Subject: Weight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
8bg
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules, where on the BGG Weight rating scale would you put this? And no, I'm not talking about how heavy the box is

Some Average Weights of other Felds for comparison:

Amerigo - 3.0
Bruges - 2.7
Bora Bora - 3.7
Trajan - 3.6
The Castles of Burgundy - 3.0
Macao - 3.1
Luna - 3.3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
8bit Geezer wrote:
After reading the rules, where on the BGG Weight rating scale would you put this? And no, I'm not talking about how heavy the box is

Amerigo - 3.0
Bruges - 2.7
Bora Bora - 3.7
Trajan - 3.6
Macao - 3.1
Luna - 3.3

I think probably in the neighborhood of Bora Bora at 3.7. Though I think Trajan and Amerigo (especially Amerigo) are higher than where I would put them. Everything else is about right, relatively speaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Castle
United States
Lothian
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that scale your personal opinion based on a scale of 5 or 10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
easye1982 wrote:

BGG weight scale from 1 to 5. It is on every game page under Statistics.

ETA: Finally confirmed it is 1-5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8bg
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
easye1982 wrote:

BGG weight scale from 0 to 4. It is on every game page under Statistics.

ETA: that it goes to zero.

Yes, what Brian said

Here's the Trajan entry, for example:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Castle
United States
Lothian
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! Learn something new everyday! Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
8bit Geezer wrote:

Amerigo - 3.0
Bruges - 2.7
Bora Bora - 3.7
Trajan - 3.6
Macao - 3.1
Luna - 3.3

I think probably in the neighborhood of Bora Bora at 3.7. Though I think Trajan and Amerigo (especially Amerigo) are higher than where I would put them. Everything else is about right, relatively speaking.

I agree with your disagreements with the consensus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on a preliminary read of the rules, I agree that this is somewhere around the Trajan-Bora Bora Region.

There is a separation between deciding (programming) the action and executing it, and you can execute in a completely different order to the order in which it was programmed. This will naturally favour people with better planning skills.

The action board will present a series of choices between actions in order, and the sequencing of actions will change from round to round.

You also need to have certain resources in order to pass certain scoring thresholds, and if you fail to plan for that, you will kick yourself.

It looks fairly interactive, on par if not moreso than than Bora Bora. There's a fair amount of scope to knock people out of regions or drop them a load of points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About 3.0 - 3.5. I think the game looks intimidating but the after reading the rules I thought the game was pretty straightforward. There is no engine building. The game is mostly about action selection. The number of different actions and ways to score points are what give this game weight IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelendil wrote:
About 3.0 - 3.5. I think the game looks intimidating but the after reading the rules I thought the game was pretty straightforward. There is no engine building. The game is mostly about action selection. The number of different actions and ways to score points are what give this game weight IMO.

There is actually an aspect of engine building.

The cards you can get and the Lab extensions will make certain actions better for you than others, and you could put together combinations of those to "build an engine" so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
kelendil wrote:

There is actually an aspect of engine building.

The cards you can get and the Lab extensions will make certain actions better for you than others, and you could put together combinations of those to "build an engine" so to speak.

Yeah, I thought about that, choosing your lab upgrades and research cards, and planning for improved actions is engine building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8bg
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to identify all the luck/random/variance (whatever you want to call it) in the game. Here's what I've come up with so far:

- Programming Tiles change locations each round. Not sure how big of a deal this is, since you can also spend Time bits to directly program bots. But, there will always be one Action that you can never directly program with an Engineer, and with each move others are also eliminated.

- Center tiles. Sector item refills will depend on how the center tiles are randomly rotated

- Research and Lab cards/tiles - depends on the shuffle what is available.

- Random starting lab assignment

- others?

Seems to me similar randomness to TCoB. Sometimes tiles come out in a new round that will directly and unevenly benefit players based on their current "tableau." But there are mitigating factors, like being able to spend Time to directly program bots (similar to using an action to take workers in TCoB, perhaps).

Just rambling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8bit Geezer wrote:
Trying to identify all the luck/random/variance (whatever you want to call it) in the game. Here's what I've come up with so far:

- Programming Tiles change locations each round. Not sure how big of a deal this is, since you can also spend Time bits to directly program bots. But, there will always be one Action that you can never directly program with an Engineer, and with each move others are also eliminated.

