Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of what characterized Attack Wing is the time it takes to play a game. That combined with the small board lends it almost a ritual sense, as though each game is a quick tactical exercise at Starfleet academy. There is nothing bad about this.

However, my limited games of XWing Miniatures and it's relentless 6 asteroids makes me wonder if we should think about more ways to vary the game to give it some increased dimension. This isn't because I've "mastered" the game, quite the contrary, but variation might see different sides of the game and pick up a few insights about it, and it might keep the game fresh.

I'd say the OP scenarios are one way to do that, but I'm concerned about the mountain of special rules they introduce and all the rulings for special cases those special rules produce.

I have a few ideas, which aren't "new" ideas so much as bits of my gaming history from other games. These aren't intended to be substitutes for how the system works now, just ideas for one off games which might be fun to play. I thought I'd start the discussion off by listing a couple and hope that others have even better ideas.

There is the larger board. I'm thinking that a couple of ships such as Voyager and Excelsior (with transwarp) could really come into their own with slashing attacks that allow them to whiz by their opponents (even if they have fast turnabouts) so they could extend out of range and come back for another pass.

There is the larger point game which has the potential for larger squadrons that might feel more epic and allow some combinations we haven't seen like a real galaxy wing or the use of some cards not considered optimal, but needed because all the cards you usually play are already on another ship. There might be some fun in this.

Anyway how would you shake things up to provide the occasional different learning experience? Or you might consider things to be perfect the way they are, in which case feel free to say so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Arvada
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I really like all the different scenarios--OP Event and the ones that come in each expansion pack. With all of those scenarios I think I have enough different things to do with this game to last decades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyatt Smith
United States
North Platte
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did like the 120 squadron from the first collective match, felt nice to have a bit more than 100 but not really too big. I did not care for the special rules of the match, interesting for the one event but I will not play again.

Anyway, I too have been curious how a larger map would affect the game, especially for faster ships. A larger map would also really be required if one went much bigger than the 100/120 squads we have seen so for for OP events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done several big-point (200, 250, even 300) battles, and they were a ton of fun. It's really cool to be thinking "okay, these ships here are going to go engage the Klingons while this group heads that way to intercept the Federation"... you get a nice big battle feel to it.

Another cool thing (as you mention) is getting more use out of upgrade cards you don't normally play, including Captains. And ships too! The Battleship does fantastic in big battles, because there's always something to target, so it's poor maneuverability is never an issue. I also have a friend who's quite good at formation flying, and watching him bring a line of ships into formation is impressive.

Set-up takes much longer though, as there's that many more ships to build. Also, I have found a few times that, if the initial pass goes really well for one side (or poorly, depending on your perspective), it can become quite clear that the battle is effectively over. Not necessarily a bad thing, just keep in mind that "bigger" doesn't necessarily mean "longer".

In terms of a bigger play area, I once extended the table we were playing on so that it was something like 3' wide by 3'8" long, but we played lengthwise so that the only difference was that it took longer for our fleets to reach one another. If you don't have the ability to increase both dimensions, then playing across the width would be a much better option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play games on a 36"x36" field. What about 48"x48" field? Or a 48" diameter circular field? Or hexagon 36" from side to opposing side with a variable entry hex side for each force?

Or mix up and flop cards until each player has 200pts worth of "stuff" and build opposing forces of 100–120pts out of that.

Lots of little, simple things folks can try to keep their matches fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 6'x4' mat. At 200 pts./side, it's too big. But, a couple of friends and I are thinking of doing some at 3-500. Pure faction. Yes, we can do that with at least one faction each. I'll probably run some 6 player at 300/player at a local con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
I've always played on a board at least 4'x4'. I prefer the larger boards myself because ships with 4 or 5 maneuvers can make use of them, and ships like the Galor-class that rely on bank maneuvers instead of turns don't run the risk of flying off the board.

The only downside to the bigger boards has been when it's down to single-ship combat. There's often prolonged cat-and-mouse chasing, or several turns of banking maneuvers and no shots getting fired. However, for ships that have limited maneuverability and need to bank if they want to avoid auxiliary power, the larger boards are worth it.

For me, the biggest problem with Attack Wing is the length of time for cleanup. Rather than leave all the tokens in a bin and return them or pick them each time we need them, my friends and I typically set out all the tokens we need beside our ship cards. At the end of the game however there are so many tokens needing to be put away, along with all the ships and cards. I just wish cleanup and put away could take less time. Sure, I could leave all the tokens in a bin and pick up/put away as needed, but I always felt it would be more tedious to constantly have to grab and put away tokens from a bin than to just have them all out by the ship cards. Maybe I'll try it this way though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.