BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Vacation, some extra money. I need another game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok,so i recently made a post asking for advice about what game to get. I got Eldritch Horror in the end. I now played that a few times solo and while it was a pretty good game and i will definitely keep playing it i find myself looking for yet another game.

The game we usually play or i play solo currently are:
Descent second edition.
Defenders of the realm
Touch of evil.
Mage wars.
Zombicide.
Runewars.
AH And EH

Also games i own are: Robinson Crouse. Drizzt, Tide of Iron, Mage knight, Lords of waterdeep, Mice and Mystics.

So games i have been looking to get are:
Eclipse ( this one i have been thinking about buying the longest i think.)
Dead of Winter ( havent arrived yet here in sweden)
Heroes of Noramdie ( dont know much about it but it seems pretty good)
Dawn of the Zeds( i know this is all solo, but it looks very good. Would like some more info on it.)
Shadows over Brimstone( looking forward to it when it arrives)
Merchants and Marauders( Just something different from what i have....and i like pirates!)
Runebound ( looks decent but not my nr 1 on the list)
Dark darker darkest( i know the KS and rules have had trouble, but the components and gameplay looks very cool).
Fortune and Glory( Looks fun and i like FFG a lot with the games i already have, but i heard it had its faults)
Mansion of Madness( looks like a great game. BUT i allready own AH and EH and im a tad scared they will be too similar.)
War of the rings second edition ( this one is out everywhere here in Sweden. I will buy it as soon as it shows up again though.)
LNOE by FFG( another zombie game i had me recommended a lot. Seems very cool but might be a lesser game than Zombicide after getting used to those fine components etc....not sure).

Ok, so these are some of the games i enjoy and want to get in future.
If you can add any other being related to these that you can highly recommend, do it id love to get some more decisions to mull over hehe.
/Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the games on your list that I own:

Eclipse - I think it is a really good game. I have never played Twilight Imperium, but a lot of people who have claim that Twilight Imperium is a better (but longer) game.

Runebound - This is also a good game (but Eclipse is better). I enjoyed Runebound quite a bit soon after I bought it, but as time has passed it has become less interesting to me. I still pull it out and play a solo game or two every now and then.

Fortune and Glory - This can be a really fun game. HOWEVER, I think I read the rules three times before I got a good feel for it. The major problem is that there are solo rules, co-op rules, and competitive rules and they are not well organized/segregated from one another in the rulebook. So, it often seems like you are reading things that say, "do this . . . except if you are playing solo, then do this, except if you are playing co-op, then do this . . ." But the components are excellent, and there are many, many cards that create a decent amount of variety from one game to the next.

I do not own Mansions of Madness, but I played it once and enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Here are the games on your list that I own:

Eclipse - I think it is a really good game. I have never played Twilight Imperium, but a lot of people who have claim that Twilight Imperium is a better (but longer) game.

Runebound - This is also a good game (but Eclipse is better). I enjoyed Runebound quite a bit soon after I bought it, but as time has passed it has become less interesting to me. I still pull it out and play a solo game or two every now and then.

Fortune and Glory - This can be a really fun game. HOWEVER, I think I read the rules three times before I got a good feel for it. The major problem is that there are solo rules, co-op rules, and competitive rules and they are not well organized/segregated from one another in the rulebook. So, it often seems like you are reading things that say, "do this . . . except if you are playing solo, then do this, except if you are playing co-op, then do this . . ." But the components are excellent, and there are many, many cards that create a decent amount of variety from one game to the next.

I do not own Mansions of Madness, but I played it once and enjoyed it.

Thank you Sounds like Eclipse is on the top! And it was cool that you had something positive to say about Fortune and glory. Heard so many different opinions about it.
/Zol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
zolamnus wrote:

Thank you Sounds like Eclipse is on the top! And it was cool that you had something positive to say about Fortune and glory. Heard so many different opinions about it.
/Zol.

I can see why some people don't like Fortune and Glory:

* It requires a lot of space to play because of the big board and numerous cards.

