10 Posts

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Is it worth it to advance architecture technology? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave

Tallahassee
msg tools
We see experts routinely advance resources and then architecture but it doesn't apply to monuments and the second building T4. The game I hit 151, I didn't advance it. If the monuments for building a lot are there, it could be good but the effort to advance architecture could be used elsewhere. Since the buildings run out, I started putting a skull on the wheel. If the skull technology is advanced instead and you do 2 at least, you can pick a temple to advance 3 and probably win the bonus. If you win the 6 bonus instead of them, that is a net of 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like any strategy advice it depends. On a lot of things... which buildings are out, what starting tiles you have, what your opponents are doing... And that's just in the base game, if you're playing T&P you need to know what Tribe/prophecies are in play, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asd123321 wrote:
...The game I hit 151, I didn't advance it...
I don't have anything to add to your question but how in the world do you score that many points? I've played 11x and I've gotten in the 70's 3x.

meeple Keep playing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Like any strategy advice it depends.

Tzolkin is very fluid. There's A LOT to consider.

151 is a very high score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ambie
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Do you want to play a board gaaame?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like building a bunch of buildings, so I normally advance the architecture all the way when I do that. I also never use the T4 action for buildings, just for monuments. Instead, I have 2 guys on T3 and T2 and pay a corn to build 2 buildings. A lot of the buildings give you temple advancements so you generally go for those for points (or something else depending on what the monuments are, sometimes it's just all the blue/green buildings).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave

Tallahassee
msg tools
Here is the 151 point game

http://en.boardgamearena.com/#!table?table=9261706

First 8 turns, Y0 Y1 turn 3 should be done if you start U0 U1 U2 also
Place P0 T0 U2
Remove U3
Place Y0 Y1
Remove T3
Place T0
Remove P5 T1
Place U0 U1
Remove Y5 Y5 U2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing that score. Part of me wonders how you would've done, score wise (not placement wise), had one of your opponents not gone -18.

Either way, I haven't seen much past 100 in Tzolkin. So good for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United States
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asd123321 wrote:
We see experts routinely advance resources and then architecture but it doesn't apply to monuments and the second building T4. The game I hit 151, I didn't advance it. If the monuments for building a lot are there, it could be good but the effort to advance architecture could be used elsewhere. Since the buildings run out, I started putting a skull on the wheel. If the skull technology is advanced instead and you do 2 at least, you can pick a temple to advance 3 and probably win the bonus. If you win the 6 bonus instead of them, that is a net of 12.

Those were not strong players and one left before the game ended. Try that strategy against a 1900+ player and then tell me how it works out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Lane
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Architecture Technologies are worth it in conjunction with certain strategies.

It needs to be combined with either the Agriculture or the Resource Extraction technology tracks to be of use. It also helps to get starting tiles that advance you once on some combination of Architecture and either Agriculture or the Resource Extraction.

When used in conjunction with the other 2 technologies and focusing on a building strategy it can rack up a decent amount of points. The key is to buy the right buildings. You want buildings that provide you steps on the Temple track, victory points, the ability to buy additional buildings (bc it does work on those) or needed technology advancement. The temple track ones are key, as those are additional VPs for you and potentially denial VPs for your opponents. You need around 10 buildings bought after you have reached the 3rd step for full benefit for it to be worthwhile.

The second phase is setting yourself up for a last half push on the 3 VP step. You need enough wood and placement on the wheel so you can ping it about 7 times for 21 points.

Of course you still have to pursue additional VPs just like with any other strategy in Tzolk’in. You will not win the game solely by buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave

Tallahassee
msg tools
The very high scores typically occur with the opponents not doing much. Where the ones rated below Good go wrong is they don't move quickly to get
the fourth worker and move the resource or skull technology out all the way.
They often start getting buildings way too early. The Experts may not build anything until the second half. They just keep accumulating more corn and wood until they can put 4 or 5 down at once on Tikal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.