Popular Tags: [View All]
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took a little while to get into and remember which things were which (got cigars and tobacco mixed up a bit and when buying building, got coins and VP buildings mixed up) but it was pretty fun.

Starting off, most of us (like 3 of us, the beginners, in a row) did pretty much the same exact combination: worker for resources -> architect for building -> shipping/trading person for shipping or trading. The other two people did similar things, but out of order.

We all more or less went for different startegies. The guy to my right made a water engine of sorts where he built a double water building and got the water VP building on the same row, and would foreman those buildings. He also did some shipping on the side, but he messed which one to buy one or twice like me.

The girl to my left created a money engine (will explain why - the money subsidy) of sorts and did some shipping and trading.

The experienced guy to the girl's left made a money engine too, though his was better - 10 coins per turn or so by the 4th round. He also had a building that vetoed a law, so he forced the money subsidy to stay in play (he was generating the most money)

I dont remember what the fifth guy did buy he did resources, buying resources, and shipping iirc.

My strategy was one of the wooden cubes (the white one - wood? not sure). I made a building that changed them into VPs, but it wasn't efficient since I could only gain one cube per turn. I also built a 2 VP building to aid that a bit. In addition, I and the guy to my right both messed up our buildings a bit - I got the wrong resource since I got the VP and coin symbols mixed up, and he misread his building as well.

The subsidy was 1 pt per 3 coins you have. Since the one experienced guy forced it to stay in play with his veto, none of the rest of us could change it, and he was making a lot of money. Fortunately, my initial engine made the most VPs and I had the most initial money from mayoring 4 coins multiple times so I was about 7 VP in the lead. I spent pretty much every turn mayoring for 4 coins asap so i could semi keep up with his money production, and I also architect'ed for 2 VPs after my initial 2 buildings.

This garnered 3 VPs from buildings, 2 VPs from architect, and several VPs from the tax/subsidy, etc for about 11 VPs per turn or so for me. I don't remember every one else's, but I think it was approximately 8-10 VPs for the water engine guy (but it took him til 4th round to get that working well so he was behind), 3-6 VP for the other two, and about 9-14 VPs for the money engine guy.

I held my lead through the end of the game with my basic buildings and architect, and the final score before buildings was me at ~77 pts, the money engine guy at ~72 PTs, the water engine guy and the others were in the 50-60s range, but I dont recall exactly.

Next was buildings - I got 6 pts from 3 buildings for ~83 pts and the other guy got 12 pts from his buildings for ~84 pts. The others reached in the 50s/60s to 70s I think, but I don't recall exactly because I was really surprised at being overtaken.

Overall, it was a really enjoyable game though I wish I hadn't gotten certain symbols mixed up initially. I thought I was doing really well when I maintained my 4-8 pt lead throughout pretty much the whole game but I was shocked at the 1 pt difference. Overall, very fun though, and it makes me want to try Puerto Rico out now too.

My only qualm was probably that downtime felt high and I could really feel the time ticking as the other beginner players decided too. But I suppose that's an issue that goes away with experience right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
The experienced guy to the girl's left made a money engine too, though his was better - 10 coins per turn or so by the 4th round. He also had a building that vetoed a law, so he forced the money subsidy to stay in play (he was generating the most money)

It's an often forgotten rule, but you can't veto on the same card pile twice in a row, so it's generally harder to keep the money subsidy/water subsidy/etc. in play indefinitely.

Though I suppose if that player had that much money, he could have spent some to heavily bribe the parliament every second turn, and activated the church on others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like blast... I've had my eye on this game for a while now.. and this information will prob contribute to me possibly getting it soon. Did you guys play with the presidente expansion or just the base game of 6 rounds.. ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was too long ago to recall, but I dont think there was an expansion...I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.