Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4937
Quote:

Forgotten Souls, a cooperative adventure for Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition, is now available via FFG’s in-house manufacturing!

Previously announced in January for Organized Play, Forgotten Souls is a new cooperative adventure, allowing up to four heroes to play a fully cooperative variant of Descent: Journeys in the Dark. In a normal game of Descent, one player takes the role of overlord, commanding monsters and the forces of evil in the game. Up to four players combat the power of the overlord by playing heroes who gain experience and new items over the course of a campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Looks like the rulebook is via download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
MSRP seems reasonable at $14.95

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you need the special release Game Night Kit to play this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
does it only use monsters from vanilla second edition? i hope they make more with all of the monsters as i own everything for this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i just bought it anyway. i will have all the details soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebobymon wrote:

sounds like you need Descent 2nd edition to play it. it's just co-op 4 players no overlord
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thebobymon wrote:

This basically IS the game night kit, just the "retail" version (though not exactly retail). And I second that $15 is pretty reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All you need is Descent base game. The Game Night Kit is this plus rules and some promotional items (translucent blue dice, acrylic health tokens, card stock player sheets). This will come with 10 monster activation cards, 12 encounter cards (that tell you what room to place), 10 peril cards (that push you forward when you don't have an active encounter), and a loot/doom/fate tracker. Everything else you need is in the base game.

Mr Skeletor wrote:
Looks like the rulebook is via download.

I know Frank knows this because he did video of the GNK, but for those that don't, the rulebook is mandatory. The back of it is the quest guide and tells you what rooms to layout and how to populate them based on the encounter card you drew. It won't be enough to just read the rules and memorize how to play. Plan to print them or have them on a mobile device while you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Oh I forgot it had the rooms in the rulebook. So it's not just a matter of printing the rules once to be able to play every co-op adventure they release. .
That's a bit sucky to be honest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Oh I forgot it had the rooms in the rulebook. So it's not just a matter of printing the rules once to be able to play every co-op adventure they release. .

It's possible they put a small booklet of rooms in this release. If memory serves, there was some dead space in the clamshell packaging. That would make life much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

I don't know, for a POD, this sort of short-cut doesn't seem unreasonable. We don't really know what it costs them to print everything or how they price the product (not that I'm aware of anyway); adding the rules could have caused a less-than-reasonable increase in cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

I don't know, for a POD, this sort of short-cut doesn't seem unreasonable. We don't really know what it costs them to print everything or how they price the product (not that I'm aware of anyway); adding the rules could have caused a less-than-reasonable increase in cost.

I have no fore knowledge of FFGs margins, but the GMK itself was $25 and had four dice, rules, 8 card stock half sheets, and four sets of 14 acrylic health tokens beyond what comes in this. Plus larger packaging. At a $10 difference, it seems reasonable that they could fit the booklet of rooms in there and stay under cost. But this is pure speculation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Montag451 wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

I have no fore knowledge of FFGs margins, but the GMK itself was $25 and had four dice, rules, 8 card stock half sheets, and four sets of 14 acrylic health tokens beyond what comes in this. Plus larger packaging. At a $10 difference, it seems reasonable that they could fit the booklet of rooms in there and stay under cost. But this is pure speculation.

But did they print the GNK themselves or was it manufactured through other means? If they did print it themselves, I could see your point, but otherwise their own in-house printing is presumably very different, and depending on the components needed, could be more costly. But it's a lot of speculation really; we don't actually have much information about their in-house printing outside of what products have been made available using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's not really case of putting the rules in the box. Everyone is (probably) fine with printing those once and having them for every future co-op quest.

Having to print room setup every time new expansion comes out is a bit of hassle, especially if you want them in color, and like me, don't have color printer. Having them in black and white will make determining which monster is master and which is not quite tricky.

Room setup instructions take about 4 pages. They could put 2 A4 sheets of paper, folded like instructions for Lieutenant packs and print the instructions there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone from europe (specifically Germany) ever purchased an english POD and knows which way is the best to do it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Simoni
Belgium
Diegem
Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
Has anyone from europe (specifically Germany) ever purchased an english POD and knows which way is the best to do it?

I was about to ask the same question (for Belgium though).

I bought all the stuff I own (everything except monsters collection boxes) on amazon.fr but I am not sure whether amazon will have the POD too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with the Mansions of Madness PoDs is to either wait about 3-4 months for my preferred online retailer to stock it and pay normal retail price, or to order it from the FFG website, receive it within 3-4 weeks but pay about 33% more (due to the shipping somehow costing more than the product itself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:

Funny in that I was thinking it was a little pricey for what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G N
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have an idea if this will be the Co-Op adventure that Fantasy Flight is running at GenCon in their Co-Op events? I am kind of assuming it is but just curious if anyone knows for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:
sdrewthomson wrote:

Funny in that I was thinking it was a little pricey for what it is.

I agree. $15 for 32 cards is not a good deal, but all of the FFG POD stuff is this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keldar Ironshield
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
The shipping was 10$ for me. That seems way to high. I still got it though haha.

Curious, with the threat counters and such do you think this will be able to be used to play other quests and expansions in coop mode or will it only work with the specific campaign it comes with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Kopet
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that it would be compatible with the other co-op campaign, but I guess we wont see until the FLGS has it for game night. Yay for more duplicate game pieces that I can't bring myself to throw away (I'm looking at you fortune tokens- all 120 of ya).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Markham
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait...this is the official way to play without an Overlord, with fully automated monsters? So like...I can play solo now, controlling 2 heroes?

...I think I'm in trouble, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the non-main encounters might be interchangeable between co-op campaigns, maybe...? Though there may be interactions with the monster AI cards that prevent this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.