Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: Detroit - Game Night every Monday downtown. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone my name is Tony Bosca. Nice to meet you all!

I wanted to reach out to the southeast Michigan BGG community with an invitation to join me for a new WEEKLY game night on Mondays at Motor City Wine from 7PM-12AM. Due to the location, this meetup is for people age 21 and older. John Shetler will be spinning jazz records.

Here's a link to the event on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/events/509464455851102/


Motor City Wine
1949 Michigan Ave
Detroit, MI 48216
http://www.facebook.com/MotorCityWine
http://motorcitywine.com
http://www.google.com/maps/preview?ie=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=us&cid=6...



Why MCW?

Dave and Melissa at MCW are friends of mine and graciously offered to host the game night. The location is wonderful; the atmosphere of the MCW is very relaxing and the staff is great, there is adequate table space for us to have several games going at once, parking is safe and monitored for security. The wine selection is insane and there is someone that can appeal to the BGG user in you that could talk your ear off about it. The club also has a turntable setup that we will "guest out" to different DJ's throughout the year. John Shetler will be there this Monday spinning jazz records.

Why downtown Detroit?

Well all of the above obviously. In addition I think there's a need for something like this in Detroit proper. There are several game groups in SE MI but none operate primarily out of the city. Also most of the game nights are in fact game days; I think this will be rather unique in that it is held on a weekday, in the evening and is for adults. I can't generally make it to Ferndale game day or ROBA because they are on weekends, there must be some others in my shoes! Although I don't live in Detroit, I spend an awful lot of my free time down there and look forward to contributing to the energy and excitement contained within.

What should I bring?

Bring your favorite couple games. You might be a little more careful about bringing your OOP gems, as there will be alcohol served, if you know what I mean. I'll be bringing a bunch of euro's, some card games and a few classics; so you don't have to bring any games if you don't want to. I will have plenty. Bring money, because although nothing has been formally established they might like it if you bought a glass of wine, a beer or other NA beverages. I imagine lighter games will get more playing time, but the people here seem very receptive to trying new things out. My regular group and I are fans of deeper games so ideally it would be nice to have some variety in that regard.


--


So we'll see ya Monday?



cancelled.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremiah a
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
Tony,

That sounds awesome!

Boardgames, wine and jazz; great call. Alas, I moved to K-Zoo. I look forward to making it to one in the future.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try to attend sometime, but Mondays are gonna be tough. Sounds like a good time
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
terminx900 wrote:
Tony,

That sounds awesome!

Boardgames, wine and jazz; great call. Alas, I moved to K-Zoo. I look forward to making it to one in the future.


zombie plumber wrote:
I will try to attend sometime, but Mondays are gonna be tough. Sounds like a good time


Nice to meet ya's; you're both welcome if you get the chance!

It'll probably be a little slow to get going, but I think it could be a real nice night out. Just need to get the ball rolling...

Feel free to tell other gamers that might be interested, if you'd please.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Tony,

This sounds great. I no longer live in Michigan, but will be visiting my parents in Milford at the end of August. Will these Mondays be absolutely every week - particularly August 18?

I hope they're successful.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
Hey Tony,

This sounds great. I no longer live in Michigan, but will be visiting my parents in Milford at the end of August. Will these Mondays be absolutely every week - particularly August 18?

I hope they're successful.


Hello!

The owners of MCW have assured me that they want to give it time to grow. I can't say for certain that I'll be doing August 18th, I'd hate to mislead you, but I'd say it's 90%. If you send me a geekmail the week before, possibly earlier, I'll know for sure. If my memory doesn't fail me I might even remember to geekmail you.

During the "soft opening" where I had sort of hoped to introduce some of their current customers to games and introduce my gaming group and games, I had an uncharacteristic string of cancellations by my friends. This in combination with the bar just starting to open on Monday's for the first time since it's establishment, led to quieter night than I would have liked. I definitely wanted to check it out before I posted here and honestly expected more of a turnout.

There was a glowing ember of awesome that night though; we taught 4 non-gamers Dream Factory. It was 3 of their first eurogame and they all loved it. So they are coming back.

