Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted by Michael Mindes in today's Kickstarter update for AquaSphere, and adding here mostly for posterity:

Quote:
Rialto and Il Vecchio are fantastic games. They both are published by TMG. Sure, Rialto is on the simple end of the Stefan Feld spectrum. Think more Notre Dame and less Trajan. Sure, Il Vecchio feels like an extremely well polished euro game from several years ago.

We printed these games, 3,500 copies of Rialto and 2,000 of Il Vecchio. We didn't Kickstart them. We didn't have a launch deal when they came out. We promoted through our regular Internet channels and through distribution. As of last month's sales report, TMG had 1,253 copies of Rialto left and 596 copies of Il Vecchio.

This means that we have very small profits on each game. Which was good and sufficient when TMG was a cottage company run with part time efforts. At the time, my motivations only needed to be "just don't lose money."

So after almost a year since TMG's release of Rialto and a year and a half since Il Vecchio's release, TMG has sold roughly 2,250 copies of the former and 1,400 copies of the latter.

I find this interesting because this is a rare instance where a publisher has produced detailed sales figures. For some reason, I assumed these sales figures would be higher, although I guess I tend to underestimate how niche a market board gaming really is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
Posted by Michael Mindes in today's Kickstarter update for AquaSphere, and adding here mostly for posterity:

Quote:
Rialto and Il Vecchio are fantastic games. They both are published by TMG. Sure, Rialto is on the simple end of the Stefan Feld spectrum. Think more Notre Dame and less Trajan. Sure, Il Vecchio feels like an extremely well polished euro game from several years ago.

We printed these games, 3,500 copies of Rialto and 2,000 of Il Vecchio. We didn't Kickstart them. We didn't have a launch deal when they came out. We promoted through our regular Internet channels and through distribution. As of last month's sales report, TMG had 1,253 copies of Rialto left and 596 copies of Il Vecchio.

This means that we have very small profits on each game. Which was good and sufficient when TMG was a cottage company run with part time efforts. At the time, my motivations only needed to be "just don't lose money."

So after almost a year since TMG's release of Rialto and a year and a half since Il Vecchio's release, TMG has sold roughly 2,250 copies of the former and 1,400 copies of the latter.

I find this interesting because this is a rare instance where a publisher has produced detailed sales figures. For some reason, I assumed these sales figures would be higher, although I guess I tend to underestimate how niche a market board gaming really is.

Yep. And it is hard to realize how niche while spending a lot of time on BGG.

Once you try to sell enough games to make a living, pay employees, produce games, advertise, and so forth... Then you really learn how niche it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Canfield
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did my part to add 1 sale to each of those games. I think both of those games are fantastic games. Just played both at a recent game night last week, and remembered how much I like them. I think it may have even contributed to a recent purchase of Rialto.

Who knows, maybe there will be a sudden run on copies of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Will play almost everything. Unless i hate it ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to take incount that their are roughly 700-900 new games coming out a year these day's, so competition is alway's gonne be rough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.