David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a chance to do some play testing for the Hunter module of the upcoming Resistance expansion, and let me tell you, it really changes the game. I wasn’t a big fan of normal Resistance, I much preferred Avalon due to the variety. This expansion adds that kind of variety to Resistance. Spies have an extra element of duplicity, especially the spy chief. He doesn’t want to do anything to be suspicious, but he still has to try to get missions to fail. Except you don’t have to get missions to fail as a spy, because of the hunter mechanic. The hunter mechanic really prevents the quick end game, either 3 successes or 3 fails in a row, because after that third mission success for your side, the hunter must reveal himself to take a shot at the other side’s leader (called the Chief in the game). If they’re right (not super likely) then they get the win they deserve. If they’re wrong, the mission goes to the other side, and the game keeps going.

The investigation aspect of the game really changes how you vote. You may like the team going on a mission, but not like the leader, or not like the person with the investigation card. There’s a lot more politicking in terms of who you trust to send missions, and who you want having the power to investigate should things fail.

I know that this expansion has been thoroughly tested, and has been through several revisions which is a great thing. Travis and everyone at Indie Boards and Cards wanted to get this right, and my entire play group feels like they have. This expansion does remove some of the simplicity of Resistance, but the loss of simplicity is replaced by a game with a lot more intrigue that still plays in essentially the same time.

So, if you’re looking for something that adds some complexity to Resistance while still maintaing the heart of Resistance, then this expansion is for you. If you weren’t a fan of Resistance to begin with because it was too hard to know anything, then this just might help change your mind. And if you’re like me, and you love Avalon, then this expansion gives you something different but still a similar vibe.

I know I’m biased, but this expansion is certainly worth looking at. Though please, don’t throw it at new gamers, ease them in to Resistance first (at least one learning game) then go for the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.