Popular Tags: [View All]
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for other wargames at the same complexity level and as good for solo play as Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939. I have the impression that Mark Simonitch WWII games would fit the bill, is that right? How about other games? Preferably ones that are possible to find (or ones that might be reprinted).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1204250/what-are-best-middle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:

Yeah, that's the thread that gave me the idea for this thread. I guess all the games mentioned in that thread will satisfy my first criterium (they're about the same complexity as Red Winter). It's important for me that they are good for solo play too, though, so I guess most card-driven games are out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
oivind22 wrote:
How about other games? Preferably ones that are possible to find (or ones that might be reprinted).

Anything from Standard Combat Series, possibly the games with smaller footprint. Karelia '44, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steinar Vilnes
Norway
TØNBERG
flag msg tools
oivind22 wrote:
keethrax wrote:

Yeah, that's the thread that gave me the idea for this thread. I guess all the games mentioned in that thread will satisfy my first criterium (they're about the same complexity as Red Winter). It's important for me that they are good for solo play too, though, so I guess most card-driven games are out.

Do you only play solo? Not able to find any opponents? There are a couple of people in Drammen that play wargames from time to time

There are some tactical WW2 games that are fairly simple such as Band of Brothers. Iron And Oak from GMT Games are also fairly simply, and are to a large degree dice based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteViln wrote:
Do you only play solo? Not able to find any opponents? There are a couple of people in Drammen that play wargames from time to time

There are some tactical WW2 games that are fairly simple such as Band of Brothers. Iron And Oak from GMT Games are also fairly simply, and are to a large degree dice based.

Thanks for the tip, but I guess the problem is I can't commit to meeting friends more than I do, and I can't push new games on my opponents all the time, either. But I still want to play more. I'm careful not to buy too many games which I'll never find time to play, but if they're soloable I'll always be able to play them. I have my own game room so that I can leave games set up, and can just sneak away for an hour after the kids have gone to bed.

Playing on VASSAL is easier to commit to, though, and I have agreed to play Red Winter on VASSAL with a couple of guys (one live, and one PBEM).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Red Winter's scale and are open to area-impulse, you might want to check out something like Circle of Fire: The Siege of Cholm, 1942. I'm a big fan of the mechanics and the scale and setting are quite similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:
I'm careful not to buy too many games which I'll never find time to play

Brothers, we have just uncovered an impostor in our ranks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go preorder Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, France, June 1944...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:

Already done, but thanks for the tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:
Rindis wrote:

Already done, but thanks for the tip.

Ditto. Only GMT game I have on preorder right now. Can't wait.

seanmac wrote:
If you like Red Winter's scale and are open to area-impulse, you might want to check out something like Circle of Fire: The Siege of Cholm, 1942. I'm a big fan of the mechanics and the scale and setting are quite similar.

+1. ATO magazine rocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went ahead and bought France 40, and pre-ordered Normandy 44, Ardennes 44 and Ukraine 43 which are all on GMTs P500-list. If The Caucasus campagin is put on the list, I'll pre-order that too. If it turns out I don't like France 40 I can always cancel, but I highly doubt that will happen (if I had doubts I wouldn't have pre-ordered in the first place). It seems to be right up my alley, and it's nice to have many games that use the same rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:
It seems to be right up my alley, and it's nice to have many games that use the same rules.

As far as I know, there is not a common rule set between the games. But, for the most part, the rules are very similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q : Game complementary to Red Winter?

A : Green Winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rstites25 wrote:
As far as I know, there is not a common rule set between the games. But, for the most part, the rules are very similar.

At GMTs website they are all listed under non-series games, so I know it's not exactly the same ruleset, but from the description of Ukraine 43 it says:

The 2nd Edition has been re-designed to play much faster using the system used in France '40 and Normandy '44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:

Wouldn't Green Summer be even more complementary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:
Mallet wrote:

Wouldn't Green Summer be even more complementary?

No, because to be truly complementary, it moves from the northern hemisphere to the southern, while shifting half a year, so it remains winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.