Subject: Slingshot: Does Diagonal = forward? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Slingshot card allows one diagonal movement at any time, and is a Lead Movement card. Say the car chooses with his first movement to go diagonally. Do the cars immediately behind follow him, or is it the cars he picks up after changing lane?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fitzgerald
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I think the rules for Lead Movement make it clear you never pick up as you go. You take everyone behind you with you for every move. If no one is behind you it is like a solo move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikefitz wrote:
I think the rules for Lead Movement make it clear you never pick up as you go. You take everyone behind you with you for every move. If no one is behind you it is like a solo move.

Yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah, thanks Mike. I didn't see that. I guess I've been playing Lead Movement incorrectly. I have, on occasion, moved sideways and picked up a line of cars before going forwards. Thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
ah, thanks Mike. I didn't see that. I guess I've been playing Lead Movement incorrectly. I have, on occasion, moved sideways and picked up a line of cars before going forwards. Thanks for the reply!

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Lead movement links immediately when played. Whoever's behind at the start of the move follows like a snake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brennan
United States
Groveland
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I agree with Mike's answer.

Here's a related question that came up in a game with my son (we're LOVING this game):

If the car attempting the diagonal move (car 1) is in one lane of a two-lane stretch, and has both a car alongside it (car 2) and a car in front of it (car 3), can car 1 "slice" diagonally through cars 2 & 3, or must there be a free sector in front of car 1?

Here's a visual, with car 1 being the car attempting the diagonal move:

Does this work:

|car 1|car 3|
|car 2|open |

Or do you need this:

|car 1|open |car 3|
|car 2|open |

We concluded, based on a close reading of the rules, that the first scenario is legal, but I didn't like it. We're using Racing Champion 1:144 cars, and I didn't like the way the cars were "squeezing" their way through cars 2 & 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Brennan wrote:
I agree with Mike's answer.

Here's a related question that came up in a game with my son (we're LOVING this game):

If the car attempting the diagonal move (car 1) is in one lane of a two-lane stretch, and has both a car alongside it (car 2) and a car in front of it (car 3), can car 1 "slice" diagonally through cars 2 & 3, or must there be a free sector in front of car 1?

Here's a visual, with car 1 being the car attempting the diagonal move:

Does this work:

|car 1|car 3|
|car 2|open |

Or do you need this:

|car 1|open |car 3|
|car 2|open |

We concluded, based on a close reading of the rules, that the first scenario is legal, but I didn't like it. We're using Racing Champion 1:144 cars, and I didn't like the way the cars were "squeezing" their way through cars 2 & 3.

Yes, you can. You can house rule it though. I like the way you can squeeze your way in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
[Even] in their poverty, they referred to their garden of necessity as if it were a hobby.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Personally I have no problem with 'slicing' from a thematic perspective. It's a snapshot in time that happens in the blink of an eye. Kind of like "working the pack". All of a sudden it's like whoa! How'd he get up there?‽ Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brennan
United States
Groveland
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
h00sha wrote:
Interesting. Personally I have no problem with 'slicing' from a thematic perspective. It's a snapshot in time that happens in the blink of an eye. Kind of like "working the pack". All of a sudden it's like whoa! How'd he get up there?‽ Great game!

Oh, I agree. It's just that the move really hurt my team at the time ...

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Brennan wrote:
h00sha wrote:

Oh, I agree. It's just that the move really hurt my team at the time ...

Kevin

Ah, that I can understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.