christian lecuyot
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

There are many clever and good rules in this game, but there is one rule that i really hate, it is the way the british units are moving.
To move, a die 6 is rolled and compared to the movement value of the unit to move. If the roll is higher, the unit can’t move, otherwise it is one point per space up to a maximum number of spaces equal to the value rolled. For exemple a unit with a movement value of 5, can move from 5 spaces to zero space, depending on a die roll !... So this unit can either cross a big part of the map or stay immobilized depending of the die ! Such rule makes no sense for me and prevents to plan a good strategy when you try to move your units. Moving your units is very important in the stratégy of this game and to make it so uncertain spoils the game in my opinion. I dont think there are many wargames with movement based on luck because it makes really no sense. I think in my next game i will move my units by the movement value - 1 to avoid this problem, what do you think of this ?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The thematic justification for this given in the rule book is that for the most part the British units are not trained military units, just villagers and homeguard. To allow the player to move them exactly as he wishes does not reflect the command and control problems the defence would have faced with a bunch of ad-hoc untrained defenders.

Planning for the vagaries of the movement system is just one of the challenges you face - so I'm happy with the movement system.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually really like the move rules. One game, 1 of the villagers (I cant remember her name), refused to leave a shop. I really wanted her to go the the church to look for weapons, which would free up whoever was already there. She would not leave. I was getting so frustrated with her I actually shouted at her 'leave the effing shop!'blush But no, she spent the entire game hiding behind the counter.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the previous two speakers. The movement system is excellent. The fact someone may not move at all or not very far is just one more of the many elements you have to take into account every turn. It also highlights how valuable someone with a '6' movement number is.

Todd
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian lecuyot
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it seems i dont have much support on this one. If you only like to watch a game like a film without having big influence on what can happens, then this rule is for you. I like to watch the story too, but if i can't plan a strategy because there is too many chances in the game, for me it is spoiling the fun. About the thematic justification, it makes no sense for me either, all those people are from the village and know it better than other people so they should move fast in the streets they know well. And once again, usually in wargames there is not such unrealistic rules about movement, there is always a fixed movement rate by unit. But i am the only one to think like this, then maybe i am wrong and i better not continue this way here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Cooper
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the game is solo only, vagaries like this add to the tension of your actions.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Perry
France
Lacour
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Christian

It's a solo game, if you 'house rule' movement no-one will ever know, however I wouldn't take away the possibility of a character being frozen with fear, frustrating yes but also fun.

If I was in the situation faced by the villagers would I have dashed across the village or hid under a table at the first sound of gunfire? I really have no idea, I am pretty sure my pantaloons would need changing though.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian lecuyot
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don, i own and played many solo wargames and none of them are using random movement points. There is already a lot of chance in this game to add tension, there is no need to add more with movement.

David, units frozen with fear are usually managed with specific rules about morale in wargames. You have usually to pass a morale check depending on stress of the situation and then you can be frozen, not only in movement but in combat too. That makes perfect sense. To be able to move from 0 to 6 spaces depending on a die roll doesnt for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bosch
msg tools
Petdoc wrote:
I actually really like the move rules. One game, 1 of the villagers (I cant remember her name), refused to leave a shop. I really wanted her to go the the church to look for weapons, which would free up whoever was already there. She would not leave. I was getting so frustrated with her I actually shouted at her 'leave the effing shop!'blush But no, she spent the entire game hiding behind the counter.


LOL! So thematic and what a memory it created for you!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Petdoc wrote:
I actually really like the move rules. One game, 1 of the villagers (I cant remember her name), refused to leave a shop. I really wanted her to go the the church to look for weapons, which would free up whoever was already there. She would not leave. I was getting so frustrated with her I actually shouted at her 'leave the effing shop!'blush But no, she spent the entire game hiding behind the counter.


Ah, that would be Edith. Dear old Edith has a gammy leg (and only moves on a roll of 1-3).

