Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Regenerate & Biological Attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey Guys. As my log in name might suggest, I am a Species 8472 player (Dominion as well). I'm looking for a ruling on the Biological Attack card in conjunction with the Regenerate ability. First let me post both cards for clarity.


The Regenerate ability states that you can't make any attack on the turn that you heal and I guess the real question is: Is Biological attack an attack? Now on the surface that looks like a dumb question as the card has "Attack" in the title and it is a weapon. I can totally see that, but on the converse side it happens during the Activation Phase, the card states it is an Upgrade and there is no dice rolled, making it look more like an ability.

I don't care which it ends up being, but I just need to know which it is as it effects my strategy and game play. So if I move forward and Regenerate and someone bumps me, can I play this card? Thanks for the help guys.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't see Biological Attack being an Attack. It occurs in activation phase, not the combat phase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mathguy6189 wrote:
I really don't see Biological Attack being an Attack. It occurs in activation phase, not the combat phase.


And all the other "attacks" that happen outside the combat phase are called out as "attacks" in the text. I have to agree.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some attacks do occur during the Activation phase (Gelnon), but they are generally referred to as an attack. Other than the card title, this one doesn't. I would assume it to be fine. Doing damage isn't necessarily always an attack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Indeed. Biological Attack isn't actually an attack so you're fine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unless I'm missing something, you couldn't use both in the same turn anyway, because Biological Attack requires you be touching another ship, which would cause you to lose your action, thus preventing Regeneration.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordaenor wrote:
Unless I'm missing something, you couldn't use both in the same turn anyway, because Biological Attack requires you be touching another ship, which would cause you to lose your action, thus preventing Regeneration.


The other ship could well have moved after the Species vessel took its actions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordaenor wrote:
Unless I'm missing something, you couldn't use both in the same turn anyway, because Biological Attack requires you be touching another ship, which would cause you to lose your action, thus preventing Regeneration.


They could if they're using Ilia from the Enterprise Refit Expansion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:
Mordaenor wrote:
Unless I'm missing something, you couldn't use both in the same turn anyway, because Biological Attack requires you be touching another ship, which would cause you to lose your action, thus preventing Regeneration.


The other ship could well have moved after the Species vessel took its actions.


That's true.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the only weapons upgrade that I can find that does not include the prefix ATTACK: in its description.

I consider that both noteworthy and very significant.

Page 20 - The Rules wrote:
Ships may perform only one attack during the Combat Phase. Secondary Weapons show the header "Attack:" as a reminder that a ship attacks with either its Primary Weapon or one of its Secondary Weapons.


followed by

Page 21 - The Rules - under 'CARD ABILITIES' wrote:
Unless a card ability uses the word "may" or has "Action:" or "Attack:" headers, then the ability is mandatory and must be followed.


Suggest that the text represents a secondary weapon that, rather than being a secondary combat attack, is instead an (albeit purchased) mandatory ability.

Unless Chris says otherwise, that is the way the rules read to me.

DANVAN

edit: funky italics everywhere... gone now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Dole
msg tools
FAQ wrote:

16. If one of my own cards requires me to "discard" or "disable" the card in order to activate its special ability, can I choose when to use this card (e.g. Worf (Starter), Uhura, McCoy)?

Yes.


The FAQ says that "discard" or "disable" cards aren't mandatory (I disagree with this ruling, but it is the official ruling).


Seems like were to the point where an official rules reprint is in order to keep all this junk straight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beforemath wrote:
FAQ wrote:

16. If one of my own cards requires me to "discard" or "disable" the card in order to activate its special ability, can I choose when to use this card (e.g. Worf (Starter), Uhura, McCoy)?

Yes.


The FAQ says that "discard" or "disable" cards aren't mandatory (I disagree with this ruling, but it is the official ruling).


Seems like were to the point where an official rules reprint is in order to keep all this junk straight.


What's there to disagree about? You don't have to use McCoy just because you have him and have a crew whose action you didn't use this round. No different for any disable/discard activated ability. Would make no sense if you couldn't choose when to use them and when not to.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Danvan wrote:
This is the only weapons upgrade that I can find that does not include the prefix ATTACK: in its description.

I consider that both noteworthy and very significant.

Page 20 - The Rules wrote:
Ships may perform only one attack during the Combat Phase. Secondary Weapons show the header "Attack:" as a reminder that a ship attacks with either its Primary Weapon or one of its Secondary Weapons.


followed by

Page 21 - The Rules - under 'CARD ABILITIES' wrote:
Unless a card ability uses the word "may" or has "Action:" or "Attack:" headers, then the ability is mandatory and must be followed.


Suggest that the text represents a secondary weapon that, rather than being a secondary combat attack, is instead an (albeit purchased) mandatory ability.

Unless Chris says otherwise, that is the way the rules read to me.


The card, however, uses the word 'may'...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:
Danvan wrote:
This is the only weapons upgrade that I can find that does not include the prefix ATTACK: in its description.

I consider that both noteworthy and very significant.

Page 20 - The Rules wrote:
Ships may perform only one attack during the Combat Phase. Secondary Weapons show the header "Attack:" as a reminder that a ship attacks with either its Primary Weapon or one of its Secondary Weapons.


followed by

Page 21 - The Rules - under 'CARD ABILITIES' wrote:
Unless a card ability uses the word "may" or has "Action:" or "Attack:" headers, then the ability is mandatory and must be followed.


Suggest that the text represents a secondary weapon that, rather than being a secondary combat attack, is instead an (albeit purchased) mandatory ability.

Unless Chris says otherwise, that is the way the rules read to me.


The card, however, uses the word 'may'...


True.

The point really should have been that any text on a card that is prefixed with either an "ACTION:" or an "ATTACK:" header[sic], is describing either an action or an attack. Since this card does not include the ATTACK: header, it follows that the text is not describing what the rules regard as an ATTACK: - by their own nomenclature.

That was what I was getting at, though I obfuscated by putting the emphasis where it shouldn't have been in the first place.

DANVAN

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with DanVan. The first line of the card is the part that matters for that rule. The ones that are listed as "Action:" or "Attack:" are actions or attacks. Since this card does not have the proper header, it is not an attack, just an ability of the upgrade that can be triggered in addition to normal actions/attacks available for the turn.

I see no reason that you could not use this ability along with Regenerate in the same turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.