Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just opened my new copy of this game and was hoping if someone can share what the average game length is for the first few scenarios. Is it really two hours? And does the game length significantly change from 2 players to 5 players? Typically I would be playing with at least 1 or 2 players who are already familiar with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First Blood(first quest) takes about 30 minutes first time you play it, and next time many people just skip it It won't be long anyway.

Other than that the quests with 2 encounters, so pretty much each and every one of first act quests can take anywhere from 1 to 4 hours. It mainly depends on your players.

You see, those quests are short, and normally shouldn't take more than 90-120 minutes. This game puts people into very competitive mood. Heroes tend to discuss and optimize their movements for long time. Some overlord also take good time optimizing. Those discussions and thinking about next move in some groups can easily make one quest last 3-4 hours.

So... it depends on your group.

Oh, and if they are going to discuss, they will discuss regardless of whenever you have 2 or 4 players.

Final advice, regardless of number of players don't play with just 2 heroes. It doesn't scale well. Make someone play more than 1 hero and play at least with 3 heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it best with 3 players (2 heroes and 1 OL) that it works best when each hero player each plays 2 guys and they have one of each subtype. Usually one player plays the tank and mage while the other places the healer and scout so that each player gets a "DPS" and "healer/tank" class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
From my experience: packing a unpacking 60 minutes. Explaining rules to players 90 minutes. First blood played 60 minutes (including discussions about rules players did not get). We were 4 players. So something about 3 hours.

The 30 minutes on the First blood is the pure gameplay for a group, that knows Descent well. The packing and unpacking remains all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Packing and unpacking doesn't take nearly 60 minutes if you have things well organized. Have your players read the rules ahead of time. They're on FFG's site, or there's condensed sheets like Universal Head's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, if you toss everything randomly into a box then unpacking will take a hour or even more. But just basic organization makes it work much faster. First blood barely has any tiles, and if you have them ordered it takes no more than few minutes to set up. Just have tokens in separate place, keep monsters in string bags, with each group in separate bag.

I have every existing monster group and still can find my monsters quickly, but that is what takes most setup time.

I don't know people who wouldn't get mindlessly bored from explaining rules for 90 minutes. I... don't think reading the rulebook took nearly that much time. I just explain things during First Blood, as they go, so they catch up within first 2 rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I have all monsters in a box, but Alex has a new copy so it is unlikely he has his game content well organized. Even with this 30 minutes unpacking cards and asigning tokens and 30 minutes sorting them to the proper boxes are minimum. Those two take the hour I mentioned for packing and unpacking.

Try to measure time next time you prepare the game and let me know, if you are significantly faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never in my life I unboxed the game and sorted the tokens from new game when players were at my house. I always do it at least night before, read the rules, play 1 game solo to find as many potential rule questions I might have and find answer online. Not for I second I considered adding time for that to first game time estimation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.