Subject: XP and Gold rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Mc
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I think resorting to pen and paper to record xp and gold sounds like a failure of imagination. Are there other solutions that could be devised, a pegboard or slide-rule of some kind? It's all about the ridiculous excess for me. Once I've got out a pencil and paper I'm probably forced to admit that the wound and sanity tokens aren't very convenient, and the next thing you know half the stuff is back in the box and I'm staring at a grubby piece of notebook paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use Fortune and Glory tokens, but I suppose the totals need to be kept from one game to the next and something will have to be written down.

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Mc
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Written record-keeping btw games is no problem. It's the "running tally" element that has offended my fussiness. I'll look into Fortune & Glory tokens, but a player aid with two sliders would be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will probably use poker chips
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use poker chips for Britannia and other such games. You could also use wounds/investigation markers from A Touch of Evil, or dice, or the coloured stones used for Magic the Gathering.

Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
___Shetland pony___ ___extra pepperoni___
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pencil and paper is a beautiful thing, and perfectly suits the roleplay elements offered in the game. Retro style is great, I love to pinp games as much as the next man. But I am glad to see this in a sea of BOARD games that are turning into Acrylic token games with ios tracker character sheet dice roll apps shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Jelley wrote:
You could use Fortune and Glory tokens, but I suppose the totals need to be kept from one game to the next and something will have to be written down.

Phil

Maybe keep them in separate baggies for each character?
I think the issue will be that there is a lot of other stuff to write down as well though, like new skills and items and mutations and such. If it is really like Warhammer Quest as they've suggested, there will be a fair bit of character sheet activity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Philip Jelley wrote:

Phil

Maybe keep them in separate baggies for each character?
I think the issue will be that there is a lot of other stuff to write down as well though, like new skills and items and mutations and such. If it is really like Warhammer Quest as they've suggested, there will be a fair bit of character sheet activity.

then we will just need character sheets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:

If they do not include character sheets (in the box or as a pdf), I will definitely be designing and printing out my own!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

If they do not include character sheets (in the box or as a pdf), I will definitely be designing and printing out my own!

fantastic. please post them if you do! I have made character sheets before but the ones other people do always turn out better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the Kickstarter optional extras, there's a character sheet pad. They added it in the last few minutes of the campaign, and never added it to the webpage itself, but... this was from the comments page on the Kickstarter:

"Hey Guys, Last 12 minutes! I just wanted to announce that, though we don't have time to do the art before the KS ends, we will be adding Pads of printed Blank HERO Character Sheets as a green non-Mine Cart Add-On in the Pledge Manager. They will be pads of 40 blank character sheets for $10. Anyone who is interested in these can add to your pledge now with that knowledge in mind!! -Jason"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gavindowning wrote:
Among the Kickstarter optional extras, there's a character sheet pad. They added it in the last few minutes of the campaign, and never added it to the webpage itself, but... this was from the comments page on the Kickstarter:

"Hey Guys, Last 12 minutes! I just wanted to announce that, though we don't have time to do the art before the KS ends, we will be adding Pads of printed Blank HERO Character Sheets as a green non-Mine Cart Add-On in the Pledge Manager. They will be pads of 40 blank character sheets for $10. Anyone who is interested in these can add to your pledge now with that knowledge in mind!! -Jason"

thanks I had forgotten that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Mc
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
hans4rd wrote:
Pencil and paper is a beautiful thing, and perfectly suits the roleplay elements offered in the game. Retro style is great, I love to pinp games as much as the next man. But I am glad to see this in a sea of BOARD games that are turning into Acrylic token games with ios tracker character sheet dice roll apps shake

I see your point, and can come around to this thinking. I may get one of those slender Moleskine notebooks and dedicate it entirely to one character. But there is a certain inelegance in keeping some records in token form and some on a scratch pad, and it bugs me. It's like having power windows on three of the four doors of yr car.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Densmc wrote:
hans4rd wrote:

I see your point, and can come around to this thinking. I may get one of those slender Moleskine notebooks and dedicate it entirely to one character. But there is a certain inelegance in keeping some records in token form and some on a scratch pad, and it bugs me. It's like having power windows on three of the four doors of yr car.

the way I see it is tokens are for keeping track of things during the game, pencil and paper are for anything that needs to be kept track of between games. that's my thoughts anyway. although I still may use poker chips for money and exp not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Hull
msg tools
I just found this thread because I'm in the middle of a solo game and I'm worrying about XP and gold for the first time (my previous games have just been a single mission). I instantly found I was losing track of XP. I initially thought that just keeping the cards that give XP and tallying it up at the end would work, but then realised things like killing enemies gave XP.

My quick fix? Dice. I'm using 4 spare D6s of 2 different colours (red and black) per character. It's not perfect but it is what I have at hand right now. The black dice count as 10s (I need 2 for when I go over 60XP) and the red for 100s (again 2 in case I get over 600XP, but I'm not sure if this'll happen yet). For example, at the moment I'm on 120XP, so I have 1 red D6 showing '1' and one black D6 showing '2'. I'll need to record my total XP somewhere at the end of the mission, probably as a note on my phone.

D10s would obviously work better for this method, so I might invest in a few of those. Though I'm also thinking that tokens would work: a pool of tokens representing 10XP, 50XP and 100XP should be good, which makes me wonder why these weren't included.

As for gold, simply keeping the cards that have given me gold seems to be working so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Gray
United States
Brookfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
[1] We pool our gold and XP.
[2] We have a quartermaster (it is my understanding this was traditionally the cook).
[3] We use a clipboard.
[4] I made a document with check-boxes on it. Each checkbox is $5 or 5XP. The top page is one, and the bottom is another.
[5] We disperse $ and XP evenly in full 5-point allotments (remainders stay in the bank).

Something like this.
$100 OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO
$200 OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO
$300 OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO
$400 OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO
$500 OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO

100 XP OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO
200 XP OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO
300 XP OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO
400 XP OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO
500 XP OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO|OOOOO

It would be neat to give the quatermaster / cook some in game benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb

I designed some Gold cards and XP cards to keep track of them. Works great for us! Both are available as print-ready images or purchasable decks on Printer Studio!

The First Bank of Brimstone is issuing a new run of Gold Certificates!

Be a Real Hero™, use XP Cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.