Subject: X wing or WH:I? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Kowbel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I recently recieved a gift card to a FLGS from a friends for a decent amount of money. I wasnt to get into a new game that i can go and buy new stuff for every month or so, bu not blind buy. I was looking at either Warhammer Invasion or Star wars X wing, and was looking for recommendations.

I see a plus to warhammer being I like the theme, though i am not very experienced in deckbuilding. I am also cocerned that the first cycle requires multiple purchases because of the distribution of "rares".

On the other hand, X wing seems very interesting too, but I find it hard to believe a single pre-painted mini with a few chits costs so much (although I have a heroscape background so maybe I'm spoilt).

Anyways, Any thoughts, suggestions, anything you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Happy gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
X-Wing is very affordable compared to other miniatures games. The release cycle isn't as fast as an LCG, so it won't give you the monthly purchase feeling as much.

I usually buy two core sets when trying a new LCG. That's usually your best bang for your buck. Two core sets don't cost much more than a lot of recent board games. You'll also want two core sets for X-Wing as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
X-Wing.

(And it's the licensing fees that cost so much).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
X-Wing.

(And it's the licensing fees that cost so much).

Even with the licensing fees it's very competitive with other miniatures games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
X-Wing is quite compatible with a wide range of different types of players, and you can easily play in two teams (when you have a couple of ships for each player). You can play the game both casually, or really get into squad-building and optimizing your ships/pilots and upgrades (but still fly casual!).

Start with a core set. You'll be ready to play in 15 minutes with the quickstart rules and can then add the full rules and decide whether to get into the game proper with another core set and whichever ships catches your fancy. Or the other way around, but you'll probably want to have the second core set rather sooner than later. Keep watching the discounts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xwing and WI are both different games.

Xwing is fantastic. If you have an active group in your area, you wont regret the choice. But it's a much more intense game than a CCG (or LCG). In addition to the "deck creation" aspect of your squad, you have an on table execution aspect in the planing of your moves each turn. Quite intense. Also, if your crazy competitive, you'll find yourself buying multiple ships to get an upgrade card. It can be costly.

WI is an equally fantastic game. Again, it all depends on the group in your area. The game is older, so there is more product out there. This can lead to a cheaper investment. I never played in a LCG in a competitive environment, but there is no "rare chasing" in a LCG. Each pack comes with 3 copies of each card, which *I think* is the maximum number of each card you can include in a deck. It might be less costly than Xwing if your hyper competitive.

Also, look at WH40k Conquest. It's an upcoming (due out in August) WH40k themed LCG. Might be the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
X-Wing is quite compatible with a wide range of different types of players, and you can easily play in two teams (when you have a couple of ships for each player). You can play the game both casually, or really get into squad-building and optimizing your ships/pilots and upgrades (but still fly casual!).

Start with a core set. You'll be ready to play in 15 minutes with the quickstart rules and can then add the full rules and decide whether to get into the game proper with another core set and whichever ships catches your fancy. Or the other way around, but you'll probably want to have the second core set rather sooner than later. Keep watching the discounts.

Totally agree with this and everyone else on the thread. X-Wing is a fantastic game that I would certainly choose over WH:I. I own both, and have played WH:I much more than X-Wing, but don't let that fool you. X-Wing is balanced, affordable, and a ton of fun. I would gladly bring X-Wing out over WH:I any day.

My issues with WH:I stem from experiences I've had making decks that were able to walk all over any others I've built. I understand that this is the nature of competitive deckbuilding, but it results in matches that aren't very fun. X-Wing, on the other hand, stays fresh for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
They've stopped developing new content for Warhammer: Invasion. Existing cards are still in print, but that'll probably end soon as well.

If you like the LCG format the Star Wars LCG is my favorite.

FFG's best sellers are X-Wing and Netrunner. If you're looking for tournaments, league nights etc. those are the easiest way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
stevepop wrote:
They've stopped developing new content for Warhammer: Invasion. Existing cards are still in print, but that'll probably end soon as well.

According to FFG, they're intending to keep WH:I in print. It's true that there's no new content*, but you don't need to worry about having to track down expensive OOP packs or anything.

Unless you're going to be playing ultra competitively, you'll get by just fine with only a single pack of the old style packs.

*technically they do make new cards for the game still. It's just that they're web only, so you have to print them and cut them out. They're completely tournament legal too. It's not like it's just some random fans home-brewed cards or anything like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested mainly in the Warhammer theme, it might be best to wait for FFG to release the new Warhammer LCG. That way you'll get to partake in the new meta and it won't be so overwhelming with the number of packs available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play both, but if I had to pick one it would be X-wing without hesitation. For one thing, it has a much bigger following in my experience, so if you ever have the desire, you're more likely to find people to play against in a local store and/or tournament. And it may seem expensive compared to board games, but compared to other minis games it's very reasonable for the quality.

That said, WH:I is also a good game. True, they're not churning out new expansions anymore, but there is plenty of content available out there to keep you busy with it for a while. It's my personal favorite of the LCG's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.