Just need a few more of those in combination with that sort interest piquing crowd of people with smiles on their faces; or deep in thought!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So this isn't for a previously established group that you are just inviting others to? You are trying to get otherwise non-gamers into it? That is ambitious, but exciting (and potentially disappointing). Well, I'll do what I can to get there. I'll probably call in a favor from my parents so they watch the kid, while my wife and I join you. I'm the rules-explainer of my group, so it'd be fun to help out a bit - and I'll be fresh from GenCon, so maybe I'll be armed with some new games I'll be sure to PM you in a few weeks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
So this isn't for a previously established group that you are just inviting others to? You are trying to get otherwise non-gamers into it? That is ambitious, but exciting (and potentially disappointing). Well, I'll do what I can to get there. I'll probably call in a favor from my parents so they watch the kid, while my wife and I join you. I'm the rules-explainer of my group, so it'd be fun to help out a bit - and I'll be fresh from GenCon, so maybe I'll be armed with some new games I'll be sure to PM you in a few weeks.


My hope was non-gamers being introduced to games by my group, and possibly other seasoned gamers. Or if they want to just dive-in they could try! I'd like to have games with mostly non-gamers and games with mostly seasoned gamers running in tandem. Maybe 4-5 tables. Ambitious I know! I also brought a handful of familiar games and abstracts, for those that might want to start with something familiar.

My game group is small but I have a lot of friends that have been meaning to play games for awhile. Usually the type that might enjoy a more social atmosphere and game selection. So this is for them too. If it ends up being my group playing up there consistently on mondays until we convert enough people or convince enough of you pro's, so be it. I'll suffer through the games.

I think it's totally doable. I look forward to you coming to check out my progress!

*I've also reached out to other groups and members I've played with in the past personally, so hopefully some them can make it out!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I will make it point to free up a Monday and come check it out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Allen
United States
Madison Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this sounds cool. Will try to do the same as well. Bonus that I'm a fan of jazz music.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:
I will make it point to free up a Monday and come check it out.


allenj82 wrote:
Yeah, this sounds cool. Will try to do the same as well. Bonus that I'm a fan of jazz music.


Awesome guys. It's been a bit! I'd really appreciate you checking it out even if this week doesn't end up working out for you. I think it's going to a pretty be a cool scene.

I think I'm going to have a much better turnout this time. Getting a lot of confirmations... we'll see how motivated I can get people to come out on a Monday!



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
::nudge::
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps once softball is over after August, I can get the wife to let me keep a Monday night obligation
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Allen
United States
Madison Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not gonna make it tonight, but hope to make it out next week!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmayDET wrote:
Perhaps once softball is over after August, I can get the wife to let me keep a Monday night obligation


ninja stuff for sure!

We'd love to have you. Message me when you're schedule is freeing up and I'll be sure to let you now if we're still up and running! (all indications point to yes!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
allenj82 wrote:
Not gonna make it tonight, but hope to make it out next week!


Do it up!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we had like 5-fold turnout this time over last week. MCW (the bar) was very happy and so were the many new gamers; people new to games, people new to MCW and like almost everyone was new to me.



Did anyone from the Geek make it? Just curious... it was pretty chaotic for moments there. It was hard to tell the possible gamers and just random folks checking things out. (which is a good thing!)

Just make sure if you do come, if I don't greet you right away I might not have seen you. Complete groups of people came in sat down and started playing games. I wasn't worried about that at all, in fact I thought it was pretty awesome, I just want to make sure I'm offering you as many gameplay options as possible. Just grab a game from the pile if you want. If you need or want to be taught I'd happily oblige. I (or someone that knows the game well) are willing to just referee a game for a few rounds if you just want to play by the proper rules with your pals.

I'll probably just keep this thread going as far as bgg updates on this game night. Maybe someday a guild will be in order if it seems to garner interest.

The next game night at MCW is this next Monday, August 4th.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCUS GABRIEL
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Five cents, please," his front door said when he tried to open it. The toll door had an innate stubborness to it... UBIK
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
terminx900 wrote:
Tony,

That sounds awesome!

