Response: After a location is explroed, ready Idraen

Rivendell Scout
Leadership Ally: Noldor, Scout
2 cost, 1 willpower, 1 attack, 0 defense, 2 hitpoints
Secrecy 2

Feigned Voices
Leadership Event
0 cost
Combat Action: Return a Silvan ally you control to your hand to choose an enemy engaged with a player. That enemy cannot attack that player this phase.

Rumil
Tactics Ally: Silvan, Scout, Unique
4 cost, 2 willpower, 2 attack 1 defense, 1 hitpoint
Ranged. Response: After you play Rumil from your hand, choose an enemy engaged with a player. Deal X damage to that enemy where X is the number of ranged characters you control.

Elven Mail
Tactics Attachment: Item, Armor
2 cost
Attach to a Noldor or Silvan character. Restricted. Attached character gets +2 hitpoints and gains sentinel.

Greyflood Wanderer
Spirit Ally: Dunedain, Scout
3 cost, 2 willpower, 1 attack, 0 defense, 2 hitpoints
You may give Greyflood Wanderer doomed 2 when you play it from your hand. If you do, it gains: "Response: After you play Greyflood Wanderer, place 1 progress on each location in play."

Warden of Arnor
Spirit Attachment: Title, Unique
1 cost
Attach to a Scout hero. While attached character is committed to the quest, place 1 progress on the first location revealed by the encounter deck each round.

Message from Elrond
Lore Event
0 cost
Action: Choose a player. That player may choose 1 card from his hand and add it to another player's hand. At the end of the round, if the chosen card is in the player's hand or in play, shuffle it into its owner's deck.

Noiseless Movement
Lore Event
1 cost
Action: Choose an enemy in the staging area. That enemy does not make engagement checks this round. Then, if your threat is 20 or less and this is the first time you played a copy of Noiseless Movement this round, return this card to your hand instead of discarding it.

Leaf Brooch
Neutral Attachment: Item
1 cost
Attach to a hero. Limit 1 per hero. The first event card you play each round that matches the attached hero's printed sphere gains secrecy 1.

Edited: typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Love the secrecy love! It's getting more and more viable to run a Sneaky Hobbits deck with every pack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Feigned Voices is probably the strongest card here. A terrific gain for the Silvan decks; in a different way but just as great as The Tree People, it seems.

Idraen seems very strong. The one per round readying effect will usually be a guarantee. Spirit mono-Spirit seems to be coming back (quite unlike the other spheres). Remember the Spirit event partially spoiled in the Antlered Crown, it looks like it will exchange progress for direct damage to an enemy in the staging area (but still exploring the active location first): that just seems tailor-made for great questing decks.

Rivendell Scout seems intriguing but secrecy is still a no-no for me. The brooch is a terrible card, including the art.

Elven Mail is certainly good but for me Elladan and Elrohir have ever been the weakest decks I have made. Perhaps this one will change it? I wish...

Rúmil does not seem as strong as Orophin. Looking forward to Haldir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
jpraibis wrote:

Elven Mail is certainly good but for me Elladan and Elrohir have ever been the weakest decks I have made. Perhaps this one will change it? I wish...

interesting, the strongest decks i've made lately include the elf brothers (well, strongest multiplayer decks, we each have 1 of them...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interesting. I would probably not do that. Even if I make a deck for multiplayer, I build it so that it can cooperate with different decks, not just one.

Have you made a really good deck featuring both Brothers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:
Interesting. I would probably not do that. Even if I make a deck for multiplayer, I build it so that it can cooperate with different decks, not just one.

I'm sure you have your reasons for building that way but it's one of the great aspects of this game. There's some really great synergies you can pull off if you build some decks to work together. A friend of mine and I build that way a lot.

I have built around the Elf Brothers both ways. Neither way was super great I felt. But it did seem to work out at least a lot better when one of them was in a teammate's deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of building decks to synergize with teammates, What's everyone think of Message From Elrond?

The first thing that comes to mind is obviously running Gildor so that I can get around the restriction and keep the card that is passed to me permanently. This still seems situational at best based on what's going on in the game and what is passed and why that player wanted to pass it.

Trying to think of the maximum usage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Elrond's Message is an odd duck. I like the idea, but when you pass that card, the person who receives still needs to have a sphere match to play it. I'm thinking that there are two or three cards coming down the pipe that will make that one make a bit more sense.