* It could take a long time to play (some people have complained that what you get out of the game isn't worth the amount of time you need to invest in it).

* It is a "roll and move" game (although, the rules suggest that if you don't like the randomness of rolling to determine how far you move, you can just move a fixed number of spaces every turn).

* As I mentioned, the rulebook isn't the easiest thing to read.

If you don't like Ameritrash, then stay away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
zolamnus wrote:

/Zol.

I can see why some people don't like Fortune and Glory:

* It requires a lot of space to play because of the big board and numerous cards.

* It could take a long time to play (some people have complained that what you get out of the game isn't worth the amount of time you need to invest in it).

* It is a "roll and move" game (although, the rules suggest that if you don't like the randomness of rolling to determine how far you move, you can just move a fixed number of spaces every turn).

* As I mentioned, the rulebook isn't the easiest thing to read.

If you don't like Ameritrash, then stay away.

Yupp i can also really understand how that could put some people off.
I DO however really like ameritrash hehe. So it might be something for me after all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My pro-Ameritrash friend bought Darkest Night (First edition) for solo co-op play. I enjoyed it 2 and 3 player too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, can't answer most, but let me do the few I can:

Fortune and Glory - is a bit like Eldritch Horror in scope and style. The theme is Indiana Jones temple raiding and pulp cliffhangers. It is in my wife's top 3 games and I like the concept. What I don't like is the lack of meaningful decisions and feeling of adventure over a 2 hour game - I basically get to go after two treasures and raid a villain organization hideout and then the game is over. Its more of a rollercoaster you ride than a game you play (to me). That said, I still enjoy playing - my disappointment is I'd rather go on 4-8 adventurers per game to gain artifacts. You can play coop or competitive, which is nice - and Flying Frog Productions has some really good quality cards (though most don't like their use of costumed actors photographed versus drawn/painted artwork).

Mansions of Madness - Similar theme, but closer to Descent in gameplay. You get scripted adventures (5 in the base game) to set up, and there is no campaign mode. However, the narrative is stronger and it feels more like an RPG. It is also susceptible in setup errors, and people complain that all the adventures are not balanced (and they aren't - some favor investigators, some favor the evil player). This is one where you really need to use the BGG files section to supplement it. I recommend it, for some of the concepts were implemented in Eldritch Horror and there are some that were not implemented that are very interesting (such as each monster being unique and the evil player draws them blind, so he doesn't know what powers a monster has until used).

War of the Ring - 2 player and quite a blast, though you cold play in "teams" (but not recommended). Impressive plastic, card and custom die driven, and fairly thematic. It is a long game.

My suggestion? If you haven't gotten the expansion Forsaken Lore for Eldritch Horror, I would make that your first priority. Also, with all the number of RPG-like games you have you might want to consider trying an actual RPG - D&D 5th Edition Basic is a free download from Wizards of the Coast's website and the starter set is very cheap. I think if you aren't playing an RPG yet, you should be. For solo RPG play you can get Mythic GM Emulator to add onto it, Scarlet Heroes (which also has a GM emulator in it), download the Lone Wolf adventure book series for free from Project Aon, or pay a premium to pick up out-of-print Tolkien/Middle-Earth Quest books (which you can add MERP - Middle Earth Role Playing - to instead of using the in-book basic and advanced rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll warn that Eclipse is more Euro than Ameritrash. It requires a lot more thinking and planning than typical Ameritrash games, which tend to be more luck-based and rather mindless to play in comparison. You'll definitely need to put on your Euro thinking cap to play Eclipse well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Verbosity wrote:
Okay, can't answer most, but let me do the few I can:

Fortune and Glory - is a bit like Eldritch Horror in scope and style. The theme is Indiana Jones temple raiding and pulp cliffhangers. It is in my wife's top 3 games and I like the concept. What I don't like is the lack of meaningful decisions and feeling of adventure over a 2 hour game - I basically get to go after two treasures and raid a villain organization hideout and then the game is over. Its more of a rollercoaster you ride than a game you play (to me). That said, I still enjoy playing - my disappointment is I'd rather go on 4-8 adventurers per game to gain artifacts. You can play coop or competitive, which is nice - and Flying Frog Productions has some really good quality cards (though most don't like their use of costumed actors photographed versus drawn/painted artwork).

