Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought i'd try to explore TH fans' favorite 2-map configurations are and how you link them together. (3 maps just take up too much real estate on my table!)

I especially like using 2 maps at once as:
- it allows for larger squads
- it can provide adequate space for all 4 factions (whether teams or FFA)
- it's more epic!

Official rules (Op. Hinansho) gives an example of Okinawa Crash Site + Castle Ksiaz. Thematically, it's ok (a jungle with a crashed plane right outside a castle with european architecture kinda bothers me), but it's not like we have too many options. Mechanically, i think it works well if you set up the scenario properly. The only issue that i have here is that there is only one way to get from map to map, creating a choke point which is easily defended. I think it's a good idea to have at least 1 other way to get from map to map. Too many and it becomes as if they are really one large map. So i like 2-3 additional entry points than just 1. Thoughts?

anyway, here's some examples i like to use:

Castle Ksiaz + Catacombs
the classic "Operation Tannhauser" here, the maps function more like 2 levels, the upper Castle, and the Catacombs below. With this in mind, I like to link them by the stone stairs in the Castle's corner linking to the Catacomb's cave-like entrance and the hole in the ground near the Sneak secondary objective in the Castle linking to the other printed entryway in the catacombs (the one that has stair rungs). Additional links between the 2 maps are made by placing secret door tokens on the Castle's Action circles, which lead to the secondary entry points indicated in the Op. Daedalus rulebook. OR, for a more thematic element, the Reich player during setup secretly chooses among the Primary Objective circles the 2 secret door locations in the Castle map. The remaining 2 get a Rubble token as a decoy. Crate tokens are then placed on top all of them to hide the token below and/or opponent's Objective tokens - Crates must be searched and/or Objectives completed to find and use the entrances. An example of a scenario would be that the Reich is trying to complete their objectives in the Catacombs and the opponent is trying to stop them. Both sides start in the Castle (Reich coming from upstairs via wooden staircase) and with enough characters that allow the Reich to try to guard entrances to the catacombs below as the enemy tries to stop the Reich.

Castle Ksiaz + Outpost of Gevaudan
A "prelude" to Operation Tannhauser, here the 2 maps function like one large map on the ground level - the Gevaudan map being the guarded entrance to the Castle. The obvious link would be the printed entrance on the Gevaudan map near the cabin linking to the printed front door entrance of the Castle. To provide additional ways in, secret doors could be located at Action circles, or under the objective in the cabin and the Weaponry objective on Gevaudan. These secret tunnels lead to secret entrances in the Castle located at Mechanics objectives or action circles. A scenario could be that the invading force is trying to infiltrate the castle and steal documents or gold at unknown objective locations in the castle, while the defenders are trying to prevent that. Completing secondary objectives on one map could affect conditions on the other - for example, activating a Mechanics objective in the Castle could activate emergency breach lights in Gevaudan, making enemies in Gevaudan forced to try to avoid 2-3 automatic successes each activation (coming from snipers on the roof of the castle). The enemy could then infiltrate the castle, decativate that mechanics objective to cancel that effect. Or the enemy could complete the mechanics objective in Gevaudan, blowing up the generator, killing power to the castle's lights, plunging it into darkness (making all Castle paths function as if they were filled with smoke). The Beast mechanism could even be used as a defensive measure by the defender.

Labyrinth + Catacombs
Similar to Castle + Catacombs and more symmetrical - neither side knows the exact locations of secret doors (2) that lead to the Catacombs below, although it is suspected that they are found at 2 of the 4 primary objectives. So not only do the squads have to navigate the maze, but Asteros is present (with ALL of his equipment!) to deal some hurt! (he activates after each player has activated his last character, as if Asteros was one of his characters - meaning Asteros activates 2 or 4 times each round). The squads must get to the Catacombs below to be the first to uncover the secret that a previous Reich expedition uncovered (complete 2 secondary and then 1 primary to gain exclusive control of Asteros for the remainder of the game).

Tesla Priory + Research Facility
Here, 2 factions with maximum characters race to complete their objectives. The Shogunate have taken over a Matriarchy power station and built a secret research facility below it. But their plans have been discovered - they must hurry to complete their experiment before it's too late and the Union destroy everything. The Shogunate is its 3 heroes + Wolf + 4 Troopers and the Union is 3 Union heroes + Gorgei + 4 Troopers. Trooper reinforcements are free, as long as any of the initial 4 have died. One team enters on Tesla Priory at either printed entry point with the wooden bridges nearby (the sides closer to the priory). The maps touch at the other side of the Tesla Priory with the 3 adjacent action circles to the Research Facility side with the glow sticks and overturned barrel entry points. The other team enters the map at the other 2 entry points on the Research facility. Union enters on Tesla Priory and SHogunate on Research station for less conflict match or reversed for more conflict. The goal is for the Union to complete the Mechanics, Reasoning, Engineering, and Sangfroid objectives on the Tesla Priory map to win. The Shogunate must complete the Reasoning, Command (secondary), Sangfroid, and Engineering objectives on the Research Facility map to win. But the situation is not so simple - there are traitorous double agents among our ranks! Before the game after selecting packs, each team gives 1 unused token from each of his 4 heroes to the other player. players then secretly choose one of the opposing heroes to be a secret agent and keep it secret (put it in a dice bag or something). At any point during the game, a player may activate the chosen secret agent and immediately take control of the hero for the rest of the game!

Anyone else have any ideas???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
___Shetland pony___ ___extra pepperoni___
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up Mr Killer, thanks.
I cant add anything as I have had no 2 map experience.
But I am very pleased to see the Tannhauser forum spark back into life, however briefly. To say the game doesn't get the love it deserves, is a major understatement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These are great ideas that I'd love to try. Sadly for me, I can barely fit the game on my table with only ONE board!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.