Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I have to say I love the series and I got all 3 games (I hope we go East one day!).

I'm playing the series as solo, as well as with my friend on-line. I don't have enough time to play on-line that much (1 - 2 hours per week) so playing solo is going to be significant for me.

I was thinking about how could I improve the solo experience for me. And I think I got the answer that would work for me.

I would need to modify the command rules. Just because chain of command is working fine (game rules perspective) doesn't mean I get to do what I want with every single unit in a scenario for both sides, in the morning, in the afternoon and at night for every single turn.

How about something like this (thinking out loud):

1) Don't allow certain formations/units to be able to go Prepared Assault mode. This would have to scale with scenario size (example if in a scenario there is one division vs another division, the rules would have to be different from Corps vs Korps etc...)

2) Not allowing some formations/units to be able to go on attack in the morning/afternoon (I don't play with night turns...every soldier deserves a rest!)

Choice #1 or Choice #2 or combination of both ?

I don't have the details worked out yet. This optional solo command would add that entertaining factor of not knowing into the equation when playing solo.

This solo command rule can't have drastic impact on the scenario on historical aspect or balance aspect of a scenario.

Mr. Joe Youst, or others...what do you guys think ?

Thanks

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
tying this in with supply or ADV levels would be good too. Maybe a more randomized allotment of how many PA's you can make vs ADV levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyoust wrote:
tying this in with supply or ADV levels would be good too. Maybe a more randomized allotment of how many PA's you can make vs ADV levels.

Hi Joe,

I thought about this solo command rule further today and thought of the following:

Every morning of a new GT, a Formation HQ would need to perform Proficiency Check, if it passes then all units assigned to a Formation HQ can then perform Tactical or PA modes for Grand Assault. If the Formation HQ fails PC then for the morning part of the GT, units assigned to this Formation HQ can only do tactical mode for Grand Assault (meaning no PA mode). If a Formation HQ fails PC in the morning then in the afternoon of GA, when it checks for PC it get's -1DRM to make it easier to pass PC.

Purpose being that a Formation HQ may not necessarily be fully committed in the morning (communication device malfunction/destroyed, miscommunication between HQs etc), could be a bit delayed for the afternoon operations.

Now adding support for Supplies and ADV into this rule would be cool but I have no idea how that would work since I don't play with supplies, ammo and fuel just yet.

what do you think Joe ?

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Barker
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey that sounds pretty good. Could do what some of the miniature games do - use variable orders by rolling a number of dice. Could still use proficiency check. If passes maybe add 1d6 to your other roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars W
msg tools
mbmbmb
Another variant could be to have a "one GT for both sides" approach.

I am thinking in the line of what CoA has done with their BAOR games here. Activate commands one at a time, jumping between sides.

First do a common admin phase(AM) before rolling two colored dice to see which side goes first (with some DRM for having the initiative. If you roll more than 2 x the number of your opponent, you can activate up to a specific corps, otherwise a div or an independent bde, or part of a div.

You can have a set no of activations per side allowed (depending on operational restrictions or advantages one side or the other may have).

You then move that command with the same rules as currently (first strat road, then tac road etc). After that you conduct combat with that formation only.

I will try this one out in my next HH or WaR session (currently doing AW, UK beaches scenario).

I found this system making the BAOR games very playable from a solitaire POV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.