Space Alert: The New Frontier» Forums » Variants

Subject: Green Threats! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
Given my crews propensity for dying, I wanted to add some "helpful" threats to the deck of potential threats.

Serious Green Threat. Alien Artifact; heavy lasers fired at this threat are reflected into the other two zones, striking any threat at the same distance in those zones. Can only be targeted by rockets. 3 speed. 3 hit points. It's Z action destroys ship.

Green Common Threat. Ionic Cloud; Gives +1 shield to all external threats. Can only be targeted by pulse cannon. 3 speed. 2 hit points. Z action gives +1 shield to each zone of the ship.

Serious Green Threat. Spacial Rift; Spans all zones. Threats behind it cannot be targeted. Threats behind it cannot target ship. Cannot be destroyed. Disappears when crossing Z.

Green Common Internal Threat. Reactor Spike. Cannot refill central reactor. Z action gives one extra energy canister. Must press B twice in central reactor to eliminate threat. 4 speed.

Serious Green Internal Threat. Nuclear Warheads. Rockets fired do two extra damage and use one energy. If no energy available, rockets do no damage. Z action destroys ship in a nuclear fireball if any rockets remain inboard. 3 Speed. Cannot be destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of threats that have some potential benefit but also cause harm.

I do think the Spacial Rift could easily produce an unwinnable scenario in conjunction with the Kamikaze or Behemoth or other threat with a devastating Z action (if that second threat basically rides behind the rift until just before Z). If you're going to do it, give it speed 5 or even 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Weber
Germany
Wöllstein
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea. Could be useful in simulated missions like the “continuation course” I have planned (to get players who haven't played in a while back into the game).

However, the color seems like a bad idea. When I read “green threats”, my immediate association is internal threats. How about blue threats?

An easy way to handle scoring would be to make these threats give no points. They wouldn't be allowed in real missions anyway (at least not in the ruleset under which I play), and it would make balancing the score values for indestructible threats a moot point. On the other hand, giving them a score value of 1/2 (2/4 or 2/- for serious threats) would line up well with the established threat values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.