Subject: Make your own gaming themed clock on the cheap rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
Questioning Answers is as important as Answering Questions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, a while ago I made this on account of I've always wanted one:

And then I got thinking that it could be fun to create boardgame themed clocks along the same lines.

As you can see the central piece here is an IKEA RUSCH clock. It's basically two pieces of plastic, a cardboard disk and a clockwork, dirt cheap. I imagine you could also easily mod a fancier model but this if what I've used so far.

Further we have the graphics for the new face and hands on label paper, a piece of cardboard for the new components, cutting tools and some glue.

For the face I scanned some game components and arranged them into a 184mm diameter clock face. There's also a little latch at the bottom to help with the orientation.

The clear piece of plastic is being held in place by two small latches. They are supposed to be located to the top left and right of the works (or maybe it doesn't matter, dunno) but Chinese assembly line workers apparently don't really care so you may find one of the small ones at the bottom (middle picture).

Use something long and thin to push them inwards and down until the window sticks out the front and you can grab it (right pic).

Carefully disassemble the rest of the clock.

Stick the graphics to the cardboard and get to the chopping.

You may have to cut the hands to size. For this particular one I actually had to file the minute hand down quite a bit so it would fit behind the spear.

Make holes where needed. Punch, cut, drill, file... Whatever tickles your boat. Then assemble the hands.

Finally reinsert the face and hands. Attention: Make sure you put the hands in a valid position! 12:00 is the easiest.

The keen-eyed will notice that I printed everything too small even though I took extra special care to tick all the right boxes. *sigh*

Put the window back in place (if desired), pop in an AA battery and you're good to go!

And now let's see you come up with a design of your own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the one I made last year:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
The thing that puts your project over the edge is the mod to the hands. I've seen a bunch of "gaming clocks" but most just use the supplied hands.

Great job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whichever hand is on top on that Hippo clock should have a marble glued to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
Whichever hand is on top on that Hippo clock should have a marble glued to it.

Unfortunately, the mechanism is so tiny to fit the clock there, it just wasn't strong enough to move it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting! I have been contemplating a game themed clock, so what a coincidence! I envisioned something such as this:

My plan was to hang that on the wall and place various game-related things in the hour positions. Perhaps parts gleaned from thrift store finds or various extras from games I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Deignan
United States
West Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this up at the local *GASP* Hobby Lobby for $10. I enjoy it, fits with the theme of my game vault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Questioning Answers is as important as Answering Questions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
The thing that puts your project over the edge is the mod to the hands. I've seen a bunch of "gaming clocks" but most just use the supplied hands.

Great job.

Thanks!

Though I have to say I've been hard pressed to think of a title to go ahead with. Not a lot of games offer long, thin, iconic components. I guess you could also mash up the hands from a collection of smaller pieces or just stick a die or something to the tip.

Xookliba wrote:
Very interesting! I have been contemplating a game themed clock, so what a coincidence! I envisioned something such as this:

My plan was to hang that on the wall and place various game-related things in the hour positions. Perhaps parts gleaned from thrift store finds or various extras from games I own.

That sounds pretty cool. Add a spinner and you never have to think about what to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
This was the one I made last year:

Thanks for the inspiration to redecorate using spare parts I already had lying around! (My wife's reaction isn't quite so positive.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.