One idea that comes to mind would be using it to pass around Elrond's Council so that anyone with Spirit can drop their threat at any time, assuming they have a Noldor on the table. This makes EC sort of a "you have the card, I have the card, but you can't get it out of your deck right now" sort of emergency escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elrond Council does seem good with it.

I think it could be okay if we both run the same spheres, like I run 2 Spirit/1 Lore and you run 2 Lore/1 Spirit heroes and both run all of the good blue/green events and both run Elrond's Messages and then when either player is in a tight spot you basically have access to both player's events. I guess that's not terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
jpraibis wrote:

well, if you're only playing two player...it does cooperate with all decks.

also, who is going to complain when a sentinel elrohir is defending a bunch of times a round (for 3-4 players)?

~m

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct, Justin. It also wouldn't allow A Very Good Tale or Sneak Attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
Message from Elrond: Run dual outlands decks so you can have a player with 6 Ethir Swordsman?

Or more practically give someone a Gandalf that needs it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Delaric wrote:
Interesting that the wording on Rumil specifies "from your hand". Does that mean Elrond + Vilya from the top of your deck would not trigger the ability?

Or, more currently and thematically, The Tree People unfortunately...

I'm thinking of making a Lead/Spirit Silvan deck and a partner Lore/Tactics deck that focuses on ranged damage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Message from Elrond says if it is in the player's hand or in play, shuffle it into its owner's deck. Does that mean if you pass an ally and the second player plays the ally, it will be shuffled into the deck at the end of the round? So you only get the ally for one turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
So Message from Elrond says if it is in the player's hand or in play, shuffle it into its owner's deck. Does that mean if you pass an ally and the second player plays the ally, it will be shuffled into the deck at the end of the round? So you only get the ally for one turn?

Yes. Unless you do something funky like use Gildor Inglorion to put that card into your deck for a turn and then play it later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:

Yes. The restriction is specifically to prevent (or at least mitigate) the Outlands passing idea Sam suggested above. You could still gain the ally permanently if you receive it via Message from Elrond, then discard it using an effect like Protector of Lorien (or just let it die to an enemy attack), and then have some way to get it back into hand the next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then I am really struggling to see any practical use for Message From Elrond. The Gildor combo is way too much work to try and get a 4th copy of an ally/attachment into the same deck. Otherwise you are just trying to exchange an event or maybe Gandalf. Since you need to have a resource match anyway, why not just include a copy of the card in the 2nd deck to begin with?

Maybe it would be useful if one player has an abundance of resources and the other player is spent, but it all seems very situational for little gain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Message from Elrond, I really like the idea of passing an off-sphere ally to a friend, having him discard via Protector of Lorien or some such, and then using Stand and Fight to pay for the ally with Spirit resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatGuy wrote:
Re: Message from Elrond, I really like the idea of passing an off-sphere ally to a friend, having him discard via Protector of Lorien or some such, and then using Stand and Fight to pay for the ally with Spirit resources.

You can already use Stand and Fight from another player's discard pool, so what would be the point of passing the ally first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
The title of Message from Elrond points us to one way to use it. If you're playing Elrond it's no problem to run any sphere's allies so you could easily have one that that matches your partner's sphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
BeatGuy wrote:

You can already use Stand and Fight from another player's discard pool, so what would be the point of passing the ally first?

Ha, right! Don't know what I was thinking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Forster
United States
Oregon City
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixed feelings about this hero. Gives Spirit a decent combat hero, which will certainly push me to try a mono spirit deck right away. But more Spirit readying? We need some for Lore, or maybe Leadership. There's already a good bit of Spirit readying stuff around.
I like the backstory they gave this new "made up" hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
[q="KingHeinrich"But more Spirit readying? We need some for Lore, or maybe Leadership. [/q]

swift and silent wasn't enough?

if the spheres start to bleed into each other (and readying is sprit's "thing") then there's no point to spheres at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:

The deck my wife plays regularly uses the brothers with core Aragorn:

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/thelordoftherings/the-lo...

I like it; of course we always do multiplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Jennings
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcd1982 wrote:

if the spheres start to bleed into each other (and readying is sprit's "thing") then there's no point to spheres at all.

I always thought of readying as Leadership's Thing, with unexpected courage and Fast Hitch being notable exceptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.