Subject: Damned if you do.....damned if you don't . rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/07/20/3462064/californ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jonb wrote:

Twat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Restricting access to water and then fining them for a brown lawn is ridiculous unless they have access to landscaping options like zeroscaping.

And a small quote from the link would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So they are unable to use a watering can?

Whilst on the face of it this seems a bit arbitrary on reflection it seems like a ban on hosepipes means lazy fucks stop watering their lawns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
So they are unable to use a watering can?

Whilst on the face of it this seems a bit arbitrary on reflection it seems like a ban on hosepipes means lazy fucks stop watering their lawns.

To give you context- their lawn is probably about 30 to 40' by 60'. A watering can ain't going to cut it.

What I suggest is that they join a gym and shower there half the time. Then take the water they would have showered with and water the lawn with it. I sort of do this unintentionally now and frequently run sub 1,000 gallon water bills.

Another approach would be to capture their bath water- use an eco friendly soap- and then use that water to water with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In Glendora, City Manager Chris Jeffers said the city did encourage conservation, but that Korte's and Whitney's lawn was in such bad shape that it was reported as possibly abandoned.

"We were responding to a complaint that we received of a possible abandoned property," Jeffers said. "Crews visited and determined it was not abandoned, but not kept. The landscape was dead and there were large areas of just dirt."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up in rural Indiana and we certainly didn't water. The lawn got brown and crispy in August and then snapped back every September.

I've tried to apply that philosophy to our lawn here, but the major shareholder disagrees.

When I lived in Santa Barbara in the 90's, they had a watering ban, but there was one ten acre estate whose owner trucked in water so it stayed green. I really don't understand people that move to a desert, then try to grow grass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://photos.sgvtribune.com/2014/07/16/photos-glendora-face... looking at the other properties they do not seem to have the same water problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
I grew up in rural Indiana and we certainly didn't water. The lawn got brown and crispy in August and then snapped back every September.

I've tried to apply that philosophy to our lawn here, but the major shareholder disagrees.

When I lived in Santa Barbara in the 90's, they had a watering ban, but there was one ten acre estate whose owner trucked in water so it stayed green. I really don't understand people that move to a desert, then try to grow grass.

CC&R's also conflict at times with local regulations. But then I grew up in a desert and the one lawn we did have was a back lawn which really wasn't that hard to keep green, being smallish. Every other house had either plain dirt or one of those gravel landscapes, the kind where you have somebody dump gravel on your property and then you spread it out. Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't understand why lawn maintenance is required by law to the degree it is. Ability to access, sure. But beyond that, what right does a city or government have at all to tell anyone how they keep their lawn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
I just don't understand why lawn maintenance is required by law to the degree it is. Ability to access, sure. But beyond that, what right does a city or government have at all to tell anyone how they keep their lawn?

I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's done to protect the property values of the surrounding houses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Jythier wrote:

I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's done to protect the property values of the surrounding houses.

That's essentially the purpose of CC&R's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Given the fact that they had a compliant about the place looking unmaintained and empty it may perhaps be rather more then just a lawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Jythier wrote:

That's essentially the purpose of CC&R's.

If you live in an HOA. HOAs aren't all that common around here. Most of the small towns have city ordinances covering things like abandoned vehicles, poorly maintained yards, and the number of pets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having looked at the pictures that isn't 'we're having a bit of a drought and the grass is brown' grass. That is 'Systemically ignored yard maintenance for a couple years or only a single year under extremely high traffic conditions.' That shit is bald and gone, and it doesn't look like the other yards are in as bad a state of disrepair(the other ones look normal brown)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Land of the free huh?

So you can sit outside your house gently stroking your assault rifle but only if the lawn your telling someone to get off is a lush green. If it's been neglected you're going to need that rifle to fight off the swat team sent to arrest you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
Land of the free huh?

So you can sit outside your house gently stroking your assault rifle but only if the lawn your telling someone to get off is a lush green. If it's been neglected you're going to need that rifle to fight off the swat team sent to arrest you.

Your fucking little island makes America look like paradise. Wait! It is paradise in comparison. You can't even remodel your own home in the UK unless you can prove it wasn't the grave site of some Roman Captain, pre-Piltdown mummy or in any way shape or form not conforming to the qualifiers numerous and odious councils, committees and other approval groups.

I shit you not, here in America we can get a permit and remodel. And we get to sit on the porch of our remodeled home with a brown lawn, fondling our AR-15 and thanking our stars we don't live in one the marshy estates that blot your limited excise for a countryside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Jon_1066 wrote:
Land of the free huh?

