Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the old HTTR decades ago and just got this version. I've set up the British 1st Airborne scenario and am wondering if I'm doing things right. First, is Response Movement two hexes for leg and four for vehicles? It seems to suggest that in the sequence of play, but unless I missed it there doesn't seem to be a designated paragraph anywhere else in the movement rules on the subject.

If that is the case, how is any unit of the British IAB supposed to get to the bridge in Arnhem before the German SS units that start near Arnhem do? I do realize that the Germans are confined to defilade mode for the first few turns, but with a couple of response movements and even one hex in their regular movement they're going to get their first and the British will have a tough fight on their hands. I know about Frost's special movement, but if you pull back the SS units that start in the woods you can block road access and he can't get around them. I figure either I'm doing something wrong (maybe the response movement) or the British are supposed to fight their way to the bridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt I have PDF of new rules here at work. Other than the SoP the only other place I see response movement mentioned is on pg 14, section 8.0, second column end of first paragraph. There it simply mentions that Response Movement Phase severely restricts unit movement.

I can't remember off the top of my head how close German units start to the bridge and if they can reach it before the Brits recon or 1 inf co does. If you find that is the case I would be inclined to house rule the initial German move by either freezing them (command confusion by surprise airdrop). Or not allowing occupation of Arnhem ( they didn't know the bridge was the objective right away, hindsight allowing German to respond to information they didn't have historically). So house rule it toward realism then move on. Don't let it hang you up and stall your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, yes I've asked this on CSW and Response Movement seems to be kind of an "assumed" thing, but I can't find any section of rules that actually cover it. The SOP mentions it and there are a few mentions here and there, but nothing hard and fast, unless I'm blind (good possibility as I'm in my fifties now!).

I agree that I'm not going to let this ruin the game, but I've run some simulations and the Germans can get there first (to the bridge) most of the time. My guess is that is has to do with the SOP where the German Response Move comes before the British Conditional Move. Take away that or put in a house rule that there is no German Response Move the first two turns and it seems as if the problems are solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
The errata packet contains a change to rule 28.5 which states that the recon bn of 9SS that enters on GT2 may now enter during the conditional German move phase of GT1, but with half of its normal MA. This should get it over the bridge before Frost arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe, thanks for the quick answer. Can you clarify Response Movement? Naturally, the British !AB area is much different than the areas for the 82nd and the 101st as if the British don't get to the bridge then there's not much point in playing the game! At this time I'm thinking that if you say the Germans only get Conditional Movement on the North map on Turns 1 and 2 that would give the British every chance in the world to get at least a few counters to the bridge.

I should clarify that I'm not too concerned about Grabner's forces going across the map. Rather, the SS armored units that start on the road to Arnhem (not Grabner) can move pretty far with Response Movement plus probably around two turns of conditional movement (probably 6-7 hexes the first two turns) and Kraft's forces in the woods can block the British advance due to their Response Movement as well. Eliminate that on the first turn or 2 and the British have a great chance to get some forces into Arnhem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, look at the scenario rules for the British Abn scenario. It says the game starts with phase 8 of the turn which is the Allied conditional movement phase. So yes actually the British get a conditional move phase before any German units move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, actually I think the British land in the Conditional Movement Phase and then get two hexes of movement from their landing point. They'll get two more hexes in the Allied Response Movement in the German turn, then their full movement in the 2nd turn with Frost getting an extra 1D6 of MPs. It took me awhile to figure that out, but after flipping back and forth through the rules that's the way it looks. If things go right, Frost (and any units with him) could get to just outside the Arnhem bridge by the end of British movement in Turn 2 and certainly by Turn 3. My issue is the German Response Movement could prevent that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I think I solved the problem. Frost gets a special movement bonus, but there's nothing in the rules that says during which phases it could be used. I resolved to use it right off the bat when the British land and as long as the 1D6 comes up 4 or higher one of the units with Frost can peel off and get adjacent to the 4/16 SS in the woods. This forces it to move east and then west during it's conditional movement and response movement of the next British turn, which keeps the river road open. Frost will then get to Arnhem with a force and the game can then really begin.

Also, there really isn't much on Response Movement other than what's listed in the SOP. In the movement section of the rules they mention it, but it's like it was forgotten about and never included! I'm finding it hard to believe that some of these things haven't come up before, but I can find no mention of them on any forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.