Subject: "Playing Time...15 Minutes" - yeah, right. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt H
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On our lovely Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men page, it says Playing Time...15 Minutes. Does anyone else find this ridiculous? My games are averaging between 45 minutes and an hour. I even had one game where both of us were being super defensive (and watching the world cup) - and this game was like 2.5 hours! The shortest game I've witnessed was about 20-25 minutes, which only ended so soon because two new players were learning how to play and one accidentally OHKO'd the other player.

How long are your games lasting??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing 8-20-20 (characters-dice-life), 6-15-15, or 4-10-10?

Clearly that makes a difference. I think 15m is an underestimation, but probably on point for 4-10-10 and some (33-50%) 6-15-15 games.

I think the majority of 6-15-15 and 8-20-20 will fall in the 20-45 range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gingold
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our games are lasting 10-20 minutes each. We are playing 8-20-20 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikeg99 wrote:
Our games are lasting 10-20 minutes each.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
at first, it's not that fast...buy yeah, about 15 minutes, maybe 20 for most games now

that is, if you don't make any house rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play with 3-4 character cards and 2-3 dice per card. 15 life, 3-4 shared actions and no items (vibranium shield for example...still not enough dice). I can't imagine having 4 characters with 2-4 dice each and the game taking 20 minutes! Especially with 20 life wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthage wrote:
Mikeg99 wrote:

This.
Ditto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
Carthage wrote:
Mikeg99 wrote:

This.
Ditto.
Same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I'm genuinely shocked lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1havok12 wrote:
ironcates wrote:
Carthage wrote:
Mikeg99 wrote:

This.
Ditto.
Same.
Me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
1havok12 wrote:
ironcates wrote:
Carthage wrote:
Mikeg99 wrote:

This.
Ditto.
Same.
Me too.

And me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eviljelloman wrote:
My advice: build a direct damage focused deck, and the next time your friend plays super defensively, wipe the floor with him in a couple of rounds. The dynamic will change pretty quickly...

This is true, and why I'm done with this game. Without direct damage, it's long and boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
eviljelloman wrote:
My advice: build a direct damage focused deck, and the next time your friend plays super defensively, wipe the floor with him in a couple of rounds. The dynamic will change pretty quickly...

This is true, and why I'm done with this game. Without direct damage, it's long and boring.

This is absolutely false in my plays of the game. With cards like Cyclops "If Looks Could Kill", you don't need direct damage if you can clear the field every time this die comes out.

Also, since I have Tsarina, the game has a quick start.

Maybe try employing a global that can force your opponent to attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Satan Himself
United States
Dead Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
It depends. If we're playing fully competitive teams we average around 15 minutes, but some as short as 10. If we're playing casual or limited or even random teams 30-45 seems more realistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a lot of this is because I don't really have enough cards/dice to create synergistic teams. We'll often do a random draw of 2-3 characters, then each player picks another 1-2 to try to create some logical combination.

Can someone describe what one of these direct damage teams would look like or give a specific example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Lindstrom
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
The main cards are probably:

Black Widow: Tsarina
Human Torch: Johnny Storm
Green Goblin: Gobby

I think the first 2 are the best/most synergistic. I'd say those 2 are probably the "core" of the team and the rest tend to be cards that help to counter other stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition, adding in stuff like Silver Surfer which lets you accellerate your draws speeds up the game. Mine are also working at about 10-20 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A. Pollock
United States
springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
having played well over 200 matches of MDM(I have a full set of cards and promos).. i would say a 10 min game time is very rare. If all u want is a short game time you are really missing out on alot this game has to offer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Rus
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was on a tournament with bo3 and 45 mins limit. Granted there was one situation where game went to time and it was a very small tourney, but still, most ppl never even got close to the limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lindstad wrote:
The main cards are probably:

Black Widow: Tsarina
Human Torch: Johnny Storm
Green Goblin: Gobby

I think the first 2 are the best/most synergistic. I'd say those 2 are probably the "core" of the team and the rest tend to be cards that help to counter other stats.

First of all....lol at the first team mentioned having two super rares.....second, those abilities just don't seem fun to me. I think I agree 100% with this

Furrylockstar wrote:
having played well over 200 matches of MDM(I have a full set of cards and promos).. i would say a 10 min game time is very rare. If all u want is a short game time you are really missing out on alot this game has to offer

If you are trying to just kill your opponent asap through little unavoidable 1-2 damages, then that seems like a less fun game to me. It's more fun imo to set up elaborate decks and have big battles of 4-6 characters vs. 4-6 characters...

Depends on how you like to play I guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chewbacca390 wrote:
If you are trying to just kill your opponent asap through little unavoidable 1-2 damages, then that seems like a less fun game to me. It's more fun imo to set up elaborate decks and have big battles of 4-6 characters vs. 4-6 characters...

Depends on how you like to play I guess

You should check out the multiplayer rules, and experience I posted here in the variants forum:

Our Multi-player rules

We had consistent clashes of 4+ heroes every turn, and the game felt very epic, like a true comic book. It did take about an hour though, but all 4 players had a great time, and played immediately again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eviljelloman wrote:
You can field an effective direct damage team using any one of those characters. I have neither of the Super Rares, but can dish a lot of damage quickly using Johnny Storm.

Ah that makes sense. I'm not familiar with any of those characters' abilities tbh, my bad.

eviljelloman wrote:
So you started a thread complaining about the game taking too long to play, when you specifically dislike "killing your opponent asap"? Gee, I wonder why it's taking so long...

Where in this thread did I complain about the game taking long? I love it and I love the length. If it ended in 15 minutes, it would leave me wanting more every time. I made this thread because I thought my game length was the norm and I was super shocked the game time on the game page said 15 minutes. Turns out that is kinda the norm and my friends and I just like to play a little differently instead of ending it asap, idk.

It feels to me like everyone else plays to win and we play to have fun.

crambaza wrote:
We had consistent clashes of 4+ heroes every turn, and the game felt very epic, like a true comic book. It did take about an hour though, but all 4 players had a great time, and played immediately again.

Exactly this. It's awesome. I'll check out those rules for sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallen McInerney
Australia
Kingscliff
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience the first 5 or so games I played were conservative as I was weighing up losing attackers for a few points of damage. I would err on keeping attackers around for a big push. That big push never comes while playing defensively and games would take longer. After I stopped being so precious and taking the points as they were available the game started flowing more and reduced playing time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shawn ely
msg tools
The time involved in the game definately relies on what is being played, but also the skill level of the players. If you take forever to roll 4 dice and field or not field characters, that will impact the time the games take.

I visited a friend last night and we played 6 (we each won a 2 out of 3 set) games in probably an hour. Granted, both teams had super rare cards in them, we both are pretty knowledgable of the game, our dice/cards, and the globals that were on the table. Since our playstyles are similar, I already know will happen each turn. I put a Beast on the table, he has a mask,.. looks like my Beast will be attacking this turn. I drop a Storm, he already knows what happens next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
myztery wrote:
I already know will happen each turn.... he already knows what happens next.

Sounds like a TON of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.