Subject: Gift Recommendation for TableTop viewers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damn Dirty Ape!
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm looking for a game that I can give as a gift to my brother and sister-in-law. It should play well with two, and hopefully just as well (or better) with up to four or five.

While there are some differences between the two of them, together, they seem to like Lords of Waterdeep, Pandemic, and Puerto Rico.

They did not care for Race for the Galaxy (iconography issues) or Love Letter (memory/deduction).

At some point in the future they will likely purchase Betrayal at House on the Hill. They are attracted to the story driven aspects.

Mostly, they really seem to be getting games they see on TableTop. But ideally, I would like to get something off of that radar.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Dice does well with 2-4 players and has lots of dice, if that holds any appeal to them.

My wife really enjoys playing Ascension: Realms Unraveled after we put the kid to bed. Base box supports 4 players and if you get an expansion it goes up to 6 I believe. There is also Ascension: Apprentice Edition for a 2 player lighter playing entry point to see if they enjoy deck building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yedo. Plays 2-5, lots of theme, small stories in the missions (like a little deeper Lords of Waterdeep).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Manhattan Project is my favorite traditional WP game, and it scales for player count (2-5).

My overall favorite game is Alien Frontiers, check out my review to get a better idea if your brother and sister-in-law will like it.

Good luck, please let us know what you decide on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gf and I are big fans of:

Splendor - it's simple at first and then BAM! there's strategy.

The Castles of Burgundy - a great worker placement game. Not difficult but meatier than Lords of Waterdeep.

After these, I would suggest a deck builder. Dominion is good but not too fun with 4 or 5. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game is pretty awesome too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damn Dirty Ape!
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks all for the responses.

I'm primarily looking at Yedo.

However, I'm also reconsidering the criteria and may re-post. Hopefully, that's not in bad form. I've got a week until I need to order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could get them Gloom (which was featured on TT) or you could get them Rory's Story Cubes. Both are story tellers and can be played with 2-5 (For gloom you need a major expansion for the 5th - Unfortunate Expeditions, Unhappy Homes, Unwelcome Guests; RSC plays 1-12).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Tales of the Arabian Nights? It's a great couples game because all you do is go on adventures and read encounters to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they like Pandemic, maybe they would like Flash Point: Fire Rescue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C Dylan wrote:
They are attracted to the story driven aspects.

Mice and Mystics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Congrats on the great gift idea, I'm sure they will love whatever you get them. Seriously, who wouldn't love getting a boardgame?

Here are a few ideas of games that weren't featured on the show:

Dice Town - Everyone seems to love this simple dice chucking game. It has great components, easy to explain rules and high fun factor. There are always lots of laughs and smiles at a game of Dice Town.

Tokaido - I don't think this has been featured on Tabletop...but I wouldn't be surprised to see it on Season 3. This game is BEAUTIFUL. It's easy to explain and scales well with any amount of players. This will score big points if they have any interest in Japanese culture.

Last Will - This game always gets people laughing. Instead of trying to earn the most money, everyone is trying to go bankrupt the fastest. This is a clever little worker placement game mixed with some other mechanics. I've never really played anything quite like it. Very fun game, plays great with any number and worth checking out.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered Archipelago? The rule book is a bit full-on but the game has quite a lot of flexibility with number of players and game length as it scales well between 2-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damn Dirty Ape!
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
If anybody is interested, I'm probably going with Letters from Whitechapel.
I know...I never gave any indications that would lead to somebody suggesting it.

-However-

I've come to realize that buying a game for my brother and sister-in-law is the same as buying a game for only my sister-in-law. My brother likes everything.

The motivating factors for Letters from Whitechapel are 1) she has a background in criminal psychology, and 2) while not necessarily driven by a narrative, it seems to have similar tensions.

Mice and Mystics and Tales of the Arabian Nights would probably have worked too...I think.

Yedo and Splendor are probably more my speed.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm going to suggest something in a nice walnut, European of course, or English cherry or lacewood. Padauk would be a fine choice but you have to keep it out of the UV so it doesn't change colour. You can seldom go wrong with a good English oak either. Rosewood would be a rare treat nowadays as it's seldom exported from some countries. Cocobolo is very attractive but unlike all other timbers it is often sold by weight making it terribly expensive. Sinks in water too, don't you know.

Some will say plain is essential, call themselves "purists" but "puritan" is more like it. I say a little marquetry can go a long way, nothing too ostentatious mind you. Maybe some bubinga, yew, black walnut, Indian laurel. Really depends upon the base wood that you're using.

Now, there are those people who will suggest glass or metal or plastic laminate, others will say cover it with felt or some sort of synthetic rubberised mat. Bah! Amateurs and ne'er-do-wells. The modernist movement is sure to be dated quickly and even now it's totally boring. The glass ones you can even see through! A sure fire to lose interest in the hobby. Before long you'll be putting things on it, eating off it, reading at it, anything but why you bought it.

Be sure to keep it oiled or polished and your natural, wooden tabletop will give you a lifetime of viewing pleasure, an heirloom you can pass down the family for generations to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.