The additional mechanism of reducing movement values on wounded characters means that the walking wounded might not be able to get out at critical moments. I think that is both thematic and tension-building.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LoganTT wrote:
I like to watch the story too, but if i can't plan a strategy because there is too many chances in the game, for me it is spoiling the fun.

Why can't, and shouldn't, strategy be built around the imperfect control of your forces? How realistic is fixed movement anyway?

Asked for the sake of discussion and not to nitpick or aggravate.

My copy is en route now, should be delivered Friday!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brophy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if the movement rules were not connected with a die roll, you would still find it difficult to plan a good strategy because of the vagaries of the 3 cards you draw every turn. I like the movement rules as they are: yes, it adds more frustration to the game: but as has been pointed out, these are civilians, not trained soldiers. You need to plan your strategy around the units with high movement factors/and or better weapons.

Speaking of stategy, be careful where you have Sgt. Drake conduct Chaplin rolls. In my current game he, Arthur Pendrake and Daisy Woods were in the bank, with Drake and Daisy armed with Lee-Enfields. There were no Germans nearby, so Drake conducted a roll which had no effect. Because of the roll, no fire from the bank was allowed that turn, and lo and behold, in the German placement phase, 3 units turned up, moved onto the bridle path, and promptly wounded all 3 of the villagers! At least the Teachers managed to rout 8 units in a mad charge, so all is not lost, although James Arnold is now cut off in the cemetery.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian lecuyot
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
Why can't, and shouldn't, strategy be built around the imperfect control of your forces?

Besides the movement management, there is already a lot of chance in this game and you have already to deal with this imperfect control you talk about. But when there are too much chances in a game, it becomes really very chaotic and that ruins most of the times any strategy. This way of moving is giving too much chaos in my opinion and that ruins most of the strategies you could try to apply. How can You apply any strategy if you never know if your unit will be able to move 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 spaces in the map ??

Ryanmobile wrote:
How realistic is fixed movement anyway?
Quite more realistic than a random movement in my opinion anyway. The fixed movement makes sense as it represent the normal ability to move for a unit. I can understand that a unit can be frozen at times (the morale rules I was speaking about before), but it makes no sense that a unit moves 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 spaces depending only on a die roll. And once again there are good reasons if 99% of wargames have a fixed movement.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen - I can just imagine Drake tying them up and subjecting them to an prolonged interrogation, and Pendrake fuming, "Untie me you idiot! It's obvious I'm not bloody Chaplin and the Jerries are coming down the Bridle Path." "See now Pendrake, that's JUST the kind of thing that Chaplin would say."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Christian. There is no need to keep justifying your preferred way. Seriously. Just play it any way you want.

Todd
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Raining down board gaming fun since 1985!
badge
Go back in time and Kill Hitler!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But when there are too much chances in a game, it becomes really very chaotic and that ruins most of the times any strategy.


I have enjoyed reading this thread and have to applaud you Christian for sticking to your point against all the posts to the contrary. Your comment about the 'chaotic' nature of war is dead on. I once read that the Germans felt the Americans prevailed in WWII largely due to their ability to improvise through the chaos. I am going to agree with everyone else and say that I also enjoy the movement rules. Sure I would love for lead-footed Edith to move from the shop and pick up that Enfield in the church, but who knows what she'll do. The fact that you can't predict the chaos means you'll have to improvise when Edith won't move...have a plan B or C ready
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bosch
msg tools
Ravenbro wrote:
Quote:
But when there are too much chances in a game, it becomes really very chaotic and that ruins most of the times any strategy.


I have enjoyed reading this thread and have to applaud you Christian for sticking to your point against all the posts to the contrary. Your comment about the 'chaotic' nature of war is dead on. I once read that the Germans felt the Americans prevailed in WWII largely due to their ability to improvise through the chaos. I am going to agree with everyone else and say that I also enjoy the movement rules. Sure I would love for lead-footed Edith to move from the shop and pick up that Enfield in the church, but who knows what she'll do. The fact that you can't predict the chaos means you'll have to improvise when Edith won't move...have a plan B or C ready


Nice post. thumbsupthumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.