Subject: Screw Broadway: I'm going for Ganymede rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ike Evans
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
No thanks needed. I'm just your everyday galactic hero.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Preamble: Solarquest is a game that very much as a Monopoly feel to it, though thematically superior. It looks like the game is out of print, but my parents have a copy at their house, of which I really enjoyed a lot as a kid.

Value:

Because it is out of print, a copy is going to run you a lot of money. Unless you find something like this at a garage sale for just a few bucks, it probably isn't worth the money you will pay for it. Currently, it is listing on Amazon for over $135. Do not buy this game for that price. $20 should be the max you should buy this game for.

Aesthetics/Artwork:

The game definitely looks dated. But even then, it has a pretty good look to it for how old it is. It still manages to have a greater visual appeal than another recently produced space game that I'm thinking of - but won't mention by name because of how popular it is, thus incurring the wrath of many angry fans that I'd rather not fight with right now. whistle

Gameplay:

The gameplay is simple and straight forward, with mechanics that are obviously related to Monopoly. You buy moons and some planets, and charge rent to people who land there. The more moons you own in a particular system, the more you get to charge. Owning a majority of moons around, say, Jupiter, can be brutal to the opposing players.

Another interesting component is fuel. Players are only capable of moving if they have the fuel to do so. This is a fault in the game because invariably somebody forgets to move the fuel counter when they move. When I was young, we eventually got to the point where we just quit playing with fuel altogether - even if it is actually a pretty important component to the game - because we were terrible at keeping track of it.

Theme:

Outer space is always an easy way to get a good theme. So long as there is an aesthetic appeal to it all, the theme works. I would say that it works well enough that I really do feel a bit like a rocketeer flying through the solar system managing planetary real estate.

Oh, and Pluto is still a planet in this game. Score.

Verdict:

I played this game a ton when I was a kid. Later in life, in my late twenties, I was visiting my parents when my mom pulled Solarquest out to play for nostalgic purposes. I was surprised that I still found entertainment value in the game as an adult. I would say that I wouldn't ever try to play much more often than once every few years, but I'm glad my parents keep it around for the next time that we just might sit down and go at it again.

Dibs on Ganymede!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woah, is it actually moving at $135? I'd be willing to let my copy go for $134. :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved this game. It was fun on so many levels and it was educational as well! Nice to see a review pop up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Morris
Canada
Creston
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy was 50 cents(Canadian!) Score lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.