Popular Tags: [View All]
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent game I was able to attach Firefoot and Dunedain Cache to Eomer so that once a character left play, he could attack at +7 anywhere on the board by himself, then assign excess damage to an enemy engaged with him. It makes him much more versatile, especially as it can be a little difficult to get two enemies engaged with you in multiplayer.

Just a quick question: while I know this is an acceptable use of Eomer and Firefoot via the rules as written, do you think this is a bit too powerful?Thematically, at least, it seems pretty strange. If you're attacking with a bow, you're not exactly "trampling." I'm trying to figure out if it's OP, and thus worth a look in the next FAQ, perhaps through a ruling that you must attack two enemies engaged with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it is powerful, especially for the earlier quests.
But enemies are getting tougher all the time. lets use Morgul Vale for an example. If the sorcerer is engaged with me (1 def, 3 hitpts) , and a body guard is with you (2 def, 6 hitpts). Using the combo you described it takes a 4 attack to kill the sorcerer (one of the weaker enemies of this quest), leaving 3 damage assigned to the body guard...who still has 3 more hit points, plus his 2 defense. so to then kill him you need another character to swing for 5 attack. I think the way this game is progressing you will need attackers to swing for 6+ to be competitive.

And theme-wise...I guess if you look at the art for Horseback Archer and picture an enemy being trampled as he is shooting a guy off to the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of sick of these threads, for both Firefoot and Blue Mountain Trader. Sorry, John. I don't mean to directly take out my frustration on you.

But Firefoot is not broken. To pull off what you did you need to:

-Find Firefoot
-Find Dunedain Cache
-Pay for those attachments instead of allies that could help attack anyways
-Have a character leave play that turn
-Have an enemy engaged with you that is big enough that you couldn't have just killed it anyways
-Have another enemy somewhere for Eomer to attack that is weak enough to leave overflow damage
-Block at least the 1 enemy engaged with you
-Still have questing potential in your other heroes or cards you play so that you don't lose the game

I mean, yes, Firefoot is sweet. But he is also kind of situational and is only affecting one aspect of the game. He also needs help from other cards to be REALLY great, all of which you have to find in your deck.

I relate Eomer/Firefoot to Beregond. Beregond is GREAT at blocking, the best in the game, but that's all he is really good for. Same with Eomer/Firefoot only with fighting, and you still need to find the horse first.

The cards that need FAQ'ed/errata'ed are stuff like Zigil Miner or Master of Lore; cards that made infinite loops or created almost impossible to lose scenarios. Firefoot is not anywhere near that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
Thematically it's totally sweet. He is shooting a enemy in the staging area while simultaneously trampling an enemy he is engaged with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
Kind of sick of these threads, for both Firefoot and Blue Mountain Trader. Sorry, John. I don't mean to directly take out my frustration on you.

Sorry, Matthew. But don't worry; another pack will be out by the end of the week then the community will launch new threads to raise your blood pressure! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatGuy wrote:
Mattr0polis wrote:

Sorry, Matthew. But don't worry; another pack will be out by the end of the week then the community will launch new threads to raise your blood pressure! :devil:

Heh, definitely can't wait for another new pack. Sorry again, John. I'm always glad to just see people playing, enjoying, and discussing this game, as it's a fun one. These particular threads have just been getting repetitive between my visits here and the FFG forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
BeatGuy wrote:
Mattr0polis wrote:

Sorry, Matthew. But don't worry; another pack will be out by the end of the week then the community will launch new threads to raise your blood pressure! devil

Heh, definitely can't wait for another new pack. Sorry again, John. I'm always glad to just see people playing, enjoying, and discussing this game, as it's a fun one. These particular threads have just been getting repetitive between my visits here and the FFG forums.

wait...i thought the FFG Forum folks wanted more power cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.