Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Podcasts & Blogs

Subject: Top Ten Fantasy Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


You can also see it here:

http://youtu.be/ikO55NbXlrA
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice video...it was fun to watch...

I play a decent amount of fantasy games and made up my own top 10 before watching...interestingly enough, only 2 of my top 10 were mentioned during the show (Defenders and Shadows)...

Unless I missed it, here are a few games I was surprised that were not on any of the three's list:

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)
Magic Realm
Lords of Waterdeep
Return of the Heroes (I thought, back in the early days, that Tom mentioned liking this one, but I could be wrong)

And I come in on Sam's side and say that Shadows Over Camelot is fantasy...plenty of magic with Merlin and Morgan le Fay, plenty of magical creatures such as griffins, the Questing Beast, and unicorns...plenty of fantasy books written based on Arthurian legend, i.e., The Once and Future King, Mists of Avalon, etc...definitely fantasy. I have high hopes that a game I recently Kickstarted (Albion's Legacy) will top my fantasy list, once it's released, and it's based on that legend as well...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Stål
Sweden
Örebro
ÖREBRO
flag msg tools
For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.
badge
What is best in life?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sad to see that Runewars is not mentioned. This is like having a top 10 sci-fi games without Twilight Imperium (Third Edition). You guys need to play more games ;)
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNamara
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
The doo-dah man
badge
Where's the men's gaming forum?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great list as usual, guys. Wish I was at Dice Tower Con to watch it live, but couldn't make it this year. As I usually do, I made my own personal Top 10 mirroring the subject:

10. Runebound 2nd Ed.
9. Mage Knight: TBG
8. Middle Earth Quest
7. Lord of the Rings (Knizia Co-op)
6. Lost Legends
5. Legends of Andor
4. Tomb
3. Lords of Waterdeep
2. Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
1. Descent: Journeys in the Dark
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigmac33070 wrote:
9. Mage Knight: TBG


Yeah, I think that's another one none of 'em had listed...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNamara
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
The doo-dah man
badge
Where's the men's gaming forum?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
bigmac33070 wrote:
9. Mage Knight: TBG


Yeah, I think that's another one none of 'em had listed...


I remember the Miami Dice episode for Mage Knight and although Tom and Sam both liked the game, it didn't seem like there was a lot of love for it. As for Zee, since the playtime is over 45 minutes, I'm sure he wouldn't like it as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hayes
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was there, and I still laughed while watching it...

I love the way these three guys interact with each other
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well.. another obvious omission next to MageKnight would be Myth, given the high ratings it received from Tom and Sam in Miami Dice (9).

Runewars is more of an ommission due to ignorance I think, as I recall Tom (and I suppose that'll include Sam) haven't played it and is on their list to play this year. I must say, myself, while I own Runewars I do think TI:3 is lightyears ahead of Runewars (although the combat system is very cool).

I half suspected Sam to put Fairytale on the list though..
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigmac33070 wrote:
As for Zee, since the playtime is over 45 minutes, I'm sure he wouldn't like it as well.

Yeah, that guy didn't seem well versed in fantasy games as some of his choices were rather odd...

Ruud2009 wrote:
I half suspected Sam to put Fairytale on the list though

I would've been OK with that, as it's actually one of my favorite fillers...really love that game...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigmac33070 wrote:
otha62 wrote:
bigmac33070 wrote:
9. Mage Knight: TBG


Yeah, I think that's another one none of 'em had listed...


I remember the Miami Dice episode for Mage Knight and although Tom and Sam both liked the game, it didn't seem like there was a lot of love for it. As for Zee, since the playtime is over 45 minutes, I'm sure he wouldn't like it as well.


I seem to remember Tom and Sam both giving Mage Knight TBG "ten thumbs," concluding with Tom's line: "Does that make it a ten? Not quite, but it's close." They have hardly mentioned the game again.

I suspect MK's length and complexity, its Euro mechanics, plus the significant replay requirement in order to play the game well, has something to do with the game's fall from favor.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNamara
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
The doo-dah man
badge
Where's the men's gaming forum?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruud2009 wrote:
Well.. another obvious omission next to MageKnight would be Myth, given the high ratings it received from Tom and Sam in Miami Dice (9).

Runewars is more of an ommission due to ignorance I think, as I recall Tom (and I suppose that'll include Sam) haven't played it and is on their list to play this year. I must say, myself, while I own Runewars I do think TI:3 is lightyears ahead of Runewars (although the combat system is very cool).

I half suspected Sam to put Fairytale on the list though..


I have to get Runewars at some point, it looks right up my alley. Agreed on Fairy Tale, I thought all 3 of the guys were big fans of that one. And with new edition, I would have thought it would appear on at least 1 list.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigmac33070 wrote:
I have to get Runewars at some point, it looks right up my alley.


Don't get me wrong, it's a very fun game. But it's quite heavy for what it is and given the playtime (4 hours) I think I'd rather play TI:3, than Runewars. Runewars supposedly is very good with 2-3 however, something TI:3 is not..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.