Boardgames, wine and jazz; great call. Alas, I moved to K-Zoo. I look forward to making it to one in the future.



Check out Fanfare games on 4415 S Westnedge Ave, Kalamazoo Township, MI 49008 (269) 349-8866. Fairly good game selection on plenty of gaming tables.

Mark K'84
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCUS GABRIEL
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Five cents, please," his front door said when he tried to open it. The toll door had an innate stubborness to it... UBIK
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The next game night at MCW is this next Monday, August 4th.

I'd like to make a Monday this summer. As a life-long Detroiter I appreciate what you are doing. And I love jazz, too. What a bonus! Michicon is this Saturday; perhaps if you are going you can hand out some flyers.

Looking forward to meeting you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Stanley
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good turnout! 5 player settlers, For Sale, Cards Against Humanity, Chess, Backgammon, and Caylus were getting played. Tony brought a ton of games for anyone to use. Good service, nice patio area and a great beverage selection. Can't wait to see what the next weeks will look like.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MARCUSRPG wrote:
The next game night at MCW is this next Monday, August 4th.

I'd like to make a Monday this summer. As a life-long Detroiter I appreciate what you are doing. And I love jazz, too. What a bonus! Michicon is this Saturday; perhaps if you are going you can hand out some flyers.

Looking forward to meeting you.


Come on by!

Wanted to go to Michicon but can't make it this year. We've been, I think, two times over the past few years. That would be a nice way to promote though, good idea! I'd like to make it to the other groups someday and pass the word along, but as mentioned earlier in this post I haven't been to any of them, therefore would feel uncomfortable promoting there. Maybe after the summer I'll have some time to go to Ferndale Game Day, the proximity makes it an ideal place to get the word out.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kickassdude wrote:
Good turnout! 5 player settlers, For Sale, Cards Against Humanity, Chess, Backgammon, and Caylus were getting played. Tony brought a ton of games for anyone to use. Good service, nice patio area and a great beverage selection. Can't wait to see what the next weeks will look like.


Yes, a few different Catans ended up going off with a few new players in each group. Catan, I'd imagine, will be popular at the events just based on the momentum it received this week. It certainly deserves its due as a great gateway to the hobby.

Should be growing each week I think. Gonna try and get a little more mixing going this upcoming week. Maybe some games of the Resistance!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blakstar wrote:
kickassdude wrote:
Good turnout! 5 player settlers, For Sale, Cards Against Humanity, Chess, Backgammon, and Caylus were getting played. Tony brought a ton of games for anyone to use. Good service, nice patio area and a great beverage selection. Can't wait to see what the next weeks will look like.


Yes, a few different Catans ended up going off with a few new players in each group. Catan, I'd imagine, will be popular at the events just based on the momentum it received this week. It certainly deserves its due as a great gateway to the hobby.

Should be growing each week I think. Gonna try and get a little more mixing going this upcoming week. Maybe some games of the Resistance!



Have you played The Resistance: Avalon? We played twice at ROBA on Saturday and it was a blast! I like the character additions for the variants they bring.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmayDET wrote:
blakstar wrote:
kickassdude wrote:
Good turnout! 5 player settlers, For Sale, Cards Against Humanity, Chess, Backgammon, and Caylus were getting played. Tony brought a ton of games for anyone to use. Good service, nice patio area and a great beverage selection. Can't wait to see what the next weeks will look like.


Yes, a few different Catans ended up going off with a few new players in each group. Catan, I'd imagine, will be popular at the events just based on the momentum it received this week. It certainly deserves its due as a great gateway to the hobby.

Should be growing each week I think. Gonna try and get a little more mixing going this upcoming week. Maybe some games of the Resistance!



Have you played The Resistance: Avalon? We played twice at ROBA on Saturday and it was a blast! I like the character additions for the variants they bring.


I haven't played the Avalon version yet, although I do have The Resistance: Merlin/Assassin Promo and will probably get in on the current kickstarter to grab the remaining Avalon roles and some new stuff!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping I get my traded-for copy of Chicago Express before tomorrow... whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.