Subject: Would this game meet my tastes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
This game looks interesting to me, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm worried that after the drafting phase is over there won't be interesting decisions to make. I don't want to feel like I'm on "auto-pilot."

I'm concerned this game might fall flat for me the way "Sentinels of the Multiverse" did. I was ready to love "Sentinels", but I ended up hating it because every decision felt either blatantly obvious or completely irrelevant. I'm afraid of this game ending up the same way.

For those of you who like this game, can you give me some examples of interesting game decisions or situations that occur during the questing phase?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes, if a monster can't hurt you and that same monster is dangerous to somebody else, you want to leave the monster alive and pass it to that other player. You also have to consider the opposite - if an opponent holds a monster that will ruin your day, it might be better for you to leave your monster alive so you don't end up with it.

There are also some decisions to make in whether or not to use your mana or exhaust your cards at various time. For example, using the power now might save me from taking 2 damage. If I wait, I may be able to use it to prevent even more damage than that, but if I don't use it now I may not get another chance at all.

The largest problem in this game is that it is very hard to catch up if you get to a poor start. The game is very punishing and there is usually a wide gap between scores. If you are okay with that, then it's a pretty good game.

There is also a lot you can change with the game to make it work better, by changing how gold is distributed, reducing penalties for being defeated, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
OP, try playing Sentinels on Steam or Android. It plays as a single player game where you control the 4 heroes yourself. For me, THAT is the way Sentinels is meant to played and the entire game comes together in a much better, far more tactical way than it ever did as multiplayer experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.