Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
All that I need is this moment
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi geeks!

I will start by saying that I do not consider myself as a wargamer, although there are times that I do have the need of a great battle on my table apart from picking up resources like stone, iron, wheat etc etc....
So I decided to ask the "wargaming" community for some suggestions on medium light wargames that won't take more than 120-180min to complete without lacking the thematic flavour.
I see plenty of games like Napoleonic series, Command and Colours and to be honest I would really love to lay my hands on but the some of them have a playing time of 240min and above which means that will never appeal to my gaming group.
I would prefer some suggestions for a 2 player games.
I was thinking of Twilight Struggle or Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan but would love to hear from the most experienced ones.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sinclair
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the lighter side

- 1775 & 1812 from Academy Games. They are on the euro side but very good from 2 to 5 players. Each takes about 1.5 hours.

- from the Commands and Colors system Memoir 44, Battle Cry, Napoleonics & Ancients

More on the medium side

- block games from Columbia Games & Worthington Games. Each of theses companies have games from different eras.

If you like the CDG's

- Wilderness War
- Washington's War
- GMTS has many others

I would recommend you try to select a couple of eras of history you like then go from there.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan twice, but I think it's a great game. Twilight Struggle was a bit much to wrap my head around the first time I played it, but I could tell with a few more plays, I would really like it.

1944: Race to the Rhine isn't exactly a wargame, but it may be worth a look. Resource management and supply in a wargame setting.

Some lighter fare would be 1812: The Invasion of Canada or 1775: Rebellion. I would describe these as euro wargames. I haven't played it, but Strike of the Eagle looked pretty good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Polis: Fight for the Hegemony, I can't think of another game that does as good a job reasonably modeling a historic conflict with euro mechanics.

But I'm always on the look out for others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as a heavy Euro gamer myself, I enjoy Commands & Colors: Ancients and Space Empires: 4X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands and Colors Ancients plays in about an hour. Napoleonics takes about 90 minutes.

The key to selecting a Wargame is to identify what period interests you.

Here are some geeklist to get you started.

Starter Wargames
Wargames that take 3 hours or less (Please add to the list!)
Ultimate Light Wargame Battle!
My favorite low complexity wargames
Simple but Deep Wargames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering your 120-180 min. time limit, I recommend these

Test of Fire: Bull Run 1861

Clash of Wills: Shiloh 1862

They are easy to learn card-driven games where command & control and initiative are key.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I found my one session with Commands & Colors: Napoleonics to be an incredible experience. What caused me to sell it was the fact that it's all maneuvering, like chess. You lose a unit or get wounded or something, it's gone.

As a numbers guy, I like things like supply lines and reinforcements, even if lightly implemented. If not for this, I would still own that real estate-hogging piece of cardboard. The game was extremely immersive.

I think 1775: Rebellion should fit the bill. I just played it on Saturday with a newb friend (his verdict: "This game is way better than Risk"), it's light and it has reinforcements and the idea of area control. What really sells it for me is the extremely large board, to the point you need to stand up to reach across to the other side. Makes me feel that much more like a real commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Twilight Struggle is a wonderful game but the learning curve may be steeper than with some other Euro-ish wargames. After one play you should have a good idea of the gameplay mechanics but it will probably be a very long game.

Julius Caesar, a Columbia block wargame, is a great game and has a feel like a Euro. It's a game of conquest but you also have cards in your hand to play. The rules are pretty easy to learn and the game is very fun and interesting.

I think one strong contender for the ultimate merge of Euro and wargame is Imperial. It, too, is a little more complex, but an excellent gameplay system that merges Risk-like military pieces (armies and navies) and the economics of bankrolling an imperial power. You only control a country's armies and navies if you are the #1 purchaser of that countries financial bonds. If, for example, you, as its largest investor, control France including its armies and navies, but then another player invests more heavily in France than you, then they take France from you and get to control its actions. Excellent game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
All that I need is this moment
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your instant responses!

I do have a lot of research to do now after all these suggestions and lists.
From what I have seen so far, Commands & Colors: Ancients and Commands & Colors: Napoleonics seem to fit the bill, although Polis: Fight for the Hegemony drew my attention too cause of its theme!!

Thank you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's already been mentioned, but the COIN series by GMT fills the middle ground very nicely, though perhaps not sop much if you're looking for 2 player games.

GMT COIN Series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CDGs like Paths of Glory are really popular around here among Euro gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne Koivisto
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it is not a "real" wargame, but I would recommend Eclipse for a transition from eurogames to wargames, although most wargames seem to think it is too much a eurogame, an eurogamer looking on that side should enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Janne
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Histogames' Friedrich might be something worth trying. We at least enjoy that one. Maria, the sistergame, is still waiting on the shelf for opening so for that I can not say much.

*Edit*
and for truely a 2-player game with short playtime 2 de Mayo could be an option
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Commands & Colors: Napoleonics: most scenarios play in around an hour to maybe an hour-and-a-half...

+1 1775: Rebellion: haven't played it 2-player but plays very well as 4-player with partners...

A Few Acres of Snow: designed by a well-known euro designer, Martin Wallace; involves deck-building and, in my experience, plays a little bit longer than the 2 above (1.5 hours, maybe 2 hours some times)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bjanze wrote:
I know it is not a "real" wargame, but I would recommend Eclipse for a transition from eurogames to wargames, although most wargames seem to think it is too much a eurogame, an eurogamer looking on that side should enjoy it.

Not only is Eclipse not a wargame, but Eclipse is much closer to ameritrash than euros. The cubes confuse people. Same with 1775. There aren't any mechanics in either of those games that are "euro-y".

I'm a gamer that mostly enjoys heavy euros, but I love my wargames, too. Some games you should DEFINITELY check out include:

Struggle of Empires
the COIN series
Maria (mechanically beautiful)
Washington's War
Commands & Colors: Ancients
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rajanne wrote:
Hi,
Histogames' Friedrich might be something worth trying. We at least enjoy that one. Maria, the sistergame, is still waiting on the shelf for opening so for that I can not say much.

*Edit*
and for truely a 2-player game with short playtime 2 de Mayo could be an option

pssst...Maria is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
CDGs like Paths of Glory are really popular around here among Euro gamers.

As utterly brilliant as PoG is, the OP has stated a 3 hour time limit. A full game of PoG will significantly exceed 180 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for C&C: Ancients. It has a good amount of strategy, but also some randomness if that is a concern, with a pretty easy to digest rule set. My games have generally been under 2 hours once both players know the rules fully. Also the wooden block units have a charming aesthetic that makes for a unique experience that I like a lot compared to plastic figures or cardboard tokens. Putting all the stickers on when you first get it though is pretty tedious however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't agree more with all the recommendations for 1775, amazing game.
Easy to learn/teach, plays well at 2 and 4 players, brilliant use of cards to not only determine movement but also effect when the end of the game can be triggered. Also fits into your playtime.

This has replaced Memoir 44 for me, I never liked having the board split into 3 zones which effects your movement options when playing cards. In 1775 if you can move 2 armies, it can be any 2 armies you control.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert "Smitty" Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
STRIKE OF THE EAGLE by ACADEMY GAMES is lovely.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1938722/strike-eagle-no-hor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race to Berlin is a solid design and I think the visual appeal and the rules complexity would appeal to typical eurogamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.