Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Link

Apparently there's a tournament for Netrunner on Saturday with some sort of prize support! Exciting! I really need to get myself a way in for the weekend - I only have a Friday ticket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woooo! So glad to see FFG finally support PAX. Now we need to get them to do this at every PAX. East, South, and AUS need love too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting change to tournament structure. I wonder whether it's testing ground for a more permanent thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
The truth is still out there...
badge
Ïa! Ïa! Cthulhu fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fthagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any ideas on prize support yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's hoping that the event there is better run than the one at PAX East this year. I had to inform the person in charge of many changes to the tournament rules he was trying to use, which included the Agenda points for the loser versus ten points for the winner method of scoring a match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ely
United States
pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume there iant a way to get in at this point is there? There is a good chance I wouod have been free that weekend. HAD I ONLY KNOWN.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guze
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
Interesting change to tournament structure. I wonder whether it's testing ground for a more permanent thing.

I'm pretty sure it's a purely time-related thing. It looks like a balance to accommodate as many people as possible while still finishing in one day. A normal 128-man tournament would definitely be a two day affair, but they're being fair to people who can't make both days.

Jelyman wrote:
I assume there iant a way to get in at this point is there? There is a good chance I wouod have been free that weekend. HAD I ONLY KNOWN.......

It's not impossible, but you're probably not going to get in at the regular price. Usually a few weeks before the convention you can find a bunch of people selling off passes on craigslist with not much markup (buyer beware, ask the right questions so you don't get scammed, but you can still get a decent deal) or you can swallow your pride and buy from a scalper at the convention (where you can at least verify if it's a legit badge). Yeah, it's more expensive, but it's actually not too bad when you factor in travel and hotels and all that, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hearing that the table top tournament area doesn't require a pass. There is also a X-Wing Tournament for 64 players on Friday. When I have confirmation I will post up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saracenus wrote:
I am hearing that the table top tournament area doesn't require a pass. There is also a X-Wing Tournament for 64 players on Friday. When I have confirmation I will post up.
That is almost definitely not true. It is in a separate hotel from the main area of the convention, and badge checking there may be lax compared to the Expo Hall, but you do need one. Unless there has been a change this year, the Enforcers will not let you sign up for a tournament without a badge.

The only exception would be if this area in the hotel is not officially part of PAX, but a space that has been privately rented out by FFG. It doesn't sound like that is the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apreche wrote:
Saracenus wrote:
That is almost definitely not true. It is in a separate hotel from the main area of the convention, and badge checking there may be lax compared to the Expo Hall, but you do need one. Unless there has been a change this year, the Enforcers will not let you sign up for a tournament without a badge.

The only exception would be if this area in the hotel is not officially part of PAX, but a space that has been privately rented out by FFG. It doesn't sound like that is the case.

Scott. The hotel is not part of the Convention Center where the primary halls of PAX are located. This is in a Hotel two block away.

Google Map of the Motif Seattle Hotel location near the Washington State Convention Center

I am being told by several members of the Seattle Area Netrunner group that the PAX Tabletop Tournaments HQ located in the Motif Seattle Hotel does not require badges (and didn't last year). I am trying to confirm this because I am not going to make a day trip from Portland, Oregon to this event unless I have a chance to get in the door. Registration is day of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saracenus wrote:
Apreche wrote:
Saracenus wrote:

Scott. The hotel is not part of the Convention Center where the primary halls of PAX are located. This is in a Hotel two block away.

Google Map of the Motif Seattle Hotel location near the Washington State Convention Center

I am being told by several members of the Seattle Area Netrunner group that the PAX Tabletop Tournaments HQ located in the Motif Seattle Hotel does not require badges (and didn't last year). I am trying to confirm this because I am not going to make a day trip from Portland, Oregon to this event unless I have a chance to get in the door. Registration is day of.
Last year the PAX Tabletop Tournament HQ was in a hotel a couple blocks from the convention center, though it wasn't the Motif (former Red Lion). It was in the Red Lion two years ago. I don't think anyone was checking badges in either year, but I do still think they are technically required. It's up to the [E]nforcers working that area whether they are going to check or allow people without badges to sign up for tournaments.

I would contact PAX via Twitter, email, or their forums to get an official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sent a request to @PAX_Tourney via twitter, I will report back as soon as I get a reply...

There was nothing in the PAX FAQ on whether the Table Top Tourney area required badges or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nguyen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I'd love to be able to play in the tourney, I lucked out and didn't get a chance to purchase a PAX badge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I just received a message from the gentleman tasked with running the PAX tournament and the official word from him is, "You do not need a PAX pass to enter the tabletop tournament area of the convention."

The PDX crew is planning a large caravan up.

See my post below for an explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saracenus wrote:
Ok, I just received a message from the gentleman tasked with running the PAX tournament and the official word from him is, "You do not need a PAX pass to enter the tabletop tournament area of the convention."

The PDX crew is planning a large caravan up.
Fascinating! And great that this tournament will have a much better turnout and competition as a result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle James
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am planning on playing in the tournament, I am curious what the prize support is?

Also is there any chance we can have a/some Overdrive drafts after/before/previous day with prizes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And now that the question has been asked I have received word from the Enforcers that the Table Top area is badge only (even if it is off site). So, please disregard my previous post for now. I have forwarded this info to the PAX Tourney TO and I will let him work it out (if there is anything to work out).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saracenus wrote:
And now that the question has been asked I have received word from the Enforcers that the Table Top area is badge only (even if it is off site). So, please disregard my previous post for now. I have forwarded this info to the PAX Tourney TO and I will let him work it out (if there is anything to work out).
As expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Lackey" Portney
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, Enforcer Lackey here, I'm in charge of Tabletop Tournaments overall for PAX Prime.

Scott is correct.

Sadly, all PAX events regardless whether they are in the main convention center, or at one of the satellite hotels, require a PAX badge to participate. This includes tournaments like Netrunner.

I'm in contact with FFG, the Netrunner Tourney Organizer, and all related parties. We are coordinating to ensure that the event will run as smoothly as possible, and use the most up-to-date rulings.

The event structure is indeed set up to maximize the number of players, while still having it take place on one day. PAX tickets are by and large sold as single day tickets, so there is no expectation that anyone with a Saturday badge would ALSO have a Sunday badge and be able to participate in Day 2. Thus, this new format, as proposed by FFG themselves, at my request.

We hope the format is a success though, as it means we'll be able to continue to offer similar events in the future, not only at PAX Prime, but at any of the PAX events throughout the year.

Please let me know if you have an questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric,

Thank you for your reply. I got your tweet last night and another enforcer who is a member of the Portland, OR Netrunner group was able to get me the same info a couple of hours before you responded.

All in all, I didn't want to have folks drive up only to be turned away.

Good luck with the format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.