David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In view of articles such as this one: sohoplessly-broken-hacking-contest-aims-to-test-home-router-security, I would like to procure a router which is secure when used properly, within $150, preferably well within. I have a PC and a PS3. I might conceivably add something else that I would want to connect to the Net some day, but it's not very likely. This is strictly Ethernet, not wireless.

I also need an HDMI splitter which will get two inputs, the PC and the PS3, and will connect to my 1920x1080 monitor. A passive splitter will not satisfy the PS3's handshaking requirements.

Any recommendations are welcome! Thank you all you wonderful people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure where the monitor plugs in, but I've heard that these are good:

(Sorry! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For HDMI switch, I have always had luck with Fire Fold: http://www.firefold.com/hdmi-switches

It is the HDCP that is killing you. PS3 does HDCP on EVERYTHING, including games, and if any piece in the HDMI chain doesn't support HDCP, it all fails.

For the router, don't be too worried about that article. Honestly, unless you go with something business/enterprise class (double + of your $150 limit), you won't get much better than any other consumer router. Vigilance and effort go a long way. Don't use the setup wizard. Don't use the defaults. Change the based IP structure. Simple things that no one does.
(In fact, FireFold has probably your best bet for a sub $150 router: http://www.firefold.com/tp-link-load-balance-broadband-route...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
twixter wrote:
...I would like to procure a router which is secure when used properly, within $150, preferably well within. I have a PC and a PS3. I might conceivably add something else that I would want to connect to the Net some day, but it's not very likely. This is strictly Ethernet, not wireless.

You can get a wireless router for that. Linksys is good; the have a secure guest WiFi. I had a good experience with my local Best Buy: I came in knowing exactly what I wanted, but let the guy make a recommendation; he recommended a low end Linksys router, but I got the high end one I intended.

Some devices don't even offer a wired connection anymore, so you should seriously consider WiFi. My newest printer doesn't.

twixter wrote:
I also need an HDMI splitter which will get two inputs, the PC and the PS3, and will connect to my 1920x1080 monitor. A passive splitter will not satisfy the PS3's handshaking requirements.

Check your monitor first. For example, mine has VGA, DVI, and HDMI connectors. I have one computer hooked up to VGA and the other to HDMI. I can manually switch using the monitor menus, but if the monitor only sees one signal it switches automatically. It doesn't get more convenient or cheaper than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
twixter wrote:
I would like to procure a router which is secure when used properly, within $150, preferably well within. I have a PC and a PS3. I might conceivably add something else that I would want to connect to the Net some day, but it's not very likely. This is strictly Ethernet, not wireless.

Grab an old LinkSys router and replace the insecure firmware with Tomato.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.