Mansions of Madness - Similar theme, but closer to Descent in gameplay. You get scripted adventures (5 in the base game) to set up, and there is no campaign mode. However, the narrative is stronger and it feels more like an RPG. It is also susceptible in setup errors, and people complain that all the adventures are not balanced (and they aren't - some favor investigators, some favor the evil player). This is one where you really need to use the BGG files section to supplement it. I recommend it, for some of the concepts were implemented in Eldritch Horror and there are some that were not implemented that are very interesting (such as each monster being unique and the evil player draws them blind, so he doesn't know what powers a monster has until used).

War of the Ring - 2 player and quite a blast, though you cold play in "teams" (but not recommended). Impressive plastic, card and custom die driven, and fairly thematic. It is a long game.

My suggestion? If you haven't gotten the expansion Forsaken Lore for Eldritch Horror, I would make that your first priority. Also, with all the number of RPG-like games you have you might want to consider trying an actual RPG - D&D 5th Edition Basic is a free download from Wizards of the Coast's website and the starter set is very cheap. I think if you aren't playing an RPG yet, you should be. For solo RPG play you can get Mythic GM Emulator to add onto it, Scarlet Heroes (which also has a GM emulator in it), download the Lone Wolf adventure book series for free from Project Aon, or pay a premium to pick up out-of-print Tolkien/Middle-Earth Quest books (which you can add MERP - Middle Earth Role Playing - to instead of using the in-book basic and advanced rules).

Thank you! I can understand your "gripe" with Fortune. It can be frustrating when you have such a thematic good game and you cannot accomplish or use up to what the potential could be. Too bad. maybe they have an expansion out that tries to solve those issues a bit?
Even so i think due to it being such an expensive game here i will wait with buying it and get something else for now.
And Mansion, i just dont know...i have seen it and been keen on buying it. But owning all those AH expansions and EH also make me a bit hesitant to buy it. If people would recommend it the most and speak incredibly highly about it i might reconsider. It might also be one il buy down the stretch. Also the point about one having to be the "evil" player makes for another kind of playsession which ofc can be a lot of fun too if you have a cool group.

I already bought Forsaken lore actually. Already implemented it into my game and played once solo

War of the ring seems great. I regret not buying it in my local store when i had the chance. What put me off then was the theme actually. I LOVE LOTR, however when it is the key feature in a game it can take over too much sometimes, i have seen that in both RPGs and computer games. So much so that you are stuck in the same story about frodo and the ring rather then explore the fantastic world and make your own adventure and history.
I was afraid that War of the ring would be more of the same since after all you play the actual characters from the story. But i have seen it recommended so much so that i decided to get it, and then it was suddenly gone EVERYWHERE here in sweden. Gahcry

About RPGs. Im a huge Dungeons and dragons fan. I played Dungeons and other RPGs for like 20 years. Love it. But the reason for starting boardgaming was that i have a family now and all my old friends have a family( most of them). Now we dont have that amount of time to play or even prepare for an adventure like we used to.
I recently started DnD for my 11 year old boy though, and he loved it. So i will continue doing it for his sake a little now and then. But he also likes boardgaming alot. So it time will be divided between those two
/Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
I'll warn that Eclipse is more Euro than Ameritrash. It requires a lot more thinking and planning than typical Ameritrash games, which tend to be more luck-based and rather mindless to play in comparison. You'll definitely need to put on your Euro thinking cap to play Eclipse well.

hehe...well i dont mind that either actually. I just like the theme etc in ameritrash games. And the components tend to be alot more cool. But Eclipse seems like a really good game. I have followed the twilight/Eclipse debate a lot and had a thread out asking what people preferred in the past. If Twilight had been a more "mellow" game that did not take that amount of preparing and playtime i would rather go with that i think. But Eclipse might be a better fit for me in the end due to the setup and playtime.
/Cheers, Zol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AlexCannon wrote:
My pro-Ameritrash friend bought Darkest Night (First edition) for solo co-op play. I enjoyed it 2 and 3 player too.

ok I just watched another review on it. It looks pretty cool. The map look a bit small though, im a bit scared that you dont have tat much to do in the game. But i know too little about it to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Support your fellow scandinavians and get Eclipse!

