Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With the progress board draw and event cards being very random, I wanted to try some other mechanics that might help with this a little.
So here is another idea I had that might also add some extra player interaction.

Setup
- Do not use the Progress Board.
- Players start with 2 addition gold each.

Each Age
Drafting Phase
- Shuffle all current age cards and deal 9 cards to each player.
- Players then draft in a 7-wonders style card draft, keeping 1 card and passing the rest clockwise (anti-clockwise in 2nd & 4th ages) until all players have 8 cards, discarding the final card.
Planning Phase
- Players split their 8 cards into 2 piles, 1 pile for each round. Pile 1 can only be used during the 1st round that age, and Pile 2 can only be used on the 2nd round that age.

Each Round (2 rounds per Age)
Event Bidding Phase
- Draw the top 2 event cards for the current age.
- Place an A token (or food token) on card-1, and a B token (or stone token) on card-2.
- Players then blind bid on which event will activate this round. Using Gold, and the A/B (food/stone) token to show which card they are bidding on and how much. (place gold & chosen token in closed fist and all reveal simultaneously)
- The event card with the most Gold bids becomes the active event card this round. Discard the other event card. Ties are broken on Stability order and then Turn order. Gold from all bids are lost.

Playing Progress Cards
- Players pay 1 Gold to use any progress card saved for the current round. Again, players can only purchase cards from Pile-1 in Round-1, and cards in Pile-2 in Round-2.

That's it!
It sounds more complicated than it is, but this variant allows players to see a great many more cards, do some real planning at the start of each age, and adds some player interaction with bidding on events (which helps negate some of the randomness of events)

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Rise and fall of Anvalor, designed by me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think this variant would reduce interaction... Prioritizing among the choices others might grab before you is important for the game.

To me the event bidding seems like a huge time sink as you need to guess allthe other cards the others have with only the draft info (highly variable depending on player count).

My guess is that this will not work very well, but if you try it I would be very happy to hear about how it worked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure either, but the draft mechanic was raised in the other thread so I thought I'd expand on it here.

I really do like the concept of the event bidding though.
I think that would add an element of interaction, which voting/bidding often does. It also gives the opportunity to negate some of the randomness of the events. If an event comes that you know you can't avoid, pay more gold to bid on the other event! Of course, you may still lose, so that is a risk. But at least you have information to base that risk on.

The draft could be interesting. You can build a 2-round strategy instead of being completely tactical (1 round at a time).

It would probably be simpler if you just had all 8 cards to choose from in the round, and paid 1 Gold for the 1st cards, 2 gold for the next 2 cards, etc each round. Gets rid of the "planning" phase, and raises gold cost average to closer to the average cost in the standard game.

Anyway, if I can ever convince my group to try this, as it is pretty radical, I'll let you know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.