7 Posts

Jamaica» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Jamaica reviewed by Daisy Doodle Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mommy gamer
msg tools
mbmbmb
To see the full review with pictures go to http://daisydoodledice.com/2014/07/22/jamaica/

Great game of pirate ships, treasure, and a race to the finish. Being the first doesn’t mean you’ll win, but it will increase your chances.

Mfg. Age: 8+

Our Age: 6+

Length: 45 min

Players: 2-6

Basics

Take your pirate ship around the island, look for treasure, and fight other pirates. Watch your treasure closely or you may lose it.

Players take turns rolling the dice and choosing which dice will be used for the morning action, and which dice will be used for the evening action. Everyone chooses a card to play based on those dice.

The symbol on the left of your card is your morning action and the symbol on the right of your card is your evening action. So if your morning action is a green arrow you would move forward the number showing on the dice located in the morning spot. If the dice was a 3 you would move forward 3 spaces. If your night action was a food token and the dice for the night action was a 5, you would take 5 food tokens.

Place your goods in one of your cargo holds. You run out of cargo holds quickly so place your goods wisely.

There’s more to the game, like collecting treasure, paying for the spaces you land on, fighting other ships if you land on the same space and more, but you’ll have to read the rules for that because I’m ready to tell you what I think of the game.

My two cents

This is a great game. It’s very well made and just a lot of fun. How well you do varies each time you play it. There is some luck involved, so if you only like strategic games you may not like it. There’s dice rolling to determine what your cards can do for you, and then you’re shuffling your own deck of cards and only get to choose from three of them each turn. I’ve played games where everything was going my way and I rocked it; and I’ve played games where I couldn’t get anything to work for me. Those games aren’t quite as fun because you feel like there’s not much you can do to change your situation. However, there is fighting and stealing so if you can position yourself, you could potentially take treasure from another player and if you win a game that way, the victory is even sweeter.

I put that a 6 year old can play this game, and that’s true. Our 6 year old plays it and enjoys it. I don’t know if every 6 year old would enjoy it, but I think most could play just fine, especially if they enjoy it and play multiple times. They might need the first few games to get it all, but kids catch on pretty quick.

The artwork is beautiful. It’s bright. It’s colorful and it’s pleasing to the eye.

The artwork on the cards is similar to the game board, and just as beautiful, you know as beautiful as pirate’s can be.

The components are nice, and the best part is the box insert. Obviously a good box insert is important to me because I’ll make my own if the original doesn’t work. Although I enjoy making them, I’d rather games just come with a nice one, and this game does just that. There’s a place for everything.

The middle section is layered so you have to put things away in order. On the bottom is the treasure cards.

On top of that goes the individual player decks. On the left you’ll want to put in the treasure tokens.

On top of the treasure tokens goes the start player token, and on top of all of that goes the individual player cargo holds. It’s a nicely made box, and nice components and pieces to go inside.

I don’t have any complaints about actual game play. This is a fun, well made game. The thing about this game is, it’s expensive. Good games don’t come cheap and this is one of those. I’m a cheap skate so when Ryan wanted to get this game I wasn’t real excited about it because of the price. It’s been a good investment for us. We enjoy it, the kids enjoy it, and we’ve shared it some of our friends as well.

I do have one more complaint, but it isn’t about game play either. It’s the size of the cards. Because this is such an expensive game we’d love to sleeve all the cards in it, but because the cards are such an unusual size, there’s no sleeves that fit them. So far nothing bad has happened, but with our kids you never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
As you only need very basic counting to "play" the game it is really a good one for younger peeps - yes!

Also the high amount of luck will still make it possible for them to win, even if you don't "let them".

And then last but not least if at first it is a counting game and a youngling ;-) manages that just fine, rather sooner than later he will get some of the hand management and the tricks you can do with moving back on purpose to collect treasures or fight other pirates. At some times I wish there were 2 dice to add some more likelyhood stuff ... still great, despite very light, how it is. The theme and great components carry this very luck based game. Compared to stuff like splendor, this is a great gateway game that is even fun to play for regular board gamers from time to time cause it offers more than just luck (it offers theme and light-hearted confrontation) - much like king of tokyo but without player elimination.

That being said, don't play it too often
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mommy gamer
msg tools
mbmbmb
What he said. That's what I was trying to say. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always laminate the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mommy gamer
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just curious if you've ever tried laminating your cards, and if you're glad you did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
msg tools
badge
It's so FLUFFY!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
re: laminating - not cards but I laminated my character cards for Robinson Crusoe.

As for Jamaica sleeves - Swan PanAsia sleeve size: (SWN-026) - (60 x 120mm) for the Large cards.

Also, there is an awesome geeklist that has the card sizes for just about any game out there. It's constantly being updated.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164572/card-sleeve-sizes-g...

Edit to fix link to take you to the front page vs to the J's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mommy gamer
msg tools
mbmbmb
Good to know about the sleeves. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.