bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because i'm not really satisfied with Cyclades as a 2 player game

On the standard game, it's a good way to just discover the game.
But the game is much much better from 3 to 5

Here, with an expansion, there is no place for a "discovery" mode.
So.. yes, it's possible to play at 2, simulating a 4 player game, with team mode.. but it's complex (you have to separate money for your 2 colors, etc..), and it leads to quite a "chess game", without the flavor i like in Cyclades

So, on our side, we decided to assume that this game has to be played from 3 to 6, keeping the flavor we like.. if some players enjoy playing it at 2, simulating a 4 player game, with team mode, they are completely free.. it will be their homerule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał M
Poland
flag msg tools
Lakoda wrote:
I always consider a board game to be a kit, so I am not afraid of homerules, I was more curious if you encountered something that broke the 2P game. But it sounds more like it didn't breakdown so much mechanically (besides becoming more fiddly) but more thematically it broke down. Thanks again Bruno. My wife is my primary partner and we really enjoy the 2P game, especially with Hades. We do agree, the game is better with more, but it is still an excellent game with 2.

I find base game and base with hades entertainig with 2 players mode only when I play with experienced person. With less experienced players I must "make mistakes" by not doing the best I can. That's because it is very difficult to show new player whole bunch of possibilities that game gives us.

In 3 or more player game I can just let new player to see the game by seeing how we crush each other with other players.

Still we can make a little suggestions and show how to be a pain in the ass to a game leader

Mr. Cathala could you tell us something about release date? Is it still possible that Titans will be available in August?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno des Montagnes wrote:
Just because i'm not really satisfied with Cyclades as a 2 player game

On the standard game, it's a good way to just discover the game.
But the game is much much better from 3 to 5

Here, with an expansion, there is no place for a "discovery" mode.
So.. yes, it's possible to play at 2, simulating a 4 player game, with team mode.. but it's complex (you have to separate money for your 2 colors, etc..), and it leads to quite a "chess game", without the flavor i like in Cyclades

So, on our side, we decided to assume that this game has to be played from 3 to 6, keeping the flavor we like.. if some players enjoy playing it at 2, simulating a 4 player game, with team mode, they are completely free.. it will be their homerule

What don't you like about the base game of Cyclades with two? Why did you even bother with two player rules to begin with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

What don't you like about the base game of Cyclades with two? Why did you even bother with two player rules to begin with?

Yes, the game works well for 2 players, and to discover the rules before teaching it to a wider group, it's perfect. That's the reason why i wrote these rules.

What i don't like is that, for two players, it's king of "mythological chess" game. And you loose the epic flavor of the game.

More, if one of the player takes a significative advantage, it's quite impossible for the opponent to come back. He will loose for sure.. but not immediately. And you have to play a lot of turns before the final victory, but knowing you have no real chance to come back.

That the reason why i think it's a good way to discover the game, but not the best configuration to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Yes, the game works well for 2 players, and to discover the rules before teaching it to a wider group, it's perfect. That's the reason why i wrote these rules.

What i don't like is that, for two players, it's king of "mythological chess" game. And you loose the epic flavor of the game.

More, if one of the player takes a significative advantage, it's quite impossible for the opponent to come back. He will loose for sure.. but not immediately. And you have to play a lot of turns before the final victory, but knowing you have no real chance to come back.

That the reason why i think it's a good way to discover the game, but not the best configuration to play it.

Any variants that could improve the 2-player experience? We've been playing to two metropolises instead of three for shorter games and it seems to work better. 3 just drags out like you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Any variants that could improve the 2-player experience? We've been playing to two metropolises instead of three for shorter games and it seems to work better. 3 just drags out like you mentioned.

Crickets? I would love to explore additional two player variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
icarusmustburn wrote:
Crickets? I would love to explore additional two player variants.

This expansion introduces a four-player team mode. There is your two-player variant out of the box: each player controls two colors. I played this way today and it worked fine. Keeping money and cards separate really isn't too fiddly or complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.