Your fucking little island makes America look like paradise. Wait! It is paradise in comparison. You can't even remodel your own home in the UK unless you can prove it wasn't the grave site of some Roman Captain, pre-Piltdown mummy or in any way shape or form not conforming to the qualifiers numerous and odious councils, committees and other approval groups.

I shit you not, here in America we can get a permit and remodel. And we get to sit on the porch of our remodeled home with a brown lawn, fondling our AR-15 and thanking our stars we don't live in one the marshy estates that blot your limited excise for a countryside.
Thats the problem we out country, too much damn history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Thats the problem we out country, too much damn history.

It's not a case of too much history, more like a case of not enough country to fit the history into. Since RSP loves some graphics, this one explains it pretty well:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

Because one lives in a community with effects that affect everyone. While your neighbours struggle to pay their mortgages --

Generally, with a mortgage one eventually pays 3 to 4 times the principal cost of the property. At the end of it, people plan and hope on recouping the accrued value in order to support a retirement.

However, many people do not buy just the one home in their lives, and they transfer that accrued value into their next home. That equity is very much dependent on the value of the property at the time of sale.

--you, the one with special property maintenance ideas, reduce the value of all your neighbours' property. They have to pay for your ideas as well as yourself.

If you want to be just about it, then such a person ought to have to pay a premium to all his neighbours that would cover the negative effects of his odd idea. Isn't that the very nature of liberal democracy: do as you like so long as it doesn't affect other people.

A similar situation exists with close properties in newly developed areas. People purposely buy homes in these unbuilt-up areas because they like the close and predominant feel of nature. They have small wooded areas or even ponds on their property.

Then, comes along the guy who plants his stake in the middle of all that, decides he's going to level his ground and put in a 2 acre suburban grass lawn.

One has to wonder why the guy who doesn't want to take care of a lawn buys a home with one; or, why the guy who wants a giant lawn buys a property in the woods.

Thankfully, there is still plenty of room in North America, such that if you want to live solely by your own rules, with no consideration for anyone else, you can buy a large property 300 Km into the boonies. You have that option.

But, if you decide to live in a community, then to decide to paint your home neon green is just plain anti-social.

I sense that the real story here is that there is some neo-conservationist who can't see the bigger picture beyond the three logical propositions he can string together simultaneously. So, he concludes he's not going to water his lawn (Don't buy a home with a lawn, stupid!.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
We often have droughts / water restrictions in Australia, and there are a zillion ways to water your lawn. You can collect rainwater in a tank, you can capture grey water from your washing machine / bath / shower, you can plant your lawn with something engineered to be drought resistant, you can use water crystals in your soil, or you can do some combo of the above. It's just getting used to the idea that water is a resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Jon_1066 wrote:
Land of the free huh?

I laugh ruefully every time I hear "It's a free country." While we still have more freedoms than a lot of nations, our government is rapidly removing those things. You will actually hear politicians and even citizens (mostly Democrats) complaining that free speech is a bad idea.

So... full... of... shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Really? In brush-fire-capital-of-the-country-California, you think that's the ONLY reason dried-brush-lawns are problematic?

I can think of MAYBE one or two more reasons 'dried out brush lawns' might be discouraged...

DWTripp wrote:
...or one of those gravel landscapes, the kind where you have somebody dump gravel on your property and then you spread it out. Nice.

Having lived in the high desert for a while, myself, I don't generally understand why someone would choose a different option.

I mean...you are choosing to live in the desert. What the HELL are you doing trying to make it look nothing like a desert, with grass lawns and pools and all that crap? This isn't exactly a terraforming project on Mars where you need to find any way at all to get 'green' to grow, to help create a breathable atmosphere or something.

If you really hate the 'desert look' so much, and need your green and water...guess what...it's a big damn country, we've got hundreds of thousands of miles of coastline between our lakes, oceans, and rivers. MOVE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, we're free to elect politicians that pass laws to restrict our freedom.

DWTripp wrote:

Heh. They really would be "the smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
DWTripp wrote:
Jon_1066 wrote:
Land of the free huh?

Except when your permit is revoked.

Idiot American "Boo hoo their house is ugly pull it down please"

Local government cretin "Certainly madam - you pull that house down or else it's SWAT time!"

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1202472/neighborly-kindness

Yet all we hear is how "m'eric is the most free country on earth"
"Yeah we can do all these things you old world tools only dream of."
"Just going to the range in my tank to blast off a few rounds. Oh wait sorry I can't go tonight my Government is forcing me to mow the lawn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.