It's also a great game.

Here are two more games, which you might enjoy:

Clash of Cultures
Nations

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off; I think it'd probably be a good idea to first narrow down further what you might want to get out and buy. Also, much of it depends on your play group. Many games you list really shine with higher player counts (3-4). Also, you currently have a highly unbalanced collection.

You currently own:

1 semi-coop Dungeon Crawl -> Descent
7 Coops -> DotR, Zombicide, AH, EH, Robinson, MK and M&M, Drizzt, Touch of Evil.
2 "wargames" -> Tide of Iron and RuneWars
1 euro-game -> Lords of Waterdeep
1 2 player tactical mage game -> Mage Wars

I would say, that unless you REALLY enjoy cooperative games you'd be better of buying into something that is a little less similar to what you already own. In my mind, that would knock off:

Dead of Winter, Dark, Darker ,Dawn of the Zeds, Fortune and Glory, of which one is not yet available, and 1 other is crazy expensive (F and G), and a pure luckfest. I hated my play of Fortune and Glory, barely a game at all.

Mansion of Madness and LNoE are both quite similar to Descent. They have a different theme, and I really like both Mansions of Madness and Descent. But they will feel quite similar. Considering your overwhelming amount of fantasy (semi-) cooperative games I would pass on both MoM and LNoE,because they are too similar to what you already have.

Runebound I personally really like. Stated stronger, I like it even more than I like MageKnight, as MK and Runebound give me similar adventure feels, but Runebound is significantly lighter to play and therefore is better played in about 2 hours, compared to MK, which so far has always taken me up to 6 hours to complete. Unfortunately, Runebound is hard going/is OOP, and prices have been creeping up. This has given rise to rumours that Runebound 3.0 is might be released.. I would wait for Gencon to decide if I'd buy into it. Otherwise, for me personally it's one of the games you'll be most likely to play from this whole set of games.

Merchants and Marauders I've played and liked quite a bit. It's fun, but also long and feels even longer due to heavy downtime between turns. Otherwise it's a very cool game, although beware of lousy captains. Take a captain that can maneouvre otherwise you're a big sitting duck.

Heroes of Normandie, I've just seen the review of from Tom Vasel. I would go for probably Memoir'44 or Battlelore 2.0 instead. It seems like a fun game, but it seems other games have done what Heroes does and better.

Eclipse is often hailed as TI:3 light. You already have a TI:3 light game on your list (Runewars). Eclipse is also quite euro-y and as I think Zee Garcia (from the DiceTower reviews) has put it, basically might just be Acquire (and therfore a little euro-y) in space. I must say, I haven't played it yet. But it seems that it MIGHT fit in your collection the best.

I would make sure I would buy something I didn't already have. In my case, I would recommend Eclipse and probably Battlelore 2.0. Merchants and Marauders in my mind has problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Support your fellow scandinavians and get Eclipse!

It's also a great game.

Here are two more games, which you might enjoy:

Clash of Cultures
Nations

Bye
Thanee

Both look like cool games. I watched Tom Vassels reviews. Clash got a beating for the components it seems. Which is a shame. I really enjoy when its well done. Other than that the techtree etc looks really cool.
Nations looks pretty cool also. Have you played shadows over Camelot? is that agood game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ruud2009 wrote:
First off; I think it'd probably be a good idea to first narrow down further what you might want to get out and buy. Also, much of it depends on your play group. Many games you list really shine with higher player counts (3-4). Also, you currently have a highly unbalanced collection.

