Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jed Rasmussen
United States
Ephraim
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I don't normally buy expansions, but I am wondering if anyone out there could tell me if they think the expansions add to the game or if the base game is just fine? I have looked for expansions, and I can only find the 4th expansion. Just for reference, I have not yet purchased CoB, but will do so shortly.

Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
They aren't necessary at all! But if they are available to you cheaply (like the 4th expansion available in the BGG store) I would recommend getting it. Variety is the spice of life as they say!!

http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/castles-of-burgundy-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really doesn't need any expansions at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played over 70x without any expansions and it plays just fine. I don't think the expansions are necessary. With that said, I wouldn't mind the first expansion which is additional player boards, if I could find it.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I quite like the second expansion tiles but none of the mini expansions are really necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, some games just scream "I need an expansion." This really isn't one of them. Unless you're going to be playing this game a ton I wouldn't worry about expansions. Highly recommend the base game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the variety of the additional boards. Don't really care about the tile mini expansions though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Additional player boards are all I need; I own the mini-tile expansion and prefer to play without it; same for the fourth expansion—we use it for the additional boards but not the additional rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Additional player boards are all I need; I own the mini-tile expansion and prefer to play without it; same for the fourth expansion—we use it for the additional boards but not the additional rules.

Agreed re: additional boards. Nice to have, but we don't bother with the additional rules. This is definitely an "expansions not necessary" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Vickers
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with the posters here so far. The variability you get with the player boards in the base game is plenty. The varying strategies that arise with players playing on different boards really stems from "Where did they put their castle compared to myself?", "Their initial castle is closer to lots of ship spaces than mine, so maybe I won't go hard on ships, and focus on something else" etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like having the extra boards. I have not even added in the tiles.

But, you don't need to have them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using 2 and 4, and yeah, they're unnecessary.

Expansion 2 is kinda bizarre -- the wildcards are basically instabuys, which is a bit out of place.

I like expansion 4 though, it's a bit different.

But yeah, the game definitely does not need expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the second expansion (the four extra tiles), but only because they caught my eye on eBay for next to nothing and shipping was free. It's nice to have them, but you can certainly play without them - they don't even turn up in most games anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Rasmussen
United States
Ephraim
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I had no idea that people had answered my question! I just assumed that I would receive an alert when someone responded. I guess I should subscribe to the thread to have that happen!

So sorry for the delay in responding! Thank you for your answers. After having played CoB for a while now, I am fine the way that it is. I did seem to find something on some CoB thread that a new board has been made with new player boards but it is not available in the states as of yet.

Anyway, thanks again! I am still trying to get used to BGG and all of the intricacies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jedrasy wrote:
I had no idea that people had answered my question! I just assumed that I would receive an alert when someone responded. I guess I should subscribe to the thread to have that happen!

If you mouseover "My geek" at the top of the page, and click on "Subscriptions", then click on "Preferences", you'll get loads of options which include automatically subscribing you to a thread when you post in it. Very useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.