Subject: Several rule clarifications for Zen Garden (not Rock) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not yet played the game, merely reading the rules, but am unclear on several points...

1) in Zen Garden, you may: [three actions listed]. Must they be done in the order listed (seems like Yes, but want to check)? Is drawing and/or placing a tile optional, or only scoring is, and I must both play and draw? Or can I completely skip my turn this way? Or can I only do one of these three things?

2) in Zen Garden, the game ends immediately if you cannot draw a tile at the end of your turn. Does this only happen if you choose to use the Draw a New Tile action, or regardless?

3) (nitpick) the Zen Garden rules state that the tiles can be played either as Landscape or as Pattern. I assume this is a generic rule (mostly for Rock Garden), since the Pattern tiles are never played as such, merely scored. If not, is there some other way of playing these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You must either place or replace a tile, and then you must draw a tile, and then you may reveal your signature tile. "May" simply acknowledges that you have options, but not the option to ignore the listed steps (in order).

2. See 1. You must draw a tile, therefore the game will end at that point

3. The wording is to recognize that the first tile that you draw (your signature pattern) comes from the same tile set as the landscape tiles. There's no way in Zen Garden to play a tile as a pattern tile after you draw your first (pattern) tile.

I hope that helps!
Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, that clarifies things!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.