You currently own:

1 semi-coop Dungeon Crawl -> Descent
7 Coops -> DotR, Zombicide, AH, EH, Robinson, MK and M&M, Drizzt, Touch of Evil.
2 "wargames" -> Tide of Iron and RuneWars
1 euro-game -> Lords of Waterdeep
1 2 player tactical mage game -> Mage Wars

I would say, that unless you REALLY enjoy cooperative games you'd be better of buying into something that is a little less similar to what you already own. In my mind, that would knock off:

Dead of Winter, Dark, Darker ,Dawn of the Zeds, Fortune and Glory, of which one is not yet available, and 1 other is crazy expensive (F and G), and a pure luckfest. I hated my play of Fortune and Glory, barely a game at all.

Mansion of Madness and LNoE are both quite similar to Descent. They have a different theme, and I really like both Mansions of Madness and Descent. But they will feel quite similar. Considering your overwhelming amount of fantasy (semi-) cooperative games I would pass on both MoM and LNoE,because they are too similar to what you already have.

Runebound I personally really like. Stated stronger, I like it even more than I like MageKnight, as MK and Runebound give me similar adventure feels, but Runebound is significantly lighter to play and therefore is better played in about 2 hours, compared to MK, which so far has always taken me up to 6 hours to complete. Unfortunately, Runebound is hard going/is OOP, and prices have been creeping up. This has given rise to rumours that Runebound 3.0 is might be released.. I would wait for Gencon to decide if I'd buy into it. Otherwise, for me personally it's one of the games you'll be most likely to play from this whole set of games.

Merchants and Marauders I've played and liked quite a bit. It's fun, but also long and feels even longer due to heavy downtime between turns. Otherwise it's a very cool game, although beware of lousy captains. Take a captain that can maneouvre otherwise you're a big sitting duck.

Heroes of Normandie, I've just seen the review of from Tom Vasel. I would go for probably Memoir'44 or Battlelore 2.0 instead. It seems like a fun game, but it seems other games have done what Heroes does and better.

Eclipse is often hailed as TI:3 light. You already have a TI:3 light game on your list (Runewars). Eclipse is also quite euro-y and as I think Zee Garcia (from the DiceTower reviews) has put it, basically might just be Acquire (and therfore a little euro-y) in space. I must say, I haven't played it yet. But it seems that it MIGHT fit in your collection the best.

I would make sure I would buy something I didn't already have. In my case, I would recommend Eclipse and probably Battlelore 2.0. Merchants and Marauders in my mind has problems.

wow thanks for a really well thought out breakdown on my collection

I think alot of what you say makes sense.
I think whats giving me problems in deciding on my next game is im all over the place looking for new things to experience hehe.
I know what i DO like about the games i have and try hard to find similar games but have a new experience which isnt that easy to be honest.
Also i DO like variation. So getting games that are too similar might be a bad thing as you yourself say.
Battlelore seems very cool. But if you own Runewars arent they quite similar? I might be way off! Also if i go with this game, what expansion will add the most content and progress the game the most?

And yes...Eclipse might be whats most different from what i have tbh. Since of all the fantasy. Im a sucker for fantasy though and could own more fantasy games as long as they are different games though.
/Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zolamnus wrote:
Clash got a beating for the components it seems.

The plastic is not super high quality, but it is not bad either. There is also a lot of it, a huge amount of pieces.

The plastic cities are really, really cool.

The plastic figures (army and settler dudes) are so so (I replaced mine with wooden cubes and disks).

The other components are great.

Quote:
Have you played shadows over Camelot? is that a good game?

No, I havn't. I think it is a bit like Battlestar Galactica (coop with hidden traitor)?

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok quick update. I could not get hold of some of the games i wanted from this thread and it seemed i would have to wait a while for them to get into the stores.
So in the end i got something i had mentioned but followed up and read about more. Namely Heroes of Normandie. It seems like a really cool game. And it is a little bit different from the games i already have too.
Will let you know what i think of it in the end!
Thank you for all the advice.
/Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.