Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
So last night a friend of mine brought over his copy of Lost Legends, and 3 of us sat down to play it. I had no idea what type of game it was, only that it had a fantasy setting and was created by the guy who made Thunderstone, which is a favorite of mine.

Anyway, my friend had only played 2/3rds of a game previously, so he and the other two of us were reading rules/learning as we went along.

Often times a game will start to "click" as somebody reads through the rules or explains a game, but this particular game just wasn't clicking at all.

Eventually we got through 30 minutes of rules reading/explanation and started to play. I was setup for a major fall from the start because I was convinced I wasn't able to equip any cards unless I first had a skill for that card. I was playing the rogue/thief character, which starts with Melee and Ranged, so I didn't have the shield/armor skill. I assumed I needed to use a card as the armor skill before I could equip armor. Well, I ended getting some weapons first, and ended the equip phase of round 1 without any armor at all.

In the combat phase of round 1, I managed to kill a single zombie before dying, netting me a single legend point. I died shortly afterwards, and had to sit out for a few minutes while my friends finished up the monsters.

Round 2 starts, and halfway through the equip phase I discover that I can equip armor without having an armor skill, but I've already used the only armor card I've seen to gain the skill for it. No other armor cards show up, so I again, have no armor. When the combat phase begun, I managed to kill a single enemy before dying, but one of my friends already had 3 animal kills at that point, so I didn't get any trophies or points. I died promptly after that.

Round 3 finally comes along, and I buy armor like it's on clearance at K-Mart. Turns out, I finally can survive a bit of damage, except that I'm still only level 2 and have no HP. I end up dying from the chaos splash damage of the monsters my friends are fighting before I can defeat a single enemy.

So now the game ends. I have a whole 1 point, and my friends end at 69 and 55 points. I dare say this is the worst I've ever faired at a board game before, unless I count those times when I ended in the negative 60's in Lost Cities.

Seeing as I played the game wrong for half of it, I do want to give it another shot, but I'm afraid this has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
You must have been playing something else horribly wrong too. I usually only draft a chestpiece for armor and do fine. The most important thing is upgrading your weapons, and having a backup weapon in case your primary is null or halved. With a 3 player game you should be getting money every kill, regardless of who killed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have definitely seen people win with next to no armor at all and relying on dishing out the damage fast and furious. And I've also seen people "die" on the first level only to rally and win the game on the next two levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
You must have been playing something else horribly wrong too. I usually only draft a chestpiece for armor and do fine. The most important thing is upgrading your weapons, and having a backup weapon in case your primary is null or halved. With a 3 player game you should be getting money every kill, regardless of who killed it.

It's quite possible. I may have to read through the rulebook here on BGG and see if my group was doing anything horribly wrong. The game seemed brutal for everybody. In round 2, everybody was killed, same with round 3. For me, my HP was 3, and most enemies did 2-4 damage every attack. In Round 3 when I had armor, I could block up to 6 melee, 3 ranged, and 3 magic, but chaos damage still chipped away at my health, and I died before I could kill anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play it again now that you understand the rules better. It really is an interesting game. I try to draft to absorb hit points, or get them back, plus buy stronger attack weapons to do greater damage. I have won once with my family, came close 2 other times. Got the game at Origins this year at the Queen Games booth. One of my better purchases at the Con, as it is asked for often by my family on game nights.

Edited for spelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished reading through the rules PDF and I believe the only mistake I made was thinking I needed a skill before I equipped any cards of that type. I ended up with a ton of skills and very little equipment, because I usually had no choice but to make something into a skill since I didn't think I could equip without skills.

I had no trinkets, no armor, two weapons, and I believe 1 scroll for round 1. The scroll let me look at 3 monsters and pick one, so it didn't do anything to mitigate damage.

I'll have to see if I can play it again soon while it's still fresh in my mind.

Thanks for the comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.