Subject: I think the next kickstarter will be the last... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
... because they are running out of TBBT characters.

Seriously, after they drain this well what will they do? Could this actually hurt their sales because of the popularity of TBBT or is there something else they can steal a crew from and not get in legal trouble with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

With what's out there currently from 1st season, 2nd season and this one... you can darn near make a group of "Expendables".

Stallon, Statham, Norris & Willis

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Predator cast would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadsider wrote:
... because they are running out of TBBT characters.

Seriously, after they drain this well what will they do? Could this actually hurt their sales because of the popularity of TBBT or is there something else they can steal a crew from and not get in legal trouble with?

There's still "Shortie," a tiny buxom blonde girl with glasses and a high voice who can impersonate a large fat Jewish lady and stands toe-to-toe (or eyes-to-chest) with a guy any day.

And "Pasha," the Indian researcher bent on untangling the Byzantine world of American male-female relationships while advancing a bromance with . . .

"Crocker," the hobby-shop dealer whose back room harbors a remarkable array of Asian-manufactured Dangerous Toys not approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and capable of neutralizing most zombies with sharp corners, pointy projectiles, air blasts capable of upending an NFL lineman, and corrosive colorations . . .

And let's not forget "Mother," the homespun-wisdom-wielding Parent Who Truly Understands Her Special Child, capable of maneuvering any male into following her orders with a word, a cocked eyebrow, or a slice of Apocalypse Apple Pie waved under the defenseless male's nose . . .

No, they're in no danger yet of exhausting characters with a passing resemblance to certain popular-culture characters . . .

. . . and when they do, I nominate the entire adult cast of Everyone Loves Raymond for consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly i was impressed with this kickstarter i kinda groaned when i heard they were doing the same format as season 2 at first cause i was like i have 100 characters too many already.

But i ended up jumping on board when i saw the focus seemed to be mostly on new game enhancements this time around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't know about the BBT cast but they do not have the "I am legend" and "I am zombie" tiers for this Kickstarter. It might mean that the next kickstarter (if there is one) is further away but then again maybe the additional money they got from those pledges simply wasn't worth the money at the end... which might explain why they have a very simple pledge tier structure this time around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Will play almost everything. Unless i hate it ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
3 seasons and 2 add on's isn't that enough ? Most games just get one version and maybe 2 add ons .....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not convinced that the next one will be the last, CMON will flog it until they can and with this one currently sitting at over $1.5m. I'm not sure how much of a difference the BBT characters make either. Although Dave goes for a fair bit on eBay so do a lot of the S1 promos and the biggest jump in the first KS was after the announcement of the Penny Arcade CTS character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Ruta
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Yeah the type of theme they derive from isn't going to affect sales. Over-saturation on pure expansions, rule changes and characters WILL, however.

I feel they need to supplement what they have currently, just like they're doing with the Ultimate Survivors, doors and barricade packs. Better or upgrade character cards would be great, along with variants of minis that are out there now (say, after S3). Piling on more and more rules and characters is just going to muddle an already watered-down series of rulesets.

What I would love to see introduced into the series are human enemies, such as soldiers or crazed citizens, as opposed to a PvP system. The variety of infected are starting to grow tiresome to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolverine1977 wrote:
3 seasons and 2 add on's isn't that enough ? Most games just get one version and maybe 2 add ons .....

2 seasons and 1 add-on is more than enough for me. And some $400+ spent on the kickstarters. It's already my most expensive game. No need to make it cost a mortgage payment. It's just a board game - and an "OK" one at that.

But if I were GG/CMON, I'd put out a new season every year so long as it grosses $1M. Heck, if it grossed $100k it would be worth it! They're bringing in HUGE amounts of cash ... because they include promos that rip off celebrities and movie/TV characters?

(And Miramax is the only one that's done anything about it so far?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for Scooby Doo and the Gang. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it has been said that this is the last big game (only three seasons), but they will be making more expansions in the future (like TCM and AN) as well as game night kits.

This is why there is no I am Legend pledge level this season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
455_PWR wrote:
I thought it has been said that this is the last big game (only three seasons), but they will be making more expansions in the future (like TCM and AN) as well as game night kits.

All the I Am Legend backers have featured in the add-on boxes (TCM and Angry Neighbours) so this doesn't seem like a good reason not to have that pledge level this time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
455_PWR wrote:

I speculated that, but I've not seen anything official/semi-official.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
given that zombicide is a bit of a cash cow, I doubt they will stop bringing out new material for it, there are still lots of options that could be added to it.

it will be less regular given that they want to bring other games now but whether its as a KS or as simple expansions is difficult to say.
the previous backers might not get in on it, but new backers can get in as well with the stand-alone boxes.

if they wait too long however, the hype effect might get lost and will not be as successful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as they keep the KS exclusives in they will always have that OCD completest based revenue!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I sorta hope this is it for them. I think the Lost rules that just dropped are extremely... uninspired. I think the game's greatest potential lies in individual scenarios and perhaps map tiles. For me, new survivor minis are fun (and, along with the new maps, the reason I feel compelled to back a Kickstarter I'm not otherwise inspired about), but the new skills aren't adding much to the game, the new zombies and monsters are just busying things up, and overall it's becoming kind of cumbersome.

Not all games need to be continuously expanded, and this is probably one that's got enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Cooper
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
ditto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
puzzlemonkey wrote:

Not all games need to be continuously expanded, and this is probably one that's got enough.

Probably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Leite
Brazil
Campinas / Atibaia
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If people are willing to continue paying for just more of the same, why would it be? Season 3 has pulled in 7 figures just like the last. I stopped at Season 2 until they completely overhaul the game. I don't need another season of "same old same old", but the dollars Season 3 has generated disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jordan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"Iron Maiden's gonna get all of you!!!"
badge
"Iron Maiden's gonna get all of you!!!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game. I'm one of the people who will keep buying them as long as they keep making them! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Powerslave1724 wrote:
I love this game. I'm one of the people who will keep buying them as long as they keep making them! laugh

No you're not, and CMON know it devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I figured they backed off the I Am Legend pledge level because they don't need the money and they'd rather have the artistic freedom of designing all Survivors themselves.

tlee33 wrote:

Go check out Hasslefree Miniatures! I've been enjoying Scoob and the gang for nearly a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
TheTuninator wrote:
I figured they backed off the I Am Legend pledge level because they don't need the money and they'd rather have the artistic freedom of designing all Survivors themselves.

If that is true then the irony is that (I think) the I Am Legend minis are some of the best, Joshua and Raoul were two of my favourites last time while this time I love all four of the AN sculpts, meanwhile their artistic freedom seems to mostly focus around ripping off pop culture or unrealistically scantily clad females.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.