Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alecc
United States
flag msg tools
I spent more time clipping chits than playing games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few details in the ADCs that don't seem to have a rule associated with them, unless I'm missing something. Here's the question: What am I missing?

1. Defensive jamming is differentiated between noise jamming (3n) and deceptive jamming (3d). Is there an effect on gameplay?

2. Radar Warning Receivers are listed as type A or B, however the radar-related rules simply discuss the presence of the RWR. Is there a difference in the types?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alecc wrote:
1. Defensive jamming is differentiated between noise jamming (3n) and deceptive jamming (3d). Is there an effect on gameplay?

See rules 19.51-.53. These are advanced rules that apply only to noise jammers.

Quote:
2. Radar Warning Receivers are listed as type A or B, however the radar-related rules simply discuss the presence of the RWR. Is there a difference in the types?

I don't remember. I couldn't find any references to the effect of RWRs in the rules, so I assume they are on the player aid cards. I'd look in the SAM section because an RWR aids a pilot in defending against SAMs. It might affect BVR (i.e., radar-homing) air-to-air missile combat too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alecc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rtaylor wrote:
See rules 19.51-.53. These are advanced rules that apply only to noise jammers.

Excellent, thanks for that reference! By omission, can we assume then that the deceptive jammers are not subject to similar restrictions?

Quote:
I don't remember. I couldn't find any references to the effect of RWRs in the rules, so I assume they are on the player aid cards. I'd look in the SAM section because an RWR aids a pilot in defending against SAMs. It might affect BVR (i.e., radar-homing) air-to-air missile combat too.

There's nothing on the USN ADC concerning this. Perhaps it's a piece of chrome that fell off in final rules cleanup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alecc wrote:
By omission, can we assume then that the deceptive jammers are not subject to similar restrictions?

Yes. It makes me wonder why everybody didn't use deception jammers, as they appear to have no downside (in the game, anyway).

Quote:
There's nothing on the USN ADC concerning this. Perhaps it's a piece of chrome that fell off in final rules cleanup.

After I posted I looked at the Elusive Victory rules (same system). It has a section for "anti-radar tactics" (trying to break a SAM acquisition) that requires an RWR. But that rule didn't specify RWR A or B either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alecc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rtaylor wrote:
Yes. It makes me wonder why everybody didn't use deception jammers, as they appear to have no downside (in the game, anyway).

This was a side-effect of the separate acquisition and S&T processes of the services at the time. Based on what I recall, the AF developed pods that tried to mask the return signal in noise causing the seeker to lose lock. (noise jammers). The Navy developed techniques that sent false returns to the seeker, causing it to incorrectly vector the missile for the terminal intercept (deception jamming).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alecc wrote:

I guess this was already answered, but Jamming Cells (only usable with noise jamming) have a bonus against SAMs.

Alecc wrote:

On the SAM Location chart, RWR A gets a +1 and RWR B gets a +3.

Why am I aiding my opponent!?

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alecc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJesse wrote:
On the SAM Location chart, RWR A gets a +1 and RWR B gets a +3.

Why am I aiding my opponent!?

I knew I'd kept you around for a reason!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.