- Center tiles. Sector item refills will depend on how the center tiles are randomly rotated

- Research and Lab cards/tiles - depends on the shuffle what is available.

- Random starting lab assignment

- others?

Seems to me similar randomness to TCoB. Sometimes tiles come out in a new round that will directly and unevenly benefit players based on their current "tableau." But there are mitigating factors, like being able to spend Time to directly program bots (similar to using an action to take workers in TCoB, perhaps).

Just rambling

All of the randomness in Aquasphere is before you make any choices for the round. You can sort of plan out your round after you see where the stuff is.

In Burgundy, what you roll on your dice has a big impact on what you're able to do. In Aquasphere the random element is much less of an impact.

There are no "bad rolls" in Aquasphere. I suppose once in a while the action tile distribution will make 2 actions you want to do impossible to do together, but there are ways around that via the "wild" program action, the "program a bot" action, and the 1x/round pay time to program (paying time is rough, the time economy is really tight).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: What do you think is the game "weight" you would give AquaSphere
... based on reading the rules (V10)
Game weight (1 light, 5 heaviest)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
1 lightest
0.0% 0
4.3% 1
47.8% 11
43.5% 10
5 heaviest
4.3% 1
Voters 23
This poll is now closed.   23 answers
Poll created by JeffyJeff
Closes: Wed Oct 1, 2014 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
8bit Geezer wrote:

Amerigo - 3.0
Bruges - 2.7
Bora Bora - 3.7
Trajan - 3.6
Macao - 3.1
Luna - 3.3

Bora Bora is heavier than Trajan? I find that hard to accept. Luna is heavier than Bora Bora, to be sure, but not according to BGG. That whole scale is wonky .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bchlax944 wrote:

Bora Bora is heavier than Trajan? I find that hard to accept. Luna is heavier than Bora Bora, to be sure, but not according to BGG. That whole scale is wonky .

Really? I think Bora Bora is easily and obviously heavier than Trajan. It has the mini game feel of Trajan, but all of the mini games are much more connected so there is a lot more to think about. Trajan is actually very straight forward once you get the mancala down...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
8bit Geezer wrote:

Amerigo - 3.0
Bruges - 2.7
Bora Bora - 3.7
Trajan - 3.6
Macao - 3.1
Luna - 3.3

To sort your list (by weight) and add some more titles to it...

Rum and Pirates - 1.94
The Speicherstadt - 2.27
Rialto - 2.57
Bruges - 2.70
Strasbourg - 2.74
Notre Dame - 2.76
Amerigo - 3.02
The Castles of Burgundy - 3.05
Macao - 3.12
In the Year of the Dragon - 3.12
Luna - 3.29
Trajan - 3.63
Bora Bora - 3.70

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mathue,

I'd agree, mostly, with the exception that I'm not including "ability to understand" as a factor in a game's weight. I think Trajan has a lot more going on than Bora Bora and allows, if one plays well, for much more planning ahead. Aka, Trajan is much closer to something like Madeira than Bora Bora, IMHO. And Luna is deeper than the lot of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bchlax944 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
8bit Geezer wrote:

Amerigo - 3.0
Bruges - 2.7
Bora Bora - 3.7
Trajan - 3.6
Macao - 3.1
Luna - 3.3

I find Trajan clicks very well whereas Bora Bora does not. Weight is obviously a subjective things and people have different criteria for it. So I am fine with Bora Bora where it is but think Trajan should be even lower in the weight class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I find the multi turn sequencing markedly harder in Trajan, whilst my decisions in Bora Bora mostly felt obvious.

Maybe that's because I've only played Bora Bora once and don't appreciate the subtleties, but that's partially because I was quite underwhelmed. The game felt scripted, almost like some form of tropical corporate appraisal system.

Whereas in Trajan, I got beaten about 7-8 times in a row before I got a good feel for the game, and most of the time I win 2 games in 3. That's partly down to a personal problem I have with short term memory retention (I have a tendency to make decisions based on what seems good right now to compensate which really messes up any multi turn planning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.