Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A top federal appeals court Tuesday said that billions of dollars worth of government subsidies that helped 4.7 million people buy insurance on HealthCare.gov are not legal under the Affordable Care Act.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101819065

Our dictator president may not care how the law was written, but I guess the courts have a different opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
It's the state run federal exchange subsidies that are at issue. And off to the en banc court we go. 2-1 decision, so who knows if it will stand under the full panel.

Fixed the stupid mistake above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's an easy solution to it. Congress can pass a simple amendment to the law that specifically includes the language. Not doing so would leave millions without healthcare, and what kind of a fuckwit does that because of an argument about syntax.

I mean, I suppose some Governors would LOVE to explain to the people in their state how they chose not to set up exchanges to provide them healthcare options. I mean, fuck the people of your state right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Shadrach wrote:
Well, there's an easy solution to it. Congress can pass a simple amendment to the law that specifically includes the language.

Yeah, it's just a statutory construction issue under the APA, not a constitutional issue (or rather, a determination of whether the federal agency actually has authority to make the subsidies under the statute). But it makes for good sound bites in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Well, there's an easy solution to it. Congress can pass a simple amendment to the law that specifically includes the language.

Yeah, it's just a statutory construction issue under the APA, not a constitutional issue. But it makes for good sound bites in the meantime.

Timely action by congress could save the taxpayers a good bit of money and calm the populace, strengthening the markets. Odds we'll see that? My bet's on the snowball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, so if a law does not explicitly allow something it is illegal if someone offers it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

Timely action by congress could save the taxpayers a good bit of money and calm the populace, strengthening the markets. Odds we'll see that? My bet's on the snowball.

It will be another great opportunity for the GOP to block something before it can be voted on so that Government gets nothing done, something the conservatives seem conveniently blind to. "The media makes it all up!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
slatersteven wrote:
Interesting, so if a law does not explicitly allow something it is illegal if someone offers it?

The federal agency (part of the executive branch) can't act beyond the power given to it by Congress by enacting the underlying statute. They can only pass regulations within the bounds given to them. It's pretty basic. I can't believe they fucked up the language this badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
A top federal appeals court Tuesday said that billions of dollars worth of government subsidies that helped 4.7 million people buy insurance on HealthCare.gov are not legal under the Affordable Care Act.

Our dictator president may not care how the law was written, but I guess the courts have a different opinion.

Do you honestly believe Obama resembles a dictator in any way?

dic·ta·tor
/ˈdikˌtātər/

noun

a ruler with total power over a country, typically one who has obtained power by force.

synonyms: autocrat, absolute ruler, despot, tyrant, oppressor, autarch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictator

And then you go on to explain how the courts have restricted his power. Do you see? How that doesn't make any sense? I mean... now I'm going to have to replace my irony meter again. *sigh*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:

Yes, when he said he would go around congress to implement the policies he wanted that a majority of American opposed.

but then again, I think Lincoln acted like a dictator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

Yes, when he said he would go around congress to implement the policies he wanted that a majority of American opposed.

1863!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Well, there's an easy solution to it. Congress can pass a simple amendment to the law that specifically includes the language. Not doing so would leave millions without healthcare, and what kind of a fuckwit does that because of an argument about syntax.

I mean, I suppose some Governors would LOVE to explain to the people in their state how they chose not to set up exchanges to provide them healthcare options. I mean, fuck the people of your state right?

Tell me again how many more people have health insurance now than a year ago? If you answer, make sure you dont leave out the millions that LOST health insurance....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
sikeospi wrote:

dic·ta·tor
/ˈdikˌtātər/

noun

a ruler with total power over a country, typically one who has obtained power by force.

And then you go on to explain how the courts have restricted his power. Do you see? How that doesn't make any sense? I mean... now I'm going to have to replace my irony meter again. *sigh*

Do you honestly believe Obama is not TRYING to act like a dictator?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

And what do you think will happen when he does something illegal that the Republicans can go after? He'll have them all executed? Put them in jail on trumped up charges? He'll disband the courts? Those are things that dictators actually do.

Even Lincoln, with his extraordinary power grabs and wartime power, did not do the things that a dictator does. He would have eventually been voted out of office and left voluntarily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Tell me again how many more people have health insurance now than a year ago? If you answer, make sure you dont leave out the millions that LOST health insurance....

You don't mean people who actually "lost" insurance do you? You mean people who had to change insurance, but in the end still have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
TheDashi wrote:

Can you be any more disingenuous?

Unfortunately, I don't have time to hunt for a youtube montage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
sikeospi wrote:

dic·ta·tor
/ˈdikˌtātər/

noun

Yes, of course. Because I can mentally fog a mirror. (That's a metaphor. Let me know if you need any help with it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Oh I forgot. Obama saying he will bypass congress didnt actually happen, since you liberal whackos wont admit it did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

In a pinch this one will always do:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

No he's a ruthless dictator who plays golf and does nothing all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
TheDashi wrote:
she2 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Oh I forgot. Obama saying he will bypass congress didnt actually happen, since you liberal whackos wont admit it did.

When Obama becomes King of America, I hope his first act is to mandate the use of apostrophes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
she2 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

What has he specifically done that has exceeded the authority of the Executive branch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
she2 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

When Obama becomes King of America, I hope his first act is to mandate the use of apostrophes.

Dashikins won't care because FREEDOM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.