows the Corp to do so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:
Since no one seems to think the Corp should see the cards, I have a question - what's the reasoning that allows the Corp to do so?

I saw two reasonings:
A. The card doesn't say that the Corp can't do it (but this isn't a valid argument. Cards only do the things they say they do, and you don't have the right to look at R&D cards normally, only through the effect of cards)
B. The Corp doesn't gain any benefit from looking since it gets shuffled (but, it is clearly a benefit as he knows more about what the runner knows)

The situation is 100% clear... There should not be any ambiguity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Chance

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:

I think my friend is mostly doing it to troll me but his reasoning is that he's shuffling the deck anyway so he can look through it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like he may not even realize why knowing what the runner saw could be helpful, and thinks that you are being too uptight about a technicality that, in his mind, doesn't matter.
If you can point out why it matters, hopefully he will understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Morris
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
It sounds like he may not even realize why knowing what the runner saw could be helpful, and thinks that you are being too uptight about a technicality that, in his mind, doesn't matter.
If you can point out why it matters, hopefully he will understand.

And become a better player from it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have sworn I had previously seen an official ruling that the corp could look at the contents of R&D while shuffling R&D, but if no one has referenced it by now, maybe I made it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.