George Triantafyllidis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Ο ΘΕΟΣ ΤΗΣ ΠΟΛΗΣ
mbmbmbmbmb
In BW strategy do contests against only robots (which do not actually defend) still count for awarding a Special? I assume yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robots still defend unless they have been lapped. They draw two cards blind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Triantafyllidis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Ο ΘΕΟΣ ΤΗΣ ΠΟΛΗΣ
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Emma.
Maybe i need to rephrase my question.There are contests against robots that do not defend(lapped,to be lapped) where the player 'wins' automatically(by having one card frozen). Do these contests award Specials?. So to speak is the condition 'wins' met in the following rule:
Quote:
A player with BANGING WHEELS scores a SPECIAL every time he wins a contest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes as you still have to participate in the contest by freezing a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
A lapped robot will not attempt to unlap itself, if it is potentially in a contest where it could unlap, then it doesn't compete. I don't think you should get a special for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabvier wrote:
In BW strategy do contests against only robots (which do not actually defend) still count for awarding a Special? I assume yes

Any contest you win will provide a special, also those against lapped robots. No exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greenskid wrote:
Fabvier wrote:

Any contest you win will provide a special, also those against lapped robots. No exceptions.

Alessandro, on page 12 the rules state:

Robots loose any movement point when they reach a driver with more laps. There are only two cases when a robot can unlap itself a. When the car in front is off-track and they move before it re-enters the track b. When a robot succeed in a Late Braking (Advanced Game only)

So, if a robot cannot unlap itself, why would it be competing in a contest it cannot win? And why then would a car be considered to have "won" a contest when it was the only participant in the contest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Greenskid wrote:
Fabvier wrote:

Robots loose any movement point when they reach a driver with more laps. There are only two cases when a robot can unlap itself a. When the car in front is off-track and they move before it re-enters the track b. When a robot succeed in a Late Braking (Advanced Game only)

So, if a robot cannot unlap itself, why would it be competing in a contest it cannot win? And why then would a car be considered to have "won" a contest when it was the only participant in the contest?

Alessandro isn't talking about Lapped Robots making a challenge to unlap themselves...

He's saying that when a player declares a contest in a corner against a Lapped robot or if the player is the leader against a robot he's going to lap now the robot won't defend in that contest... still the player declares a contest if he wants (and why wouldn't he, he gets to lap a robot without spending movement points) he freezes 1 card (no need to freeze 2 cards since the robot won't defend) and because he made the contest he gets the Special that gives him the Track card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:
Greenskid wrote:
Fabvier wrote:

Alessandro isn't talking about Lapped Robots making a challenge to unlap themselves...

He's saying that when a player declares a contest in a corner against a Lapped robot or if the player is the leader against a robot he's going to lap now the robot won't defend in that contest... still the player declares a contest if he wants (and why wouldn't he, he gets to lap a robot without spending movement points) he freezes 1 card (no need to freeze 2 cards since the robot won't defend) and because he made the contest he gets the Special that gives him the Track card

A lapped robot will not attempt to unlap itself, period. I think that's pretty succinct.

What Alessandro said is that it is still considered a "contest" when a lapped robot is the other car. That, to me, sounds silly, since you're not even competing with it. If you want to imagine you are, because you committed a card, you're free to do so, but the situation still doesn't make sense. How are you "winning" a contest when you're the only one competing in it? That's what it comes down to - the Banging Wheels player is getting rewarded for a contest in which his car was the only participant. That isn't logical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still a contest was declared so there's a contest in play...

Don't know why you are talking about lapped robots trying to unlap... Everyone knows that they can't unlap... No one talked about that other than you...

The question posed has nothing to do with lapped robots trying to unlap...

The question asked was if a player with banging wheels that declares a contest against a robot that is in front of him that is lapped or that the player is going to lap now, if that contest declared by the player awards him a track card?

Don't know where you get that we were talking about robots trying to unlap themselves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will certainly not allow track cards in that situation. I agree Darrell, a contest has to have more than 1 competing, that's it's definition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Blazquez Garcia
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I understand is: if I declare a contest and no car (tobots, human, whatever) want to fight, I overtake all of them, so I have certainly won that contest, so I score a Special as Alessandro says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited

Looks like we are talking about different situations here.

Order: human behind a lapped robot
Human declares contest and in fact a contest takes place, the other contender (robot) declines his participation and there is a clear winner. A track card is indeed awarded for this overtake. This is one of the things that make banging wheels attractive also in slow traffic.

Order: lapped robot behind a human
Lapped robot does not declare contest and human cannot declare contest if he is in the lead in the section and has no challenger. That would sound totally silly to me. Looks like it is not specified in the rules, but to me if there is no challenge the car first in the section cannot be the only one declaring contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Triantafyllidis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Ο ΘΕΟΣ ΤΗΣ ΠΟΛΗΣ
mbmbmbmbmb
I can certainly see the reasoning behind both opinions.It can be a debatable issue.Well, that is why i raised the question in the first place.I personally already play with the official ruling as explained by Alessandro,just wanted to confirm and also see what others think of it.

In my opinion if those contests would not count for a special award then the BW becomes considerably weaker than other strategies.
So even if i can see why some players do not feel comfortably to count these contests as normal contests,i will go with Alessandro's ruling

And although the robots do not defend,nevertheless the player has initiated a contest(there could be no change in the order without a contest) which as it happens wins by default(with the +3 bonus the chances are he would anyway). I do not see why the BW user should be deprived of his special ability/benefit.He already doesn't gain any special benefit over players with different strategies for overtaking lapped cars during movement.My two pennies worth...
Edit:i don't understand how the issue with the lapped cars behind humans was raised.There is no contest in this case as lapped robots do not initiate a contest.I thought it was obvious that the questions refers to what happens in the case where the human player is behind the lapped/to be lapped robots
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Banging Wheels special has no shortage of opportunities to be used. IMO, it is at least one of the two most powerful strategies. Awarding track cards for a contest against a car that will not even compete seems excessive for an already powerful strategy.

Just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.