Valley of the Kings» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Show me the money! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Riley

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
After several games where purchasing Age III cards was next to impossible, I tried a different strategy in a 3-player game with my parents (this was their first time playing the game, so it's not necessarily an accurate test).

My strategy was to purchase money cards right away. For instance, If I could purchase a card that gave 2 money, I would buy that no matter what. If it was a choice of using all of my cards to buy the 2 money card or having a starter left over, I would purchase the cheaper card and entomb my starter.

I didn't worry too much about what color the cards I was purchasing were. My primary goal was to be able to dump my starters and keep high money cards in my hand to use for age 3.

The next priority was cards that granted me free entombs or sacrifices of cards in my hand.

I ended up with the statue(?) that lets you entomb the lowest cost card from the pyramid and BOTH amulets that let you repeat actions. So, I got to the point where I was entombing 4 cards in 1 turn.

My previous strategies had been focusing on acquiring cards from 1-2 sets, but didn't really pay attention to my buying power. The money strategy seems to work much, much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike

Sounds good. My strategy is similar to yours.

Tom Cleaver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really pay attention to money value. I buy stuff that let's me draw more cards or entomb cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathal O'Siochru
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DevoDog wrote:
I ended up with the statue(?) that lets you entomb the lowest cost card from the pyramid and BOTH amulets that let you repeat actions. So, I got to the point where I was entombing 4 cards in 1 turn.

It's not a statue, it's the "Book of the Dead". It has a high cost (8) but even with that I wonder if it's a little overpowered.

We've just finished a game where I pulled off exactly the same strategy as described in the quote; BotD and two Tyet Amulets (this is the action repeating amulet seen here ). It proved unstoppable.

In the previous game the winner managed to get both BoTD cards and similarly won the game by a large margin entombing 3 cards a turn and hastening the end of the game while simultaneously extending his lead.

The reason I wonder if BotD is overpowered is that it combines the ability to buy a card (even the expensive phase III cards) while simultaneously entombing it all with a single card. Normally you would need multiple cards to even do one of those things, especially later in the game. The cost and the fact that is has to be the lowest cost card on the pyramid you buy/entomb are some down sides but they don't feel like they've balanced the card to me. I can't see a strategy where BotD wouldn't be useful and when it's duplicated it's hard to beat.

Now ok, I've been here before, sometimes when you're early on in learning a game you hit on the first (usually most obvious) killer strategy and it seems unstoppable until someone else figures another and then balance returns to the game. What are the other power cards or power combo's out there to balance out this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.