Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Reynolds
United States
mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Our local X-wing group is relatively new but growing fast. One of our players came up with the idea of running an escalation league as our first competitive league. The format is swiss style 5 rounds at 4 point levels, 60 pts, 90 pts, 120 pts and 150 pts. You must carry the same ships and pilots from level to level but you may add upgrades.

My intent is to log my progress as it goes. I didnt set out to make competitive lists but rather to fly ships or pilots I dont normally fly.

my lists are as follows
60 pts
Jek Porkins with VI and R5-D8
Horton Salam with Ion Turret
90 pts
Jan Ors with Ion Cannon
120 pts
Biggs with Proton torpedos and Munitions Failsafe
150 pts
Outer Rim Smuggler with C3PO

After my first game I am quickly realizing I probably should have reversed that order but we will see what comes out.

My first match was last night and I faced Chucks list of Chewbacca with Title and Lt. Blount

He deployed first to his left flank so I deployed to my left with the hope of drawing the falcon through the asteroid field spread across the middle. The first turn was uneventful as we both headed up the flank. Second turn we both turned towards the field with jousting on our minds.

I decided right off to focus on the falcon and basically ignore the z-95. Chewie is a lot of meat to get through with two ships. I did get one Ion on him early but not enough to slow him down in the field.
It took be a bit to get the range right for salam so that I could use his ability. His ability is very useful but it might work better with something other than the ion cannon. As for Porkins this was the first time i flew him and I like his stress relieving ability and the droid really helped his survivability.

I learned quickly that Porkins alone cannot take out a falcon as evertime he has a range one shot so can chewie (damn that firing arc) I finally got the falcon Ioned with the hope of drifting it off the board but I left him just enough room for a hard turn. Meanwhile his z95 was trailing behind taking potshots and wearing down shields. I was able to finally swing around and take him out with the ywing but the same turn chewie wiped out my xwing.

The game went quickly after that as poor Horton couldn't put on damage fast enough to avoid the wrath of the wookie. I learned that I should have circled around and tried to keep the asteroid between me and chewie as well as keeping him in the field longer. Secondly I think I would have taken out Blount right off so that I could focus fire.

I hope to continue this through the league to try and improve my strategy and learn from my mistakes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Random question: Are you from the Austin area? Emerald Tavern in Austin just started an escalation league Monday with that same format, just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Reynolds
United States
mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nope. Im from the deep south, well deep southern Minnesota. On a related note after making so many 100pt lists I found it ridiculously difficult to make lists for these point values and still come up with what I wanted. You really start to realize how many ships cost more than 30 pts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Katogamerguy wrote:
Nope. Im from the deep south, well deep southern Minnesota. On a related note after making so many 100pt lists I found it ridiculously difficult to make lists for these point values and still come up with what I wanted. You really start to realize how many ships cost more than 30 pts

Well that's cool! I didn't know it was that common of a format to be honestly. Well, it seems like fun, hope you enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Reynolds
United States
mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TLDR: I win with a last minute miracle.

Well It was finally time for round 2 of our escalation league and I was quite relieved to be able to add another 30 pts of ships I don't normally use.

Added to the mix for this round was Jan Ors flying the mighty HWK with Ion turrets. Oddly enough up till now I had avoided flying both the HWK and the Ion turret. What can I say I march to my own beat etc.

This week I was up against Sam and his 90 pts of empire. He was flying Vessery in the defender, royal guard interceptor with (PTL) and the shuttle with title, rebel captive and mercenary copilot. He got imitative and after we spread the asteroids out in a narrow belt across the center he deployed his three ships evenly spaced across his side of the board defender left shuttle center and interceptor far right. Later he stated that he was hoping to use the shuttle for support the defender for joust and really hoping to catch an open flank with the Int.

I deployed my three in my right hand corner facing off with his defender. Y wing in front, Hwk behind and xwing parallel to the back to the left of the rest.

1st turn his fleet all moved straight forward and mine did the same with the exception of the soft 2 by the xwing to get him into formation. I realized fairly quickly that I should have had the xwing and ywing positions reversed. I wasn't terribly worried about the shuttle but I didn't want that interceptor in my back yard and I was terrified of that defender. The first shots of the battle where when Porkins took a hard turn around the asteroid to end up at range 1 with the Int. Veteran Instinct was a great choice on him. Using jans ability gave me a handful of dice and left a dead Int. But downside now Porkins was facing the wrong way and it would take me several turns to get him back into position.

The y and the hwk got the shuttle Ion'd for one turn which had the defender pinned behind it. That rebel captive hurts though and the limited Ywing dial didn't help. Horton went out in a fiery blaze of glory after ending up in the arc of both of his ships.
I ended up with the hwk behind the defender and was able to keep him out of play for several rounds with repeated ion shots. I am starting to really appreciate the Ion Turret. The one round it finally missed allowed him to do the ridiculous white 4k turn and Poor jan ended up with a defender at range 1, the shuttle was still cruising the other direction. Needless to say Jan went down.

The defender was wounded and my xwing was down to no shields. I was behind the defender and stressed, porkins was just waiting for the inevitable Kturn to finish him off and end this game. Sam takes the risk to Kturn into the asteroid field to give him a shot right in my face. The game gods were in my favor as the Asteroid dealt him a crit which turned into double damage destroying him. After that it was just a matter of mopping up.

Overall this was probably one of the most fun games I have had. Lots of dice swings and amazing piloting on both sides. The addition of the third ship was very nice.

After the league game Sam put together a list with 3 lamdas all with sensor jammer, HLC and another upgrade. That list is BRUTAL. People might laugh at the Lamda but three of them with concentrated fire is no joke. 30 hull/shields is hard to crack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.