Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you Net an opponents Net Fighter does this remove the netted Net Fighters net/s from other adjacent units it had disabled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Kline

Bakersfield
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
If a Net fighter is being Netted his nets are disabled.

There are however a few edge case situations.

If the nets of 2 Net fighters are hitting each other than the 2 Nets cancel each other and all other abilities that the units have, not related to those 2 nets (other nets, melee attacks) still work.

If
Net Fighter 1 is netting Net Fighter 2
Net Fighter 2 is netting Net Fighter 3 and
Net Fighter 3 is netting Net Fighter 1

Than all nets in the "circle" are negated but all other abilities that the units have, not related to those nets in the circle still work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
If a Net fighter is being Netted his nets are disabled.

There are however a few edge case situations.

If the nets of 2 Net fighters are hitting each other than the 2 Nets cancel each other and all other abilities that the units have, not related to those 2 nets (other nets, melee attacks) still work.

If
Net Fighter 1 is netting Net Fighter 2
Net Fighter 2 is netting Net Fighter 3 and
Net Fighter 3 is netting Net Fighter 1

Than all nets in the "circle" are negated but all other abilities that the units have, not related to those nets in the circle still work.

I saw this in the rule book but couldn't understand how the nets of two net fighters would be hitting each other at the same time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
I saw this in the rule book but couldn't understand how the nets of two net fighters would be hitting each other at the same time?

What's confusing about that? Unit X nets unit Y if a net-hexside of unit X is touching unit Y. So of course 2 adjacent units with net-hexsides could each have their net-hexides touching the other unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sataranji
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Rindel wrote:

Here are some examples from the iOS version:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Rindel wrote:

What's confusing about that? Unit X nets unit Y if a net-hexside of unit X is touching unit Y. So of course 2 adjacent units with net-hexsides could each have their net-hexides touching the other unit.

Sorry but your explanation is very confusing.

What I mean is that in this game it's your go my go etc so if I play a netter then you play one adjacent how are they going to net each other at the same time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
russ wrote:
Rindel wrote:

What I mean is that in this game it's your go my go etc so if I play a netter then you play one adjacent how are they going to net each other at the same time?

"Netting" isn't some instantaneous action; it's an ongoing state which lasts as long as an (itself un-netted) netter is adjacent to the netted unit. I.e. if your unit is in contact with a net hexside of my (un-netted) unit, then your unit is netted and won't act when its turn to act comes in a battle.

So it doesn't matter which unit was placed before the other. If they're both touching their net hexsides against the other, then they are each netting the other.

PS: It occurs to me that perhaps your confusion is that you're (mistakenly) thinking that a unit X can only net another (already placed) unit at the moment unit X is placed onto the board? If so, that's not true. If I place a netter, and you later place a unit touching a net hexside of my netter, then your unit is in its net and "netted"/paralyzed. Similarly if a push or pull action moves a unit to become adjacent to a net hexside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Rindel wrote:
russ wrote:
Rindel wrote:

"Netting" isn't some instantaneous action; it's an ongoing state which lasts as long as an (itself un-netted) netter is adjacent to the netted unit. I.e. if your unit is in contact with a net hexside of my (un-netted) unit, then your unit is netted and won't act when its turn to act comes in a battle.

So it doesn't matter which unit was placed before the other. If they're both touching their net hexsides against the other, then they are each netting the other.

PS: It occurs to me that perhaps your confusion is that you're (mistakenly) thinking that a unit X can only net another (already placed) unit at the moment unit X is placed onto the board? If so, that's not true. If I place a netter, and you later place a unit touching a net hexside of my netter, then your unit is in its net and "netted"/paralyzed. Similarly if a push or pull action moves a unit to become adjacent to a net hexside.

I've only had the game a little while and on reading the rules that's how I thought the nets where played. On page 9 Z-man rules it says “Nets disable the opponents as soon as they are placed” I assumed this to mean as soon as the netter is placed it disables opponents units adjacent to it's nets. Where does it say about nets working all the time when a unit is moved into an adjacent netters hex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
I've only had the game a little while and on reading the rules that's how I thought the nets where played. On page 9 Z-man rules it says “Nets disable the opponents as soon as they are placed” I assumed this to mean as soon as the netter is placed it disables opponents units adjacent to it's nets. Where does it say about nets working all the time when a unit is moved into an adjacent netters hex?

Looking at the Z-Man rules now (I have an earlier Portal edition of the rules.)

The "as soon as" is intended to mean that nets take effect immediately vs adjacent units, not at some later (unspecified) time. But I agree that this sentence is arguably unclear, alas.

The old Portal rules I have as the first first sentence about nets: "Nets disable adjacent opponents, who cannot perform any actions themselves" and later include a similar "as soon as" sentence - I think the intent is clearly that the main point = simply that adjacent units are disabled, and the "as soon as" is just clarifying that this effect is in effect immediately (for purposes of units with special abilities unrelated to battles, e.g. units which can move or push during a player's turn), not just during battles.

In any case, I would agree that the rules are sub-optimally written. I can only say that this is how nets work as far as I've always played the game since it first appeared, including with many diverse opponents at conventions and tournaments run by Portal, and in the smartphone app. Hopefully this info is useful. Otherwise I guess you'll need to wait for an official response from Portal or Z-Man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help Russ I shall play the netters that way from now on then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.